Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
.......also gives back some storage space since no propane tank is required...
Not quite. What bay I gained by not having a propane tank I lost another with the Aquahot burner. It was a wash AFAIC.

Pros: From a tank with cold water in it, I've got hot water in just a few minutes & I've yet to run out of hot water when taking a long shower (unlike our former coach's propane water heater). Like others, I put the water heater on electric if we have it & just use the AH when hot water is in demand or when boondocking. It's no more noisy that that jet-engine sound the propane water heater turning on made.

As for cons, I haven't experienced any yet.....fingers crossed.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We'll never own another coach without an Aqua Hot.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Aqua Heat Pros & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Propane furnaces vent combustion byproducts, including water vapor, outside. They do not cause condensation inside the coach.

Well the coach I had with a propane furnace was a collector of moisture .. the aqua hot none .. so can you explain why that happened ? I would like to think that might be it but perhaps something else The prior propane coach was also double Pane so that’s not it. More than a couple people have related the same story to me about the dryer heat from the hydronic
Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I'm in the group that would never own another coach without one.

For those concerned that their AquaHot puts out diesel fumes, there's always the ability to put on a genturi tube......

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the ‘genturi’. First thing I do when I park. Otherwise diesel fumes will be sucked inside by the ceiling fan if the windows are opened. Made my own ‘genturi’, taller. Don’t smell a thing now. LOVE the HydroHot.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think there is a real argument not to have and Oasis or Aqua Hot if it fits in your budget and the coach you desire. The idea of sitting next to a coach with one of these units and being bothered by the smell of the diesel seems odd to me but I am still a newbie and maybe haven't been to the campgrounds that are quite that tight.

We don't have the diesel on unless the wife is showering and it is turned on five minutes before she showers and five minutes afterwards. In the winter, we are full timers, it is on all the time but we don't find neighbors close enough to be bothered by it.

Based on the responses I am going to be much more aware of our aqua hot and make sure it is not bothering our neighbors. Will have no problem installing a genturi if that is the case. No reason to be a bad neighbor.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #21

My 95 has Aqua hot PO sent out burner unit for full rebuild . still have shipping box leftover parts as proof. There is barely any smell at all.Zero smoke at start up. It can preheat your motor and provide excellent heat while on the road.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Be aware that there are also some LP-powered AquaHot units. I believe Entegra uses (or used) them in some of the lower-priced pushers.
LP Aquahot I would avoid like the plague. Diesel Aquahot is great.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Well the coach I had with a propane furnace was a collector of moisture .. the aqua hot none .. so can you explain why that happened ? I would like to think that might be it but perhaps something else The prior propane coach was also double Pane so that’s not it. More than a couple people have related the same story to me about the dryer heat from the hydronic
There is no physical way that a propane furnace can introduce moisture into the coach as long as it is properly sealed and the heat exchanger has no holes in it. Water vapor is a byproduct of combustion but it is vented to the outside along with the exhaust gasses and carbon monoxide.

If water vapor got into the coach from the furnace, so would deadly exhaust gas and you would be aware of it from the carbon monoxide detector alarm, if it didn't kill you first.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I have a 90 degree sweep that I put on my AHot if I have a close neighbor. Getting the hot exhaust headed up is all that’s needed.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Propane furnaces vent combustion byproducts, including water vapor, outside. They do not cause condensation inside the coach.
You just nailed why we don't want a propane stove or over again. The all electric has pretty well taken over the mid on up Coach market.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #26

I have a HydroHot and like it. However, as others have commented, the repairs are not cheap and you will find few techs who are trained, depending where you live. I am in the midst of a rehab on our unit. Although the unit works fine on electric, the diesel side needs a new igniter coil. About $550 plus labor. When you consider that it is the original unit and 14 years old, things could be worse. For perspective, I replaced the 20-year old two zone HVAC system in our house 3 years ago at $18k.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #27

Aqua Heat Pros & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaboy View Post
Am planning to move up from you 32' gas C class to 40' pusher and would appreciate input on pros & cons of aqua vs other heat system. Will use rv mostly for heading south in winter. Thanks - Arnie

One thing you may find is entry level pushers (mine) may not offer aqua hot or oasis, while higher line models all have it. So your price may influence your decision.
We have a regular propane furnace. Our undercarriage tank lasts 3 months or so fulltiming. We use propane for the furnace and stove only. Fridge and hot water heater( unless a power outage or traveling) and convection oven run on electric.
We don’t really miss it, honestly I’d prefer heated floors .
Btw we didn’t use a lot of propane snowbirding in Tucson and Indio. That said the gas furnace is a bit loud, have to turn the tv up when it kicks on.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In the 14 years I owned our Dynasty the AHot got served 3 times...about every 4 years. With the electric heating element we did not have to run the diesel boiler very much...new rig has 2 electric elements so it could be 6+ years between service on the boiler. When traveling we’ve always had enough hot water for 2 showers in the evening from the engine. About the only time we use the diesel boiler is when boondocking and then only in the evening for less than a hour for dishes and 2 showers. If after 2 minutes on diesel you can smell the exhaust, it’s time to have it serviced which is something you can do yourself for less than $50.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat