Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2022, 10:20 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
the aqua hot is a great system and I love it . But ... It is VERY expensive to fix if it breaks. If you let it not be winterized correctly, if its stored in very cold weather and its boiler replacement time! 7 grand ..... Copper water heat transfer coils are inside the boiler (not accessible for repair) and must have rv antifreeze , blowing them out isn't good enough. maintenance is straightforward and not using it can allow the jet to clog faster, so use it frequently is a good plan. If you are using it frequently you can go 2 years or more before removing the burner and replacing and setting the igniter distance. You tube has plenty of videos on maint. Instant continious hot water (on diesel) .Coach heat via several zoned boiler radiators with quiet 12 volt fans blowing air across them. Motor aide option that can warm the engine before departure and engine coolant heat that heats the boiler when engine is on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ours is for hot water, the floors, and the furnace. We like it. We've replaced the nozzle and filter. Did it ourselves and the cost was minimal. On the con side, if it goes out, you lose hot water, the floors and the furnace and it is one more thing to maintain.

Some of them have both electric and diesel (or propane). The electric is not as good as the diesel for heat, but we've found it to be good enough for most things. A couple of times I forgot to flip on the diesel part and we never noticed it. We're out mostly when the weather is warm so we don't run the floors or the furnace much.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Slate - Specific to your last entry. No special skills required, as mentioned by another poster look at the YouTube videos. If you have ever had an oil burner furnace it will all look familiar. There are some area to be aware of. First, do not use a heavy hand when servicing it. There are two butterfly type retainers that hold the gun in place. DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM. The ears can break and then you are in a world of hurt. Do the service on an annual basis, in the long run it is a savings. Diesel doesn't do well sitting in lines and nozzles, even if the unit is not running. Also you will need to clean the area where combustion takes place. It will run better and the heat will transfer to the boiler fluid more efficiently.

Most AH units hold up well but they did have issues with the pumps back a few years ago. If you are looking at a used unit find out which pumps are in there. If new, I believe that is no longer the problem it once was.

Someone mentioned winterization above. You must winterize the coil completely and be sure that the engine coolant is set at the correct freeze point. Either can cost you substantially. The copper coil can not be repaired.
There have been issues with the controller and they are expensive (+/- $800 US). The new ones have some changes that should be better.

Standard tools but you will need some extensions to reach some areas and fuel line "pinchers" to close off fuel line when servicing. Also a fuel pressure gauge that will be needed to check the pressure to the nozzle.

Burning out the heat exchanger should not be an issue if you clean the AH and keep things properly adjusted. I've seen AH's that are 15 years old and still running well. You will be replacing parts along the way.

There are different models which have differences in what options are available. Most common are the 400 and 450. 450 has engine preheat, 400 does not. There also is a propane version but you will not go long on a tank of propane and in a cold climate I'd not consider it useful.

Finally endless hot water is endless only if the flow is at or below specs and when the water coming into the coach is real cold that flow may need to be slowed in order for the heat exchanger to warm the water. In the summer it is perfection.

Hope that helps. I've had several AH and Oasis as well. I prefer the Oasis but not many builders supply them in their coaches, AquaHot is much better known. Sign up for Roger's web site at RV Hydronic Heater Forum He is the best there is.

Tom
Old 01-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #18

We love ours.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #19

If you want to do your own boiler antifreeze fill, what's your method? Our fill tank looks bone dry and the tank is mounted high to the basement ceiling! I'm thinking I need a hand- transfer pump or....?
Thanks for any feedback
Tim
BentlyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Both the Aqua Hot and Oaiss Hydronic Heating systems are great and USUALLY come on higher end coaches. Most people who own one will never go back to a propane system, just like residential refers. I don't know of anyone who has hydronic heating that doesn't like it. My Oasis unit I service myself (about 30 minutes) every other year. The service kit is about $110.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentlyRV View Post
If you want to do your own boiler antifreeze fill, what's your method? Our fill tank looks bone dry and the tank is mounted high to the basement ceiling! I'm thinking I need a hand- transfer pump or....?
Thanks for any feedback
Tim
I use a drill-powered pump. Connect it to the drain line inside the AquaHot case & pump the new boiler fluid out of 5 gallon bucket. New fluid travels back through the Bus, pushing out air through the fill tank.
Cincy Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Steve View Post
I use a drill-powered pump. Connect it to the drain line inside the AquaHot case & pump the new boiler fluid out of 5 gallon bucket. New fluid travels back through the Bus, pushing out air through the fill tank.
That's a great idea...very simple, too! I'll give that a shot! Thanks
Tim
BentlyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentlyRV View Post
Thanks for any feedback
Tim
I have enough room to get a small 12 ounce plastic bottle and funnel between the ceiling and the AH. I fill the small bottle from the gallon of coolant and fill it that way.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
6’ of clear 2” poly hose into the top of the boiler out to a funnel and pour the coolant in. It how the service shop did mine
Old 01-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
We are looking at a Fleetwood LXE so I assume the floors are electric heat then. I didn’t realize it was tied into the Cummins cooling system. I wonder how the long term durability will be.
Slate, if you are still looking at the Discovery LXE's, then keep in mind that the units Fleetwood installs are not tied into the the engine at all. In other words, the engine will not heat the water while driving, or the AH will not provide pre-heat to the engine.

