Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #1

Are NADA prices actual 'sold at' prices ??

Looking to buy a used class a gas mh and if interested will check NADA before contacting seller (can be private or dealer or consignment).

How truthful are these prices - iow, are these actual 'sold at prices' vs some other price - ie real sale prices ??

It seems most sellers are asking way above the base High price (seems few mh really have any significant options - tbh) so I just stick with miles and base price on NADA - beyond frig or w/d I generally do not care about options.

Have been surprised at some price ranges, seems related to 'respect' for a brand as much as anything.

I am using both RVTrader and RVT to look, I kinda assume this is a good time to buy vs spring/summer, agree ??

TIA !
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 12:23 AM   #2

No, NADA is always higher than you should pay. It's kinda like MSRP. The only exception is if you're looking for a very specific item. If you need the 1983 model year, with very specific features, and they only made a dozen of them in total, then yea, NADA is what you should pay, if not more. For mass produced items that have normal wear and tear, you should be paying fair trade in value, not retail.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:30 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
Looking to buy a used class a gas mh and if interested will check NADA before contacting seller (can be private or dealer or consignment).

How truthful are these prices - iow, are these actual 'sold at prices' vs some other price - ie real sale prices ??

It seems most sellers are asking way above the base High price (seems few mh really have any significant options - tbh) so just I stick with miles and base price on NADA - beyond frig or w/d I generally do not care about options.

Have been surprised at some price ranges, seems related to 'respect' for a brand as much as anything.

I am using both RVTrader and RVT to look, I kinda assume this is a good time to buy vs spring/summer, agree ??

TIA !
NADA is the trade in price the dealer should try to buy it at. You will almost never find a motorhome or a car at that price from a dealer. And if you do I would check it over real good and get a car fax. Now on the other hand you may find a few at NADA from a private seller. NADA BOOK is really only ment for dealers and not the general public. And they pay a fee for that service. You want to stick with kelly blue book values. www.kbb.com
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:23 AM   #4

You confuse me.

Either NADA is 'retail' price range (high to low) OR it is the 'wholesale' price range - high to low - should NOT be both.

I have ASSumed it was the 'retail/sold' price range - and was really asking WHERE DO THE PRICES COME FROM ?

iow, are the range prices REAL/Actual sold at prices OR some bs made up price - is it gathered from reported documents registered at dmv OR ?

Autos have more than one price booking agency, kbb and another (forget name) but these days lots of ways to get auto prices - NOT so for motorhomes/rv (if others please tell).

NADA has place for adding any additional 'options', as well as the chassis make, but it all falls back to where do these prices come from ?

Does the dealer report them or is it something that the data is gathered after the actual sell - and if a trade in then sure the price can be very bloated and UNreal - but that would be almost fraud would it not ?

So still looking for answer.

Thx for reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
No, NADA is always higher than you should pay. It's kinda like MSRP. The only exception is if you're looking for a very specific item. If you need the 1983 model year, with very specific features, and they only made a dozen of them in total, then yea, NADA is what you should pay, if not more. For mass produced items that have normal wear and tear, you should be paying fair trade in value, not retail.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #5

So you are saying NADA is the 'wholesale/dealer' price range ?

I can never seem to get to a kbb site that works for RVs, cars/trucks no problem.

Does kbb have a specific site protected or for pay for RV pricing ?

please give a url if you have one that works for a motorhome.

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
NADA is the trade in price the dealer should try to buy it at. You will almost never find a motorhome or a car at that price from a dealer. And if you do I would check it over real good and get a car fax. Now on the other hand you may find a few at NADA from a private seller. NADA BOOK is really only ment for dealers and not the general public. And they pay a fee for that service. You want to stick with kelly blue book values. www.kbb.com
Old 01-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
You confuse me.

Either NADA is 'retail' price range (high to low) OR it is the 'wholesale' price range - high to low - should NOT be both.
Okay, let me give you a page to discuss. NADA's guide page for a truck just like mine. I paid about $30,000 for it 6 months ago from a dealer. It had about 20,000 miles less at the time too, so a higher NADA "value". $37,475 is what it lists as "retail value" right now. That's a pipe dream. If you paid $37,000 for the truck I have, you overpaid badly. That's at least 15% more than you should pay for it, and that's only if you're generous.

