Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #43

We travel so we don't worry about everyday stuff.
Burn Rubber. See the sights. Have a cold one at the end of the traveling day.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 05:35 PM   #44

No, Workhorse parts have always been reddily available, as long as i can find a medium duty truck supply store.
fitzjohnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peasinaRV View Post
Parts are on short supply because parts suppliers are supplying RV manufacturers first. I heard that from the horses mouth at Hwh. I would imagine all other parts suppliers are doing the same thing.
I have been waiting since the first of June for a rear leveling jack....every time I call they say "we don't have an ETA yet"....but this confirms what I have been believing since it was ordered and they quoted 6 weeks for delivery....manufacturers first, owners, who cares about them, no real money there....but they take payment right away...
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a newer gas coach but parts have been hard to come by even before the pandemic. We also had to wait forever to get service appointments before the pandemic. It is more of an issue now but I try to be proactive when it comes to maintenance. So far we haven't had any major issues and hopeful that continues.
We still plan on heading south for this winter and then to California next winter. Unless something unforeseeable happens, we plan on continuing as usual
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #47

Very smart to keep common maintenance / simple repair items in inventory. Belts, bulbs, filters, bolts, tie wraps, duct tape, etc.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHollow View Post
I tend to worry about possible things that could go wrong... it is a 96 model there are a lot of areas I want to look at. In addition to the usual maintenace items, many things I will change out just so I know they are good. ....been in fleet maintenance for most of my life. Keeping spare parts on hand for items that are known to fail is just common sense....
This is also my way of dealing with maintenance and parts.
I also own to orphan classic cars, and have been dealing with these types of part issues since the mid 1980s. I purchase parts, as I can find them.

We have had our 1996 Flair, since my stepdad passed away. Since 2017, I have one through and replaced hundreds of parts, from lights to spark plugs. The only part we are considering to have a spare on hand, is a water pump. Kind of hard taking a shower without one, especially when boondocking.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Did you ever think that stocking up on spare parts can cause a parts shortage for others needing them ?

Look at toilet paper. Folks bought all the could, emptying the shelfs, and left none for others.
There was no shortage, just folks hoarding it.
Thank you. You read my mind on the tp situation. I was thinking the same thing as I read some of the posts. My friend has a trucking company, and I know he had one almost new truck down for close to two months waiting on a DEF sensor. Other companies had even more. It’s hard not to try to prepare to ones fullest, but you are right about the panic buying causing shortages.
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
I only carry a spare DEF head, water pump and a Spartan kit with filters and belts. Carrying a spare DEF head saved us from missing the birth of our first grandchild. Sadly, I’ve heard that Spartan still does not have enough DEF heads in stock to sell to the public. The mobile mechanic who replaced the DEF head said I probably had another 15K miles before the new one fails. The old one lasted 30k miles so I’m hopeful the new last at least 20k.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:49 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
I will deal with it if a problem arises. No reason to run a onboard parts house.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:04 PM   #52

Alternators, starters and turbochargers can all be overhauled. No need to buy new or reman ones. many other things can be fixed too, just have to find someone to do it who isn't just a parts changer.

There are issues with supply chains. I work for an airline and fly 747 freighters, we are flat out. There is such a demand for air freight we are flying 777s with no passengers just to haul belly freight.
VMOMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #53

The only thing I can do is change the oil and filter. I call a dealership when something breaks. On my way to Pigeon Forge Tennessee the check engine light came on, I called the local dealership here in Pigeon Forge and was told it would be 2 weeks before I could bring my truck in, that’s not to fix it just find out what the problem is. I’m not here for 2 weeks so I called my dealership at home and 2 weeks before I could take the truck in. I got out my code reader and cleared the code. So far the check engine light has stayed off, leaving tomorrow for home. I’ll see if the check engine light comes on again
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:01 AM   #54

I have to admit that I am carrying far more scotch than in the past.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
This is what folks aren't appreciating. IF you break down, even very common parts are very hard to find!
Correct and the problem will get get much worse before it gets better, if it ever does. I say this because of what has happened in the microprocessor (MP) product categories where the OEMs have found that their suppliers cannot get parts that need MPs because the MP chips are obsolete and the chip guys want assured multi-million orders to put obsolete chips back into production. So a whole lot of vehicles and appliances/aircraft/boats are going to be scrapped because basic components cannot be replaced.

Same issue with more mundane parts where the "build" message for the production of spares only have never been clear and often uneconomic. So unless a cottage industry (as we see in old car restoration) starts up, the parts for vehicles and appliances no longer in production will cease to be made.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #56

To answer the OP's question, no.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, travel