Fleetwood uses the AquaHot 400-D models in their units. The models that are connected to the engine are the AquaHot 450-D. I hope that makes sense...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:19 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Just a point of clarification. The Aquahot 400D is capable of using excess engine heat to provide hot water and heating and the 450 is capable of that plus engine preheat. Whether REV sets the plumbing up that way on the 400 is a somewhat different matter and I'd follow Duane's comment until other information is available.

Tom
Old 01-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Tom, not to contradict you or anything, but I went and checked the AH specs, and saw that the 450-D is capable of 3 types of heating: engine, electric and diesel, while the 400-D only lists 2: electric and diesel. Now I'm sure the manufacturers can get creative with their builds...

MODEL 450D

The Most Compact Heating System From Aqua-Hot For Diesel Motorhomes.
Features
- Continuous on-demand hot water
- Quiet, clean, even, moist interior heat
- Fast diesel engine preheating
- Adds thousands of dollars to the value of an RV
- TribridHot – three sources of energy for heating comfort
- Uses engine heat when driving
- Uses AC shore power for light duty heating and hot water use
- Uses diesel fuel for heating in colder temperatures and continuous hot
water

Specifications
- Maximum Interior Heat Exchanger BTUs 65,600
- Continuous, Tank-less Hot Water 1.5 GPM
- Engine Preheating Yes
- Electric Elements 1-120VAC, 1650W
- Fuel Diesel
- Max Fuel Usage .41 GPH
- AVG Fuel Usage /Day Dry Camping 1-4 Gallons
- AVG Fuel Usage/Day Shore Power 1-2 Gallons

MODEL 400D

Aqua-Hot’s 400-series are the Most Compact System for Diesel Motorhomes
Features
- Continuous on-demand hot water
- Quiet, clean, even, moist interior heat
- Adds thousands of dollars to the value of an RV
- Two sources of energy for heating comfort
- Uses AC shore power for light duty heating and hot water use
- Uses diesel fuel for heating in colder temperatures and continuous hot water

Specifications
- Maximum Interior Heat Exchanger BTUs 65,600
- Continuous, Tank-less Hot Water 1.25 GPM
- Engine Preheating No
- Electric Elements 1-120VAC, 1650W
- Fuel Diesel
- Max Fuel Usage .41 GPH
- AVG Fuel Usage /Day Dry Camping 1-4 Gallons
- AVG Fuel Usage/Day Shore Power 1-2 Gallons
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Duane - Betting that I'm wrong will always put you on the winning side.;>) I haven't had an Aquahot for about 4 years so things change and maybe this is one of them. Given that, the "motoraid" portion of the AH was a passive line that was connected to the engine water pump circulation. The engine preheat was an internal pump in the AH. Ask any Tiffin owner from that era about what happens when the line connected to the engine water jacket leaks and your engine coolant hits the asphalt. So either REV does it differently or something has changed in the last few years. The biggest issue on the "motoraid" section of the 400 was that the hose was too narrow and didn't flow well.

I'm sure that each builder does their's somewhat differently but at least up to a couple of years ago either the 400 or 450 could steal excess heat from the engine. You did have to bring the unit up to full temp via the diesel burner prior to running the system going down the road. After that it was smooth sailing.
Thanks for the input and I may be way out of date.

Tom

Tags
aqua hot