Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Good info, but (there's always a but!), how do you prime a closed system if neither the lifting pump nor injector pump can't operate dry?
Well Brian,
It's a long story but, I'll give you the Readers Digest version. I did a stupid thing, I READ THE CAT MANUAL prior to changing the one and only fuel filter I have. I'd changed it before but, I didn't read the manual and, had no issues. This time, for some odd reason, I read the manual and, it stated to NOT FILL THE FILTER!!! So, I didn't.

Well, I installed it dry and, fired up the big beast. It ran for about 10-15 seconds and, that was it for about 24 hours. I cranked and cranked and cranked that starter but, no start. So, I called Freightliner, I called CAT, I called a well respected member of this and many other forums. All three suggested for me to PRESSURIZE THE TANK!! Whaaaaattttt?

Well, that made some sense to me. So. I filled the filter and, had the wife push my air compressor hose into the filler neck and, had a rag around it to to the best she could to seal it off. Well, after about 10 seconds or so of pressure in that tank, I started to see fuel, entering the filter base. (I had the filter off for the time being). I quickly installed the full filter.

I then went in and, cranked and cranked and cranked, NO START, HHHMMMMM. So, I figured let's take this one step farther. I went into the coach, removed 48 tons of stuff that SHE keeps under the bed and, exposed my engine. I found the line to the lift pump, from the filter output.

I loosened it and, had her pressurize the tank again. Well, guess what, it started seeping fuel from that line. I quickly re-connected it to the lift pump. I then went forward and cranked the big beast. Guess what, it started to lite off. I kept cranking for about 3-4 more seconds which, seemed like an eternity and, it fired up and, purred like a kitten, er, a, big CAT that is.

What happened was this:

1. The coach sitting at angle such that, it was lower in the front than the rear.
2. I only had about 1/2 or less fuel in the tank.
3. The fuel level, in the tank, was lower than the height of the filter base, at the the time of the filter change.
4. Upon removing the old filter, that's where things went south, AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT AT THE TIME.
5. All the fuel in the line between the tank and filter base, had drained back, into the tank.
6. I now had, approximately 20-25' of EMPTY FUEL LINE from the tank to the filter base.
7. Some how, again I didn't know it, all the fuel had drained from the lift pump, out of the out put side of the filter base.
8. I was now sitting with no fuel in the fuel line from the tank to the filter base, no fuel in the filter, (remember me saying something about "Reading the manual") and no fuel in the line between the filter base and lift pump.

And, like stated in many of my threads, THERE IS NO PUMP IN THE TANK of many of these coaches. So, obviously, there cranking was useless. So, the suggestion of pressurizing the tank, was the only way out of this situation.

It worked.

So, two things.

1. NEVER, repeat NEVER, install a new fuel filter without priming it.
2. I installed anti-drain valves in both sides of the lines to the filter base, to prevent this from ever happening again. Problem solved.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
One thing to be aware of in that vintage Vectra, Freightliner chose to put only one fuel filter in the system and its after the lift pump. Anything that has been or will be in the fuel tank will end up in the lift pump screen and shut you down. I had a Vectra and had to be towed due to the above. $2300. later it had a second filter added before the lift pump and replumbed.
Not saying you'll have that problem, but it's not nice if you do.
That choice is up to the RV manufacturer, to save money they would opt not to have them installed.

Back when we had a 3126 (2000 to 2002) I did as instructed and changed the fuel filter and didn't fill the filter. No problem as I used the onboard hand pump to refill the filter.
I won't be prefilling the ones on our ISX unless that's what my manual calls for.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #17

Scott, sorry you had to type all that. After I made this post I stumbled onto a 6 page thread about this on the Freightliner chassis forum. You should have cut and pasted!!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
If your still looking, I have a 2004 40AD and live in Carmichael "NOT selling"
Rick 916-956-4243
rick4465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago