Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
First, no one pays MSRP, so the figures you listed are meaningless.
Barb
The % of discount is about the same so the bottom line would still be pretty close, just a lower % of loss for both types of MH's.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
First, no one pays MSRP, so the figures you listed are meaningless.

Second, whats the CCC of each? For a fulltimer, that is really a question that needs to be answered.

Third, air ride and exhaust brake = priceless.

Fourth - if you are worried about depreciation, don't by any MH - - sort of like a boat, if worrying about costs drives you to sleepless nights, go do something else.

Reason for more DP in the West - - THE MOUNTAINS. Plus, nice big open parks to stay in rather than tiny, worn looking campgrounds we so often found in the east.

Barb
First : Believe it or not, I have met many people who paid MSRP (stupid and unhappy people). However the figures are most appropriate, as you can normally get a larger percentage discount on a Gasser, so in reality, there is a greater spread in favor of the Gasser than I demonstrated.

Second: Although CCC is very important for both full timers and vacationers, most MHs are not owned or used by fulltimers.

Third: Got me there, valuable yes, priceless, no!

Forth: The question I answered was not about being worried over depreciation, just the fact of comparing Gasser to DP.

I doubt that single largest reason for DPs in the West is the Mountians. It most likely is a question of money and where people spend their time. A summer cottage is more common in the East while a Motorhome is more common in the West (A DP and Cottage in a nice location cost about the same).

I would venture to say that more fulltimers own Gassers than DPs, I assume that it works for them and they are not all nuts! By the way as you can see I own a DP.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
By the way as you can see I own a DP.
Are you a fulltimer, did you need a DP, and how do like the Ford Flex?
J
Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe more months of good weather for using the Diesel are prevelent in the west. Plus of course as Jim says, more money to be had in the west. Less money spent on heating, means more money to spend on RV!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Are you a fulltimer, did you need a DP, and how do like the Ford Flex?
J

No, I am not a fulltimer, I was the first time around for four years from 1997-2001. Then I had a Newmar Mountainaire 40 ft DP. We did not need a DP this time, we just got a very good price on E-Bay for a repo. We were looking at both gas and diesel. We just got used to DPs and decided to get another to travel when I retired this time.

The first time around we thought the weight would be as an issue as were going to fulltime. We learned a lot the first time and realized that you carry way more than you really need, seldom pull or descend mountains as part of your overall travels.

The Ford Flex is a vary versatile car in that it seats 6 comfortably, carries a lot for yard work etc., gets reasonable mileage and can be towed 4 down without modification. We also tow a small boat with it, which is handles without strain. The brakes were noisy and continue to be a problem for Ford on the Flex in high humidity and salt environments. I would buy one again. They now have a 355 HP version that you can get with Bremo brakes. I should have gotten that to pull the hills!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once you have traveled I-40 in a wind storm which is most of the time, You appreciate the longer wheelbase of a Diesel. If you take short trips to the beach all you need is a nice gas coach. If you are taking long trips it's nice to have the comfort of a diesel. Just look at all the stuff they sell to make a gas coach handle. Sway bars,track bars, bell cranks, steering aids of all kinds, bosch brakes that won't stop you, spark plugs that pop out, banks systems so you can go uphill, and as a bonus, you get to have a noisey engine between you and the Mrs's. Theres plenty more but you know the drill. Best advice, buy what you like and can afford and don't whine about the other guy.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Once you have traveled I-40 in a wind storm which is most of the time, You appreciate the longer wheelbase of a Diesel. If you take short trips to the beach all you need is a nice gas coach. If you are taking long trips it's nice to have the comfort of a diesel. Just look at all the stuff they sell to make a gas coach handle. Sway bars,track bars, bell cranks, steering aids of all kinds, bosch brakes that won't stop you, spark plugs that pop out, banks systems so you can go uphill, and as a bonus, you get to have a noisey engine between you and the Mrs's. Theres plenty more but you know the drill. Best advice, buy what you like and can afford and don't whine about the other guy.
The engine noise is a bonus, can't hear the Mrs's ask a myriad of questions
like " why can't we go 95 mph up this big hill like that DP?" and " that DP is almost new why is it getting loaded on a lowboy? ". and " are we going to be OK, that DP was so new looking?". I can't truly answer her questions, all I can do is maintain my old swayer and stay off the hook, or lowboy, like I've been doing for 20+ years.
J
Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The engine noise is a bonus, can't hear the Mrs's ask a myriad of questions
like " why can't we go 95 mph up this big hill like that DP?" and " that DP is almost new why is it getting loaded on a lowboy? ". and " are we going to be OK, that DP was so new looking?". I can't truly answer her questions, all I can do is maintain my old swayer and stay off the hook, or lowboy, like I've been doing for 20+ years.
J
Sounds like your DW has a bad case of "DP envy".
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would say everyone is happy with what they have and theres somthing slightly wrong with people that are doing something different. For example, everyone drives at the PERFECT speed. Wether it's 45mph on a interstate with a posted speed of 75 or or 75 in a posted 45mph. It's the same with mates, everyone got the pick of the litter !! LOVIN LIFE !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Sounds like your DW has a bad case of "DP envy".
No, very impatient, and never has been a good long distance rider. When she drives she takes every lane change possible so that she can just to get ahead, drives me nuts. She won't let me spend the $$$ on even a new gasser. That's what I suggest when she ask about the fast DP's. We only go over the hills two times a year, I pull them at 45-50. For me the biggest advantage would be the great ride.
J
Old 04-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
She won't let me spend the $$$ on even a new gasser....... For me the biggest advantage would be the great ride.
Do what I did: "Honey, I'd like you to go with me to look at a 1 year old motorhome that I'm interested in." DW: "No, cause you'll just want to buy it." Me: "Actually I already gave them a deposit, I just need you to go with me to sign the papers."

She was ticked at me that day, but now says she likes (still refuses to use the word "Love") our DP.

The ride is nice. The lack of engine heat and engine noise is a big bonus. Now I can actually hear the satellite radio that I spend way too much for and my right foot doesn't get baked from the doghouse cover.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #40

We started out in a gasser class C, moved up to a gasser class A and now own a DP. I guess we both wanted the extras that the DP offers, but sometimes miss our 34', one-slide gasser. It had an 8.1 liter engine and whenever we needed to climb mountains we were the ones that were passing the semi's and the DP's. The engine was mated well to the weight of the unit. It had a "kicked up" rear that rarely ever dragged at entrances to fuel stops.

Would we go back? Heck no! The DP is quieter. It rides smoother with less effects from passing trucks and cross winds. The exhaust brake is a god send. It is much roomier and has amenities that are not available on the gassers. We are retired and make many trips. We usually make one long one a year. The extras are really appreciated when we are gone for several months.

We were fortunate to be able to purchase a used unit, in good shape, for a reasonable amount of money that we could afford. We put a lot of miles on a coach each year (approx 20K) and the DP should last us well into our final retirement years. I guess it all boils down to what you can afford and what your anticipated use is. We look back fondly to our times in our gas units and look forward to many years on the road in our DP. It's all good.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Update:

Just an update to this old post as we now loop back toward the west.

We've looped through the south, up the east coast to DC. Back through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indian, Kentucky, and Illinois.... and we had the same observation the entire time: gassers seemed to greatly outnumber diesels.

Yesterday, we made our way to Amana, Iowa and for some reason everything seems to have turned around! It's like someone threw a switch and well over half the coaches in our current park are diesels. Maybe it's because we're between two major rallies that took place over the past couple of weeks but it is very clearly a change.

Go figure.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote