Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What, Me Worry?

House side I'm not overly concerned as many of the potential single points of failure have alternatives that might not be a perfect fit while the form and function are. Worse case scenario I replace the entire assembly rather than the lowest repairable which for some of the house appliances might be my only option.

The coach chassis being a Ford F53 has changed somewhat over the years but generally parts from Ford, aftermarket or other alternatives for my model year are still widely available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	221219-full.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	347605  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #30

I hardly ever am concerned about things that could happen while traveling using our RV. As others have said, most things can wait until you reach home base, wherever that may be or are repairable.

Now I did worry some years ago when we were offshore fishing. Our ventures took us out max 30 miles and if you broke down, which we never did, it could create a problem. But that’s off topic.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Not every part is on back order or awaiting production in some far-off place! Unless you've reason to suspect the condition of your coach I'd say "go for it."

Have a Plan B and Plan C. If those fail, back up and punt.
That’s true, just got a new step motor and a Coleman ac squirrel cage fan in Two days from Amazon.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #32

I started out getting all my needed auto parts at a junkyard. If any truth to the worriers (which I doubt as all shelves in Idaho are full) I can always go back to that.

For coach parts I can always do without as long as it takes. I used to backpack for weeks so know nothing the coach provides is essential.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:14 PM   #33

If your left arm quit working do you carry a spare with you ? Having said that unless you tow another Motorhome behind you for parts , you can only carry the most common parts,,belts,,hoses,, filters,,fuses etc…
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:29 PM   #34

I carry tools if it breaks I fix it. If I can’t fixit I go home
foneguy493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #35

I called the St. Louis Cummins dealer, he said their not aware that there’s a pervasive shortage, said theirs always delays for one part or another but experienced mechanics know work arounds. They said they can get parts from other dealers and after market parts worst case.

I called freightliner here, they said the same. I asked about air bags for my coach they said they don’t have the freightliner bags but can get Firestone substitute bags

Likely the are some parts unavailable & potential delays but it does seem pervasive to me.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #36

Cuba hasn’t had car parts for years, and they survived.

What Would MacGyver Do?: True Stories of Improvised Genius in Everyday... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0452289297...VHHX4RBF1R7V1P
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #37

Of the several reasons for buying a Prevost conversion one of them was the fact that Prevost is primarily in business to support commercial customers who depend on getting their bus back on the road fast. I’ve experienced this fast efficient service in the past couple years since my purchase, benefiting from the fact that there is a Prevost service center 20 miles from where I store my bus. And no I’m not a super rich guy who spent $2.5mil. My bus is 15 years old and I paid half what a high end class A costs new.
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:33 PM   #38

No.
Specifically bought most common, vanilla RV around to make these issues simpler in 2017. E450 based no slide class C thor 23u can be fixed almost anywhere. Can't think of any show stoppers in the house part. The chassis is as vanilla as it gets.

Rving to see stuff is my hobby. Worrying about parts supplies and fixing stuff..isn't
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
We did 9K in 4 months. Came home with a long list of "deferred maintenance" items.

Never even gave any concern to the latest media fabricated reason not to live...the "Great Supply Chain Meltdown". Many parts can be fabricated, improvised of simply done without.
If you think it's "fabricated", you're not paying attention. It's very real...I have SEEN trucks OOS for weeks because there is a part the shop simply cannot get. It's not available anywhere at any price.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #40

Parts are on short supply because parts suppliers are supplying RV manufacturers first. I heard that from the horses mouth at Hwh. I would imagine all other parts suppliers are doing the same thing.
2peasinaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by foneguy493 View Post
I carry tools if it breaks I fix it. If I can’t fixit I go home
If you can get it home.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I called the St. Louis Cummins dealer, he said their not aware that there’s a pervasive shortage, said theirs always delays for one part or another but experienced mechanics know work arounds. They said they can get parts from other dealers and after market parts worst case.

I called freightliner here, they said the same. I asked about air bags for my coach they said they don’t have the freightliner bags but can get Firestone substitute bags

Likely the are some parts unavailable & potential delays but it does seem pervasive to me.
My company had a truck OOS for a month waiting for a turbocharger. Same shop had a box truck OOS for a month and a half waiting on...head gaskets!

Tags
parts, travel