Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
T&G

WE havent purchased yet its between a Newell & a Country Coach leaning towards the Newel but will tour factory first. I have read something about restricted highways,(I went Ca. transportation to view and if I understood it you can't travel HY 1 which is beautiful) towns cities etc we could not travel on due to the lenght. How do you know till ya get thier. Is thier a GPS of a program to tell us? I am sorry to ask so many questions butthe folks that live are such a wonderful source of information for us newbies. Thanks to all who reply with your knowledge, expierence, experts and just plan ole advice we appreciate it
T&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
T&G

WE havent purchased yet its between a Newell & a Country Coach leaning towards the Newel but will tour factory first. I have read something about restricted highways,(I went Ca. transportation to view and if I understood it you can't travel HY 1 which is beautiful) towns cities etc we could not travel on due to the lenght. How do you know till ya get thier. Is thier a GPS of a program to tell us? I am sorry to ask so many questions butthe folks that live are such a wonderful source of information for us newbies. Thanks to all who reply with your knowledge, expierence, experts and just plan ole advice we appreciate it
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

There are places on Ca HWY 1 that should not be driven ,in my opinion, in anything over 32'. for example Bodega Bay up to Duncan Mills. Going south from Monterey to San Luis Obispo is crooked but manageable, as well as Oxnard to Santa Monica. The North coast is scenic and I usually go to Willits then to Fort Bragg and park the coach and drive the toad.
A 43' coach has eliminated several camp sites that we enjoy mostly state and National parks, but we have always found a place to park and use the toad.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Some folks get the 45' coaches because they want them and plan their travel accordingly.

Some folks get much shorter coaches because the want to get into smaller campsites.

There are plenty of places that will accommodate 45' coaches.

Towns are not a problem.

State routes are not a problem for 45' coaches.

A GPS mapping program will enable you to plan your route to avoid problem roads.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see any huge drawbacks to a 45' coach. We went from a 40' to a 42' coach and found very little difference in maneuverability or roadability. Most roads are fine for a 45' coach, the biggewst exception is a handful of roads in California - mainly the more mountainous regions. Check out this link - http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...45-bus-map.htm for details on which CA roads you're not allowed on.

A Country Coach is a nice RV but if you are comparing them to Newell I think you'll find that Newell is far and above anything else out there. Once you tour the factory and see, you'll get a good idea just how much. Of course, those benefits do come at a premium price.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Are you comparing the Country Coach to a Newell or a Newmar? I think the high end Newmars are a closer comparison.

16 days until we take delivery of our new King Aire.

joe
Old 06-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyingDiver:
Are you comparing the Country Coach to a Newell or a Newmar? I think the high end Newmars are a closer comparison.

16 days until we take delivery of our new King Aire.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

After a BIG build up by friends on how grand the Newells are we toured one at the last Tampa Super Show.

At first glance it was OH WOW! However when I started looking with a more critical eye it became a different story. Lots of high gloss formica and flash put on unstable substrates with the formica overhanging in too many locations with a multitude of knife edges.

The fit and finish of too many items were so poor that when I pointed them out to our blinded by the glitz group that no one could argue for Newell putting something so poorly finished out at a show. We are not talking about damages from having people touring the coach but plain old poor practice in assembling and finishing the cabinetry and casework.

Maybe I am too critical being a former willworker in a custom trim, window, door and casework shop but most of what I saw would not have made it past the shipper and left the door of our shop.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #8

The 45 is just so small. I am looking for a fifty footer.You will love the 45.
Tireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
T&G

Thank you all for the input.

Joe we are comparing the Newell and the Country Coach, after comparing the stats on both the Newell does seem to Kick booty.

Niel we are taking your post (without mentioning your name of cousre) with us when we go to the factory and look for and point out the things you have mentioned. Thanks again to all for your information. :O)
Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You might also want to look at a Marathon Coach. I was at the factory in Jan and I was really impressed. Matter of fact I'm pretty sure that the Marathon will be my next coach. If I hadn't already bought the Signature I may have had one now.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote