Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #1

Aqua Hot system

Looking at a new coach with an aqua hot system. Salesman typically don’t know much I have found. Is this just instant hot water? Or does it also heat floors like residential? Pros and cons? Thanks
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #2

Generally speaking, Aqua Hots are very good systems. They are hot water boilers. A tank with antifreeze is kept hot with electric, or diesel. That fluid is used to heat the coach and also heats the domestic hot water. In some units it can heat the engine block, and while the engine's running, the tank can be kept hot from the engine.
All newer floors are generally heated with electric coils under the floor.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Aqua Hot system

Everything alank said. We have AH and it’s a coach heater, hot water heater, engine block heater. We just drive from Illinois going through and overnighting in cold a couple nights. We’re all electric, so with the electric floors and AH, we were toasty when stopped. While traveling, the floors are off so the back of the Coach got cold. Fired up the AH and it heated the Coach right up. Great system.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Entegra heats their floors via the Aquahot. I'm not sure if any others do the same. The advantage is you can heat the floors off the excess engine heat while driving. The down side is when camping you are using your diesel to heat the floors rather than campground electric. Newmar uses Oasis which is a good choice.

Tom
Old 01-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I will not have another MH without an AH...great system.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #6

We are looking at a Fleetwood LXE so I assume the floors are electric heat then. I didn’t realize it was tied into the Cummins cooling system. I wonder how the long term durability will be.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #7

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the yearly maintenance on these systems, which is a couple of hundred dollars or more. The maintenance on my Suburban furnaces is $0.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #8

What is the yearly maintenance on an aqua hot system?
Old 01-13-2022, 09:41 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
To have a shop do it .. around $300..If You watch, ask questions and learn.. will cost around $50/$100 all in to DIY. the next time..

A note.. With either the AquaHot or the Oasis.. Inside the coach all you will hear is the fans turn on and off at the heat registers.. on our coach anyway.. We do not have the heated floors..
Also there are more BTU's in Diesel than Propane..so you use less gallons.. and draw from your big diesel tank ..We carry 200 gallons so can go a fairly long time when compared to a 40 or 50 gal propane tank.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Basically, just changing the AH fuel filter and spray "nozzle". The nozzle is similar to the type used in oil-fired home heating systems.

I don't do mine yearly - my Coach doesn't get used enough (only 2 or 3x a year), but I do run the AH every month or so, just to exercise it (same with Generator).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the yearly maintenance on these systems, which is a couple of hundred dollars or more. The maintenance on my Suburban furnaces is $0.
True, however SWMBO really likes a long shower without having to do the "sidestep" when the hot water craps out. And I really really like the idea of the windows not "Sweating" in cold weather. Or having to find a propane filling station that I can get the RV into.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
...I don't do mine yearly - my Coach doesn't get used enough (only 2 or 3x a year), but I do run the AH every month or so, just to exercise it (same with Generator)...
Same here. I get mine done ($210) every 3/4 years....but exercise it to keep the nozzle clean. It is well worth it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #13

I’m in the trucking industry and do much of my own maintenance and repair. It doesn’t sound like you need specialized tools or training to service this system. I was more concerned with longevity, cracking heat exchangers or corrosion. Nobody mentioned that so I’ll assume that is not an issue. Thanks for your input. Nothing mentioned here worries me about owning an aqua hot.Thx
Old 01-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #14

The only tool I had to buy was a 16mm box wrench for the nozzle.

All of the manuals can be found online. They are fairly easy to work on. The parts can be pricey.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot