RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Are these problems related?

We headed out for a trip in our 1996 Bounder. Generator was running fine, we had the a/c and tv on, when the generator abruptly cut off. We had a full tank of gas, so that wasn't the problem. Found a place to pull over, and hubby went to check on generator. Generator started back up fine. He came back to the rv door, and Kwikee electric steps were behaving erratically (would not retract completely, going in and out, and would not stop doing this). In desperation, so as not to run our battery down, he cut a wire on the step controller, and tied steps up with bungee cords until we arrived at destination. Then we discovered that the generator was not providing any electric power, even though it was still running fine. Opened the windows (Georgia in August, 95 degrees), and went on to our destination. Plugged in to shore power at campground and all seemed fine, except the step (he put wires back together) was still misbehaving. Went to cook lunch, turned on LP gas, and nothing. (Plenty of LP in tank). Stove will not light. So, my question is, are all these things related or just unlucky coincidences? As a sidenote, we replaced the ATS, but that was not the problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
deedeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like any other day in our RV. Probably not related, at least not all. One at a time:

Which Generator is it? If it is a 4K Onan there are a few things that can stop them and let them start again including

-Intake temp above 130f

-loose wire at the output breaker or a bad breaker will let the genny run not making power.

-Breaker tripped and inadvertently reset

-Gas supply hose cracked and sucking air or kinked or collapsed which goes away when the fuel works itself down to the engine. Check to see if the hose to the carb is pumping gas when primed right after it quits)
-Fuel pump overheating due to restriction or age.
-plugged fuel filter. Personal experience on all of these. Get a repair manual from Smokestack.com's site.It will help.

Steps
- Depending on the model this could be due to the switch that senses when it is in or out. This could be part of the motor or a contact on the steps. Which model do you have?Could be a bad operation switch too. I would check all of the switches and contacts operating them one at a time to see. Best to get a repair manual for this.

LP gas. Are you sure there was gas in it? You can get a bad gauge. Try the furnace or water heater to see if they work. If the gas pipes were allowed to get empty while the tank was turned off it can take longer than you think to get gas back out to the stove. Could be a bad regulator.

What does ATS stand for?

Lets take them one at a time. Give us model numbers and see if you can get repair manuals, which will come in handy. It may sound like a huge mess but an elephant is eaten one bite at a time.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #3

ATS = Automatic Transfer Switch

Mike
Old 09-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #4

What's your battery status?
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #5

Genset engine running, no power output - check circuit breaker(s) on the generator itself. Flip them off, then back on. Still no power?

I'm a founding member of "the last thing (I) touched" club... so taking a look at the ATS hook up would be a smart thing. Unplugged from shore, of course.. see if all the connections, screws and lugs are snug.

Let us know what you find.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

When the generator runs but doesn't provide power, the circuit breaker on the generator itself is usually tripped. It could also be an ATS issue. First check the onboard breaker.

The steps and LP valve are 12V items indicating low battery/converter voltage, damaged wires, or blown fuses. If the other 12V stuff (lights are bright, thermostat/Air conditioner, fridge, furnace fan, etc.) are working fine, the battery and converter are probably OK and focus can be spent on fuses and wire condition.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #7

Remembered Another Clue to Generator Problem

As we were discussing the problem with the Onan Marquis 5000 generator, in my previous post, we remembered that on at least two occasions, when we were traveling with generator running and a fan and tv on, both the tv and fan went off. Thinking the generator had stopped, we prepared to pull over and restart it, when the fan and tv both just came back on. Any idea what this might indicate, and was this a prelude to the problem we are having now?
Old 09-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeg View Post
As we were discussing the problem with the Onan Marquis 5000 generator, in my previous post, we remembered that on at least two occasions, when we were traveling with generator running and a fan and tv on, both the tv and fan went off. Thinking the generator had stopped, we prepared to pull over and restart it, when the fan and tv both just came back on. Any idea what this might indicate, and was this a prelude to the problem we are having now?
I would replace the circuit breaker on the generator.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

I would change the fuel filter.
When the RPMs drop, the voltage drops and the ATS opens.

As it recovers, the ATS closes again and all is well.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

Some of the Problems Solved

We are still working on the generator, but we DID solve a few of the other problems mentioned in my post, so thought I would share. The stove problem did turn out to be the gas regulator; replaced that and I'm cooking again. The motor on the electric step is shot; we opted to just install a new manual step.
Thanks for all the insight you guys provided.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #11

If it's a kwikee step, they basically use a car window regulator motor. If you buy it that way, it's way cheaper than the Kwikee part
Old 09-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #12

oil level
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems