Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #1

Are my service expectations reasonable?

Maybe some of you can share your experiences with laundry list service requests at large service centers like National Indoor or Lazy days...

First a few bench marks. 1) Just got back from a 4 month 20 state rolling tour that included some boondocks, some off paved roads, but mostly RV resorts and private campgrounds. 2) About 30k miles on the Thor Venetian, 8k of which were the recent trip 3) extended warrantee owner 4) hands on, mechanically inclined owner, regularly swaps failed parts, services fluids and filters, frequently washes, waxes and pours over internet posts, for self maintenance tips on repairs & extending component life.

My list starts with a fuel system factory recall on the Cummins ISX.

additionally I need:

-Awning adjustment
-fantastic fan closure repair
-large slide adjustment
-down rigger foot bent
-forward basement storage floor repairer or better, replaced
-key fob remote start function trouble shooting
-various plastic latch replacement
-a "blind" toilet seat bolt/nut reinstalled

and to top it all off some jerk crossed a double yellow line and drug his mirror along the side of the coach so at least some buffing maybe a minor paint repair.

Is it reasonable with some lead time, to expect one stay repair and attention to all of these items from one of the bigger service centers?
BlueWaterSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Coming from someone who's dealt with a big service center, the short answer is yes.....so long as you allow a LOOOOOONG lead time. Probably even longer with the parts shortage due to COVID supply chain issues.

I had my Phaeton in for some minor repairs the 1st of November 2020. As of early January 2021, they were still waiting on parts & hadn't even started on any repairs for what they did have parts for. They weren't going to start on it until ALL ordered parts were in. Reason being no sense tying up techs for short bursts of repairs only have it have to be put back on the lot, then brought back in a bay when more parts came in.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
Maybe some of you can share your experiences with laundry list service requests at large service centers like National Indoor or Lazy days...

First a few bench marks. 1) Just got back from a 4 month 20 state rolling tour that included some boondocks, some off paved roads, but mostly RV resorts and private campgrounds. 2) About 30k miles on the Thor Venetian, 8k of which were the recent trip 3) extended warrantee owner 4) hands on, mechanically inclined owner, regularly swaps failed parts, services fluids and filters, frequently washes, waxes and pours over internet posts, for self maintenance tips on repairs & extending component life.

My list starts with a fuel system factory recall on the Cummins ISX.

additionally I need:

-Awning adjustment
-fantastic fan closure repair
-large slide adjustment
-down rigger foot bent
-forward basement storage floor repairer or better, replaced
-key fob remote start function trouble shooting
-various plastic latch replacement
-a "blind" toilet seat bolt/nut reinstalled

and to top it all off some jerk crossed a double yellow line and drug his mirror along the side of the coach so at least some buffing maybe a minor paint repair.

Is it reasonable with some lead time, to expect one stay repair and attention to all of these items from one of the bigger service centers?
I own a Tiffin and come to Red Bay AL for all my services (except engine and chassis which is done in Gafney SC), repairs, and upgrades. Red Bay is where the Tiffin factory is. Many outside vendors have made a good living doing "after hours" work on almost every part of an RV. The Red Bay reputation is so good that on our current trip (I am sitting in Red Bay now) I have seen several Newmars in town getting work done. Although you might have to visit a few different vendors, some do come to your site to do the work. I had work done yesterday (Monday), I am currently (as I type) getting the RV detailed, I will go over this afternoon to another vendor for some upgrades, then tomorrow have a guy coming to our site to add the Soft Start device to our AC's. I scheduled work a few months in advance, this is the time when all the snow birds come through Red Bay on their way south. I would NOT take my coach to LD (based upon things I have read), almost bought a Newmar from NIRVC but decided to go with Tiffin.

Something to consider.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
I would NOT take my coach to LD (based upon things I have read)...
Yeah, that's where we traded our last one in, for our current platform. Not impressed with the crew there, from scheduling to floor sweeping, but especially documentation fails... at least from The Villages location.

Which brings up another point. When we purchased the Thor, there was an engine related drivability issue which delayed delivery - clogged up fuel system. It required Freightliner to get involved, so LD didn't even do any troubleshooting in house. They took it over to the nearest engine shop. Part of what I am trying to avoid is any service work, but especially the recall address being done by an off site 3rd party. Somewhere in the chain of custody from LD to the chassis service and back, there was some minor rash to two places that never did get repaired either (although LD promised that they'd "make it right").
BlueWaterSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

The Cummins engine recall issue may require a visit to a Cummins coach care facility. That was what I ran into with an emissions system recall recently.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Bluewater --

As others have stated your repair needs can be done by a reputable RV repair service business. However the amount of time required will be long. The owner of a 2018 Entegra Anthem has had dashboard air conditioner cooling problems since August. I recommended a larger, privately owned repair business in Houston by the name of RV Masters whom he contacted. He was stunned to hear that RV Masters wants an RV owner to drop-off their RV for a week to diagnose problems, then retrieve the RV and wait 6-10 weeks for parts to arrive before returning with their RV for the repair work.

Prior to Covid and now supply-chain issues, the "practice" at RV Masters was drop-off an RV and then come pick it up in 2-3 weeks with all repairs completed.

Many of your repair items can be handled by a mobile RV repair service which comes to your location to do the work. The only item a mobile RV repair service may not be able to repair is your bent down rigger. RV resorts / parks in your area should have business cards of mobile RV repair services and even provide a recommendation for the 'best" mobile RV repair service. It may be worth contacting mobile RV repair technicians vs. taking your coach to a repair shop.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #7

Personally, I 'd want the Cummins recall performed @ a Cummins shop....especially if your unit is within the 5 year warranty period.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #8

Just food for thought, based on personal knowledge of another owner’s nightmare.

Don’t take RV to an unknown to you shop with a long laundry list. With new to you shop, try it out with a couple of items to get a feel for their quality and integrity.

The owner’s nightmare with a long list resulted in more problems than he started with and a highway robbery bill to get the coach off the lot.

Yeah, I know, some of you will scream you would have gotten a lawyer, and if he had not been a full timer who needed the coach for work, that would have been workable.

Yeah, I know, a short work list is not a time efficient way of getting the bigger list addressed, but it would have avoided a big problem for my buddy to find out the shop was wack.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Does Thor have a factory service center? If so heading to their HQ would simplify the process the most - and the paint shop would be nearby, too.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the Mobile RV repair service is a GREAT idea. Absolutely worth looking into.
A fellow RV'er who was down in San Antonio, Tx took his rig to a local RV repair shop. Man did they Pad his bill. FOR Every problem he brought to their attention it took them several + hours to figure out what the problem was each time. And at over $100 an hr that's a hefty sum.
It's kinda hard to believe that ANYBODY that has been in an industry, doing a job for 15-20 yrs, day in and day out, 8-10 hrs a day, would need several+ hours to find out a problem. Especially the most common ones.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Does Thor have a factory service center? If so heading to their HQ would simplify the process the most - and the paint shop would be nearby, too.
I have wondered this aloud and even discussed it with my wife a few times. I need to call Thor, but I really don't need a visit to Indiana. After storing at my house for a few days, I did some routine mileage related servicing, like fluids and filters. Since it's here anyways, prior to deciding to move her into paid for storage for a a few months, I've been knocking out a few of the more simple items. The list keeps getting shorter. I have the tools, time and abilities, just have other things I'd rather be doing. Now, I think the only reason I'll visit a repair shop for, will be paint (maybe a local body shop) and the Cummins re-call at a Cummins authorized service center.

Part of the reason for slowly doing the "punch list", is that several of the items on my list were a result of LD's previous shoddy attempts at repair in the past. Bellow is an example of how an inappropriate repair (an entire tube of silicone caulk) on a poorly engineered floor (1/4" indoor plywood) that leaked road water into the compartment from day one. The poor attempt at repair led to, maybe even accelerated, a complete fail at less than 4 years since new. Under 30k miles. It makes me wonder why I paid for an extended warrantee, if I am going to do the work myself. Although there have been enough BIGGER claims to nearly break even on the policy anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor6.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	347436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor7.png
Views:	5
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	347437  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor8.jpg