Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

Approximate fuel milage of these 2 motorhomes?

We are choosing between 2 motorhomes and it is coming down to fuel mileage, does anyone know about how many mpg these 2 would get and would the difference be significant enough to make it the decision maker? Holiday rambler diesel 5.9 L or Fleetwood pacearrow gas Ford 460 both on 37 ft class a's. I know the diesel will get better fuel mileage but by how much? Thank you!
Ashswagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #2

8 mph.........if lucky

And if MPG is the deciding factor then either MH will be too expensive

EDITED to correct: MPH to MPG
Although MPH is a concern
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

I agree with old-biscuit; if fuel mileage is a major concern you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.
Traveling and camping in a MH is the most expensive method.

I don't understand anyone with a $300,000 MH looking for the cheapest fuel they can find or staying at walmart to save money. It also IMO sends the message they are in over their head.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
8 mph.........if lucky

And if MPH is the deciding factor then either MH will be too expensive
Wise words spoken by the biscuit.

Check out engine issue costs with a diesel to really pop your eyes out.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashswagerty View Post
We are choosing between 2 motorhomes and it is coming down to fuel mileage, does anyone know about how many mpg these 2 would get and would the difference be significant enough to make it the decision maker? Holiday rambler diesel 5.9 L or Fleetwood pacearrow gas Ford 460 both on 37 ft class a's. I know the diesel will get better fuel mileage but by how much? Thank you!
Do you currently own or have you owned a motorhome? It does not sound like it because there are massive differences between a DP (diesel pusher) and a gasser. Maintenance costs, ride, towing capacity, floor space, torque and hill-climbing abilities, etc.

Mileage is a very minor difference because of the price difference between gasoline and diesel. A DP can have more range because they usually have 100 or 150 gallon fuel tanks versus 75 or 80 gallons for a gasser but, to me, that's the only real fuel-related difference.

As the old saying goes, a gasser and a DP both ride the same when parked.

What are the exact model years and the exact model numbers you're considering? Usually the long gassers use the Class A Ford F-53 chassis while only the Class C's use the Ford 4x0 chassis.

Ray
Old 07-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
8 mph.........if lucky

And if MPH is the deciding factor then either MH will be too expensive
On the other hand, wouldn't you like to know if it gets 2 mpg or 12 mpg?

Before buying ours I had an idea. I even want an idea before buying a motorcycle. Range is important as well. It'd be nice to know how often I'll be required to stop.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
there are a lot of other significant differences between these two rigs and I would think mpg would be farther down the list. I’d rather have diesel than gas and I’d rather have a rear engine than a front engine and I’d rather have air suspension than leaf springs.

That’s just the beginning - not sure when I’d get to mpg but it would be way down the list. And with the differences in fuel costs, it’s even harder to determine how much difference this would make. Better milage with diesel but more expensive fuel, so......

I’d center on life style, driving comfort and handling, livability, quality, durability and longevity - all that. Your going to have to fill either one almost daily, so that seems like a non-issue to me.

To answer your question mpg specifically, it would help to know the year and model of each.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a Class C with a Ford 460, got about 7.5 mpg
In now have a Class A with a Cummins 8.3 ISC, I get about 7.5 mpg.

Anyone thinking about buying an RV should sit down and develop a budget to include costs estimating fuel, maintenance, insurance, camping fees, and costs like tires etc.

I just spent ~$5K getting my coach ready to travel with new tires, fuel pump, automatic battery combiner plus servicing. In the past I've had other outlays similar to this.

Owning and RV ain't for the faint of heart or lite of pocket book.

That's why if I get a chance to pull into a spot for the night to catch a couple winks I do it. I've stayed at Bass Pro shop, Sam's Club, Menards, and dispersed camping in a national forest this trip.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:35 PM   #9

If all else is equal to your needs I would drive them both and choose the one that drives and rides, goes and stops better.
I’d choose the diesel pusher probably.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #10

It's not the only deciding factor, I just don't know enough about the differences between gas and diesel to make a good decision. I personally like the layout of the gas one better but my partner said a diesel engine may be better. The diesel is a 1999 holiday Rambler endeavor 37wds4 with a 5.9 and the gas is a 1997 Fleetwood pacearrow with a Ford 460
Old 07-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you currently own or have you owned a motorhome? It does not sound like it because there are massive differences between a DP (diesel pusher) and a gasser. Maintenance costs, ride, towing capacity, floor space, torque and hill-climbing abilities, etc.

Mileage is a very minor difference because of the price difference between gasoline and diesel. A DP can have more range because they usually have 100 or 150 gallon fuel tanks versus 75 or 80 gallons for a gasser but, to me, that's the only real fuel-related difference.

As the old saying goes, a gasser and a DP both ride the same when parked.

What are the exact model years and the exact model numbers you're considering? Usually the long gassers use the Class A Ford F-53 chassis while only the Class C's use the Ford 4x0 chassis.

Ray
Sorry i thought I replied to your specific comment but it posted it further down
Old 07-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
7-8 mpg for either one.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:06 AM   #13

Personally I would be more interested in he RANGE of a full tank, that way planning for stops if going in sparse fuel station areas of country.

Nearly all 1990's onward gas tanks are either 75 or 80 gallon tanks, and the typ range for many DP are as high as 1100mi (8mpg) - thus 110+ gallon tanks.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
On the other hand, wouldn't you like to know if it gets 2 mpg or 12 mpg?

Before buying ours I had an idea. I even want an idea before buying a motorcycle. Range is important as well. It'd be nice to know how often I'll be required to stop.

My bladder is the determining factor for stopping.

Tags
diesel, fuel, gas, milage, miles per gallon, motor, motorhome, motorhomes