NADA is neither retail nor wholesale prices. It isn't based on actual vehicle sales. It's basically a made up number. (In all fairness, I'm sure there is info used to calculate the price, so it's not 100% made up. It's just far from real world prices.) You shouldn't use such guides to determine prices. You can get practically any vehicle at NADA's rough trade in price.

KBB (Kelly Blue Book) is usually better at getting closer to actual vehicle values, but even it is often pretty far off. I usually tell people, Kelly Blue Book price is what Kelly will pay you for the vehicle, but I'm not Kelly and neither are you. That price doesn't actually mean anything to either of us.

A vehicle, including a class A, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Nobody will pay NADA retail values, so no vehicle is worth that.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
i never put too much importance in nada or kbb, i only use them as a guide..........let me give you an example:.....bought a boat in spring 2019.......nada and kbb average retail was say 12,000 (98 sea ray 215)..........seller was asking 14,000, but negotiated him down to about 12,500............was it more than the "book" value, yes........was i willing to pay more to get the boat i wanted, yes...............there is a guy over on one of the rv forums that values motorhomes............he gets extremely upset at the mere mention of nada or kbb...........he says he gets his numbers from actual sales, maybe he does..........you can use that kind of service, paying a fee, or you can take what nada says, deduct 10%, and make offer.............it all boils down to , just like in real estate, what a specific buyer is willing to pay..............if we were to buy another coach, which we won't, i would take nada or kbb book and use the 10% rule, taking into consideration the condition of the unit, AND AFTER A THOROUGH INSPECTION BY A PROFESSIONAL INSPECTOR OR MECHANIC........good luck on your purchase, and make sure to have a pre purchase inspection done........
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #8

I am a decent mechanic myself, have been a jiy whole life but would like fluid analysis but unfortunately most dealers change the fluids or at least engine oil - maybe not the auto trans fluid though.

Also, and apparently no one notices that on NADA web page there is a DEALER login, so those NADA prices must be 'retail' price ranges not 'wholesale'.

and of course I am only using them as a guide.

if you ever deal with stock mkt, you can see the 'ask' price as well as 'last' which is the last sold price - there are many times a HUGE diff between ask vs last - some 'askers' are wishing for a fool to buy at a very high price - I do not want to be a FOOL when buying any vehicle !!

thus I depend on NADA as a guide.

Thanks for suggestions and I do agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
i never put too much importance in nada or kbb, i only use them as a guide..........let me give you an example:.....bought a boat in spring 2019.......nada and kbb average retail was say 12,000 (98 sea ray 215)..........seller was asking 14,000, but negotiated him down to about 12,500............was it more than the "book" value, yes........was i willing to pay more to get the boat i wanted, yes...............there is a guy over on one of the rv forums that values motorhomes............he gets extremely upset at the mere mention of nada or kbb...........he says he gets his numbers from actual sales, maybe he does..........you can use that kind of service, paying a fee, or you can take what nada says, deduct 10%, and make offer.............it all boils down to , just like in real estate, what a specific buyer is willing to pay..............if we were to buy another coach, which we won't, i would take nada or kbb book and use the 10% rule, taking into consideration the condition of the unit, AND AFTER A THOROUGH INSPECTION BY A PROFESSIONAL INSPECTOR OR MECHANIC........good luck on your purchase, and make sure to have a pre purchase inspection done........
Old 01-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i use NADA and KBB as a GUIDE only

for a range, then try to negotiate the best fr me on how i feel about the item.

i know i got low balled the other day from a BIG rv dealer on my bus value so we took a pass.

insurance agreed value was 60k more than they wanted to give.

bottom line for us is if it feels good we take it, if not we walk. I dont need anything, but i want a few things
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #10

The NADA for motorhomes must be diff - it shows a range depending on other factors such as options and mileage - it give a low-high range as well not a single price - of course there should be a range in reality.

