Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in the group of used to do it all myself and now pay someone else to do most of it.

I did every maintenance item and most every repair on my previous two coaches. But as I have gotten older and less physically able, I now let others I deem qualified do the work. As noted the key is to do your best to find shops/mechanics that you can trust to do things well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
85% DIY but as I age that is going to go up. I have had neck and back surgeries as well as heart surgery.

From here out I think I will pay someone for doing the tough stuff that requires one to be a contortionist or at least be somewhat flexible. The rest I can handle.

Getting old ain't for sissies.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Mmmmm . . . if you decide to take up bomb defusing, gives us all a heads up before you cut the blue wire. Or was it the yellow wire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
That example seems a little extreme given the context of this discussion, but I would guess the folks who do that learned somewhere. I think the point was that we can learn to do just about anything we want to, the information is available. All we have to do is use it.

Just the way I see it, others may differ.

Steve
It was a joke, Steve.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #32

I am a newbee Vintage motor home owner and have done everything myself or with a friend, to get this gal back in her prime. I can't fathom the amount of money I've saved doing it myself since I started a few months ago - changing all fluids and full service on genny, fixing steps (ended up being wire butt-connector pulled loose in bundle - that would have been many hours of labor rate, if they ever found it), replacing belt tensioner, working through problems with jacks - many hours and still working that, replacing clearance lights, fixing Air conditioners, shrouds and control, repairing awning springs and fixing air suspension leaks. And I haven't even started in the inside yet.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Dunning-Kruger is the simple recognition of a learning curve for most complicated tasks.
No, it's not about that at all. It's about being ignorant of how ignorant you are. It's about over estimating your abilities.

It's what Dirty Harry always said . . .
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I learned a long time ago that you often can do it better than the guy you pay for doing it.
Even if I heed to buy a new tool for thd job it is usually cheaper overall.

And nobody cares more about your coach than you do.
With youtube, and other online resources you can learn the details if it is something you have not tackled before.

And how many stories have we seen with repairs done poorly?

Lastly there is the hassle of getting it out of storage and taking it to the shop.

Regards,

Dan
10x.....Amen!

I do all work needed unless I absolutely can't for some reason.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've DIY everything so far on my gas coach except one, recharging the dash A/C. Didn't feel like buying gauges I would probably never use again. Being able to keep the coach at home in the driveway helps. A big plus is the various RV based forums, You Tube, blogs by owners and such on how to actually do preventative maintenance, upgrades or repairs. Call it a labor of love and satisfaction on a job well done.

A big factor for me is budget limitations having a way of overriding my risk tolerance. Endless research also helps. I will admit I've rework, several times, a few projects. First time may have been functional but the rework and the final result made the project worth the effort. Took several tries replacing the awning material to get the take up spring tensioners correct. I'm on my third try with docking and backing lights and I think what I have now will do what I want but the 2000 watt inverter install was just how I wanted it on the first try.

Some projects may seem a bit daunting but it you break it down into steps, think it thru, ask questions and research endlessly for any project there isn't much a confident owner can't do. Education and research is the key. Now if you blow the engine or burn up the transmission I highly recommend seeking out assistance.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If it's easy and I can do it, I will. However, there are some things that are best left to professionals. My RV tech is excellent and often finds things wrong I would have missed. It's worth it to have to him do it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #37

I am on my third RV and putting up with all the salesmen's promises to fix every thing after I buy it and their shody repairs to ware me down until I take the coach as is. My last coach, the offer I made was that they not touch it and I would do all repairs and reduce the price the amount the salesmen said they would have to put in to it.(5-8 g) after the agreed on price. I loved the last guy that worked on it. He took such good care of it like it was his own(me). I didn't use the cheapest things I could put in and I harnessed all wires back the way they were (no zip ties) ect. My first two coaches were raped (every other screw put back in, Machine crews replaced with self tappers ect). they even took the wire and line holders off and replaced with cheap zip ties. They love the zip ties. Then pushed it out the door and tell me they did every thing promised. I fix every thing I possibly can and try to make it as dependable for long trips. It is getting harder to crawl around on that motor though. The more I know, The more comfortable I am 2000 miles from home. Sorry to rant so much.