RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I just looked it up, Sand Hollow looks great! We plan on a huge retirement mega trip in March 2023 through the summer. That'll be one of our stops. Appreciate the info.
FYI, Sand Hollow has become very popular, especially in the fall. Our group of 16 retired crazy Jeep friends go there every Oct. They open reservations four months to the day prior to the available date. This year we arrive on Oct 11th. June 11th at 8:00 am was the first time we could book a site. Anyone trying to book a site after 8:15 am would not get one. You can only book for a maximum of two weeks. By the end of June, all of Oct is booked full on the West campground. Cancellations are rare, so plan ahead if you plan to go there in the Fall or Spring.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
After seeing your post I am intrigued by the Escapee RV parks. I am fairly new to RV'ing and usually look for KOA's wherever I am at but I will start looking for these parks. Do you find it is worth it to get their membership? Do you get half off at most of their parks? If so that seems like a good deal. The parks I've looked at online seem real nice
I was an Escapee member. I only used their Bushnell FL campground (near Tampa FL). I wanted to have my Coach weighed and they have a "Smartweigh" station at that site, so I booked a weekend stay.

It was somewhat disappointing. Most of the sites are filled with full-timers (they lease their sites long term) but there are some sites reserved for weekenders. Lots of old coaches with stuff piled around. And absolutely No WiFi, TV, or radio reception anywhere in the campground. I could not use my cell phone the entire stay (which is harder than it sounds). The area itself was pretty nice.

I did not renew my Escapees membership.

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Well, based upon FL420's recommendation I just went online and took a look at Lake Livingston State Park. It looks nice, and we really love to be on the lake. I just booked 3 nights at $20 per night with full hookups! Unbelievable that it's only $20 per night.
The $20 per night does not include the daily entrance fee per person. I believe at Livingston it is $7 per person per day. You can buy a Texas State Parks Passport for $70 per year. It waives the daily entrance fee for you and everyone in your vehicle, gives you 10% off in the park store and I believe 3 nights of 1/2 price camping for separate stays (can't use them all at one stay.)

Also, we are full timers and enjoy the Escapee parks. They are not destination parks, but clean places to stay. Normally there are activities for the campers, but with COVID they are playing it safe. In order to keep cost down, most offer a subscription internet service. We have not had an issue with cell service, but we also use a Wilson cell phone booster.

We have not seen trashy full time site as they keep the rules in effect. The Co-Op parks are owned and operated by the property owners, not the Escapees organization, so they are different. The Rainbow parks have long term ERPU leased lots usually at the edge of the park. There is a long waiting list to get an ERPU lot.

Ken
Old 08-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
After seeing your post I am intrigued by the Escapee RV parks. I am fairly new to RV'ing and usually look for KOA's wherever I am at but I will start looking for these parks. Do you find it is worth it to get their membership?
Escapees is more of an RV-lifestyle organization than a discount camping club.

They own 7 parks. Most of these have short-term camping options, but they are set up for long-time/full-time RVers.

There are 11 co-op parks that are lots leased by the members. Not all of them offer short-term stay options. Each is run by the individual co-op, so each individual park sets the rules (e.g. I believe some are 55+ only). You would have to contact a co-op ahead of time to see if they allow non-lessee camping.

Escapees does participate in discounts at commercial parks. The Escapees' discount is usually slightly better (15% instead of 10%) than other discount camping clubs. Trouble is, it's not as widespread and we have encountered parks who, while on the list, said they'd never heard of the discount when we checked in.

They do have an awesome mail service, lots of support for RVers, and for younger, still-working RVers there is a sub-group called Xscapers. They tend to be geared more towards full-timers and extended-timers, but they do a lot of advocacy for RVers in general.

spuds is offline   Reply With Quote