also, on the NADA webpage there is a DEALER login location, they apparently must pay for the priviledge, thus it makes sense then that NADA price for motorhomes is RETAIL not wholesale.

and I have as yet found a KBB for motorhomes - how do you choose 'winnebago' when no option ????

so as far as i see kbb is useless for motorhomes - fine for autos.

so I will thus use NADA as a 'retail' guide not a 'wholesale' guide.

also there is a motorhome dealer or something that does list the 'sold' price of the motorhomes it has handled - ppl motorhomes iirc.

so if they sold the exact or very close mh/rv then can use that as a guide too.

but as with all things bought and sold - it always depends on both the buyer and seller - fools buy high and desperate sellers sell low.

Thanks for your input !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Okay, let me give you a page to discuss. NADA's guide page for a truck just like mine. I paid about $30,000 for it 6 months ago from a dealer. It had about 20,000 miles less at the time too, so a higher NADA "value". $37,475 is what it lists as "retail value" right now. That's a pipe dream. If you paid $37,000 for the truck I have, you overpaid badly. That's at least 15% more than you should pay for it, and that's only if you're generous.

NADA is neither retail nor wholesale prices. It isn't based on actual vehicle sales. It's basically a made up number. (In all fairness, I'm sure there is info used to calculate the price, so it's not 100% made up. It's just far from real world prices.) You shouldn't use such guides to determine prices. You can get practically any vehicle at NADA's rough trade in price.

KBB (Kelly Blue Book) is usually better at getting closer to actual vehicle values, but even it is often pretty far off. I usually tell people, Kelly Blue Book price is what Kelly will pay you for the vehicle, but I'm not Kelly and neither are you. That price doesn't actually mean anything to either of us.

A vehicle, including a class A, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Nobody will pay NADA retail values, so no vehicle is worth that.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Holy Cow !!!! I wish that wee true. I am looking now and I have a 2008 Winnebago 30B. The low retail on mine is listed as $27658. I was offered anywhere from $17K to $21K.

My understanding always use that the listed prices had more to do with the collection of selling prices from retailers and did not include private sales. No idea if that is true at all but I do know that it's not what they offer .... at least not in my case.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #12

Wow the thread has went off the tracks, I will say this though, I feel NADA is nearly useless, particularly when looking at older higher quality coaches. It is at best a depreciation schedule and a poor one at that as it clumps way too much stuff together.

In the case of my coach NADA shows an average retail value of $15,150, of course it showed that same value when I bought my coach in 2016, not only that, but it shows that same value for ANY P32 chassis coach under 30 ft built between 1997-2002, regardless if it is a Fleetwood Flair with an original MSRP of $53,000 or a Safari Trek with an original MSRP of $109,000 to NADA they are all worth that same $15,150. So sure you may find a 1997 Fleetwood Flair with its faded vinyl stickers and particle board cabinets list for NADA or under, but try finding a 2002 Safari Trek with full body paint, and real wood cabinetwork for below $20,000 and you will be shopping for a long time. There is an 02 Trek at a dealer in AZ listed right now with an asking price of $29,995, which I think is a bit high, as I paid $20,500 for mine in 2016, though I did shop for 5 months before I found it.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #13

PPL motors in texas has a spot on their website that lists actual prices of previously sold rvs. Actual selling price is more accurate. Nada quite often lists older high quality rvs for around 20k, when in reality, you would be lucky to find one for 35k or more depending on the model. The only real function I have found for Nada, other than giving me an approximate value, is it gives you the original purchase price. This can be handy when comparing two different rvs. Sometimes one will have a considerably higher original price tag. This generally indicates a higher level of quality or base features that the other didn't have.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #14

Nada retail, options add little value. Maybe larger solar, 10k gen 3 a/c units would add something to value.

Retail is good batteries good usable tires fresh service,

Most units I see for sale at dealers or owners are not sale ready, batteries dead needs tires.and other things, tires and batteries are upwards of 5k oil and filter changes on a dP would run over 1 k for motor and gen.

Nada is for retail if everything is ready to go at a dealer.

Just my take on retail Nada...

Tags
ada