Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeautie View Post
Just purchased a 1997 Monaco Dynasty with Aqua hot heat. Previous owner told me the fluid used in the system is a 50 50 mix of antifreeze and diesel fuel. I have been reading some of the threads on this site and am now wondering if this is the proper mix. Also from what he said the system has to be topped up quite often but I don't see any evidence of leakage HELP
Sounds like you've got a really HOT situation on your hands.

Roger Berke is the only one you should listen to and ask questions about your Aqua-Hot system.

His IS the resident expert.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
I'LL CHANGE IT OUT ASAP
The proper procedure to remove as much existing coolant and replace it with new is as follows:

Make sure that electric element does not get accidentally turned on with no coolant in the boiler tank. Turn off circuit breaker in your AC panel. If element gets turned on with no liquid in tank, it will immediately fail.

Drain existing coolant through drain (in your model the drain goes through the floor of the coach). You will get around 16 gallons of coolant.

Fill boiler tank with tap water. Turn on diesel burner and bring unit to operating temperature. Turn on interior heat so that you also flush out the coolant lines to interior heat exchangers.

Shut unit down and drain.

Fill unit with coolant (50% coolant and 50% distilled water).

Depending on how much diesel fuel was added, you may want to flush twice before adding proper coolant.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #17

Before you do anything, re-read Crabby Mike's response. See if the coolant smells like diesel fuel.

No one in their right mind would put diesel fuel in with the coolant.

If the previous owner put Diesel in the coolant, your probably going to find a lot more problems than what you have with the Aqua-Hot.

Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Before you do anything, re-read Crabby Mike's response. See if the coolant smells like diesel fuel.

No one in their right mind would put diesel fuel in with the coolant.

If the previous owner put Diesel in the coolant, your probably going to find a lot more problems than what you have with the Aqua-Hot.

I'm with you there! And I didn't mean to suggest whether the original owner did or didn't actually use diesel fuel in his coolant, just that there was a colossal misunderstanding somewhere along the line. I too would give the coolant a sniff test before changing out -- seems like 50% diesel would be pretty easy to detect.

But above all -- when it comes to Aqua-Hot systems, do whatever Roger tells you to!
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #19

Roger Burke IS the go to guy.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
I'm with you there! And I didn't mean to suggest whether the original owner did or didn't actually use diesel fuel in his coolant, just that there was a colossal misunderstanding somewhere along the line. I too would give the coolant a sniff test before changing out -- seems like 50% diesel would be pretty easy to detect.

But above all -- when it comes to Aqua-Hot systems, do whatever Roger tells you to!
SORRY FOR THE WAIT, IT'S BEEN A BUSY SUMMER AND HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED,,I phoned the previous owner and asked him where he got the info from. He told me the RV dealership where he purchased the coach had a few gallons premixed and them stored in one of the slide out bins. I found the containers he referred to which were marked in felt pen diesel/antifreze for whatever reason, after sniffing each container have conclusively determined I can not smell any diesel, thank god!!
mrbeautie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the follow-up and results from your OP.

Antifreeze that is used for diesel engines is generally different than what one would use for your car engines, different certifications, etc.

Obviously, this was marked to be used for your engine versus your Aqua-Hot.

There are some hydronic heating units which also use different coolant than what would be used in diesel or car engines. I learned that just recently.

Always mark the jugs as to what they are to be used for so there won't be any confusion later. I guess that's what the original owner was attempting to do.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Thanks for the follow-up and results from your OP.

Antifreeze that is used for diesel engines is generally different than what one would use for your car engines, different certifications, etc.

Obviously, this was marked to be used for your engine versus your Aqua-Hot.

There are some hydronic heating units which also use different coolant than what would be used in diesel or car engines. I learned that just recently.

Always mark the jugs as to what they are to be used for so there won't be any confusion later. I guess that's what the original owner was attempting to do.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I agree, just happy that somebody didn't screw up and do something to damage the aquahot. I sure am enjoying the benefits of the system and want to do everything necessary to properly maintain it.
mrbeautie is offline   Reply With Quote