RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Anyone who installed the Source Engineering “ Comfort Ride Valve Kit”...

I’d like to hear from anyone who has installed these valves, whether or not they worked as claimed, and if here were any negative effects on ride or handling in other driving situations.

Also what did you pay for them?

I’m specifically interested in anyone who just did these valves without a shock upgrade or replacement.

If I buy these I’ll install them first so I can evaluate their effectiveness alone before replacing front shocks. And maybe I’ll find that I don’t need to upgrade front shocks.

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B750D15D-1F83-4F4B-81D7-3F274EC59A1C.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	305863  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'm interested in what anyone else has to say about these as well. Watching...
Old 10-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like Source Engineering products, but you might look at the Super Steer units. They have various units that are rated by coach weight, something I don't believe Source offers.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=superstee..._sb_ss_sc_1_13
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I like Source Engineering products, but you might look at the Super Steer units. They have various units that are rated by coach weight, something I don't believe Source offers.

Thanks Don - wasn’t aware of those
Old 10-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #5

I am also following this. I know that the source engineering unit state they restrict the air pressure in and out. The super steer units I am not sure exactly how they work, but I have heard that they do work.

This is the last modification that I have planned for my suspension, and really trying to decide between the two.

So far I have new shocks, air bags, a safe-t-plus with the super steer trim unit, new tires, ride control valves, and air tabs. I can not tell what had the biggest effect since I did them all at the same time.

I have been told on the BAC forum that these valves made the biggest difference in ride quality, especially over rough roads and expansion joints. Would love to see if someone has comparisons between the two.
crb478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #6

Can't speak to the Source Engineering product but it looks similar to the Super Steer product that I did use. Our first MH was a 2007 National Tropical LX on FTL chassis. I had the Super Steer units installed by Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass Oregon. They definitely helped control roll and sway.

I haven't felt a need with our current MH to install them but I did upgrade to Koni shocks on all 3 axles long ago (also at Henderson's Line-Up)
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We had them installed a couple years ago, no regrets. The bumps and heaves are not as severe and I still haven’t had to replace my shocks
Old 10-28-2020, 11:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One of the big issues that the motion control valves help....is "elephant walking". That occurs when you slowly exit a driveway and the coach wants to rock and roll side to side.

For those with a tag axle, you typically don't have elephant walking issues. With that said, I did try a pair of motion control valves on my 2014 DS with a tag. I was really looking to soften the front end. I didn't see a big improvement. I got better results adding the Koni Evo shocks and lowering the front tire air pressure to the weight chart minimum.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
One of the big issues that the motion control valves help....is "elephant walking". That occurs when you slowly exit a driveway and the coach wants to rock and roll side to side.

For those with a tag axle, you typically don't have elephant walking issues. With that said, I did try a pair of motion control valves on my 2014 DS with a tag. I was really looking to soften the front end. I didn't see a big improvement. I got better results adding the Koni Evo shocks and lowering the front tire air pressure to the weight chart minimum.
I’ll probably do the valves just because it’s the quickest, easiest cheapest fix, but I’ll also probably do front shocks if Im not satisfied. I was toying with the idea of active air, but think I’ll save that for the next coach in a few years. This one handles just fine out on the road in all conditions, but the low speed flopping around entering or exiting a parking lot is a bit much.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #10

Similar results as Don. 04 Allure, Road Kings vs EVO 99's (But, I did buy and try a pair of these for our Steers, to help reduce rough road transfer to the front seats. They did reduce the transfer over the Road Kings (2 1/2" Diameter, first generation Road Kings.) - but I felt the Road Kings provided a bit better handling on the front end. So traded the bit less transfer of rough roads, for the bit better handling - and put the Road Kings back on.)

I put the Comfort Control Check Valves on, to mostly help the coach 'set' faster in S curve driving, and multidirectional strong wind gusts. I feel they added an improvement in 'setting' the suspension.

Relatively inexpensive in the scene of things. I did them on the Steers and Drive, not the Tag's... Perhaps a set on the Tag's would have helped more too.

I find Source Engineering to be straight shooters, so suggest asking if you have Tag's, if they recommend them.

Handling is an incremental game. Tire PSI, Shocks, Sway Bars if needed, Pan Hards if needed, Comfort Control Valves, Air Tabs, etc., etc.. Different coaches and suspensions have different needs. And what one owner is happy with handling wise, another might want more, or less... No right or wrong, just opportunities to refine the handling, and help the economy! (Heck, Active Air too!!)

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #11

I recently added Source Engineering Comfort Ride Control valves on my 2009 Winnebago Journey 34Y. I had read of others on the forums that had them installed and wanted to improve my ride and help prevent "Elephant Walking". After 2 trips I am very happy I installed them. It such a quick easy install for such dramatic improvements. The biggest improvement I found is when you hit something like a bridge surface not on the same plane as the road surface, it would typically create a compression followed by several strong up and down bounces.
No more now I get the compression but no following up and down bounces. Awesome!! The next big improvement was the slow entrance into a service station or driveway with a slight ditch. It used to be a violent sideways rocking motion as the air bags would transfer air from one side to the other which sometime would result of things flying out of upper cupboards. Now the rig gracefully enters the service station without the wife yelling slow down.
I bought the valves directly from Source Engineering for $100 apiece. Front took 1/2" valves and the rear took 1/4" valves. Installation was probably 20 minutes total.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #12

….despite costing over $100 each, there isn't much "magic" going on here--smaller orifices in the values simply restrict the volume of air allowed to enter/exit each bag...so abrupt changes like "elephant walk/Walmart wobble" or wind gusts or meeting large trucks might be reduced, less sure about straight-on bridge seams??? Thinking most of the wobble issues were with the rear axle, I installed valves there, have new Koni 99s on front and 88s on rear. Adding valves to the front axle might help but so far [20k - 30k miles]--not impressed with the results....your experience may vary????
PS--one result is that your air bags "dump" more slowly--eg, may exceed built-in HWH auto-level timing sequence....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Some good points Old Scott - thanks
Old 10-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #14

comfort Control Valves

Quote:

Years ago I put the Source Eng. valves on my 2008 Endeavor. I did the install myself in a few hours.Some of that time was just me getting the nerve to cut the air line. The valves made a huge improvement in the Roadmaster chassis. I haven't felt the need to install them on my current Entegra coach. I don't remember what I paid but it was a lot less than the SuperSteer units shown on Amazon
rayc13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, install, led, valve