Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Those who don't like it, are very welcome to move to a cheaper state.

I did, thank you, in 1994, and have been happier ever since.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I did, thank you, in 1994, and have been happier ever since.
Ditto in 1989, and this was after I got orders for Germany. The Riverside County and Moreno Valley cops didn't give a rat's butt that I was active duty military, they INSISTED I needed to have a California license and California plates, even though I was then active duty and a Florida resident. I had to get the Judge Advocate General's office involved to get them to quit.

Happiness was seeing that "Welcome to California" sign on I-10 in my REAR VIEW mirror.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
Happiness was seeing that "Welcome to California" sign on I-10 in my REAR VIEW mirror.
Every time I leave the state I can feel the oppression being lifted from my shoulders.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #32

Come to Canada my friends, you are welcome here. Register your MotorHome for $75.00 a year, not based on value, but type of vehicle and number of axles. Oh, by the way, $75.00 covers 2 axles, you guys with tandems have to fork over an extra $20.00 for good measure.

Cancel my California trip this winter, hello San Antonio
Jdsengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haygood5 View Post
I recently purchased a new Fleetwood Discovery in Pheonix, AZ. Drove it back to California, and attempted to register it at the DMV today. That didn't go so well.

I also have land in Arizona and a Arizona ID. I think I could register the vehicle in either state. Does anyone know the pros and cons of registering in either state?

so far for California registration, I see that I will have to pay a difference in tax from the original purchase price (about 2K) and I was told that it would have to get the vehicle smog tested.

Not sure of anything in Arizona yet.

Well, your sig shows you're in Chino, CA, yes? Where is your residence, i.e., domicile? Where do you pay income taxes, vote, library card, etc.? Just owning property in AZ doesn't cut it unless you live at that address. I don't believe you can register in either state based on what you wrote unless there's more to it. CA wants your money!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsengl View Post
Come to Canada my friends, you are welcome here. Register your MotorHome for $75.00 a year, not based on value, but type of vehicle and number of axles. Oh, by the way, $75.00 covers 2 axles, you guys with tandems have to fork over an extra $20.00 for good measure.

Cancel my California trip this winter, hello San Antonio
Welcome to Sunny San Antonio! 78 degrees right now, clear blue skies.

Registration fee for our MH here is about $250. It must also be inspected once a year for $14.50.

My father-in-law pays about $600 for registering his Dodge Ram pick up truck in California every year.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy
Sorry to tell you, but it's not cheaper in NZ. Your MH is about the same age as mine, and my tags are about $245 a year. They go by current value here, so the older it is, the less the tags. The tags on a new Prevost are probably more than my MH is worth.
Price for gas in Tucson is running $3.17, a little better than $10.
What is a Certificate of Fittness? I have to get a smog test every other year, for $12.50.
Darn! For just a minute I thought I was ahead on at least one thing. Oh well, New Zealand is prettier than California and most of the rest of USA. IMHO of course! (Ducks arrows and puts on flame proof suit)
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
The only thing worse than CA state DMV, is the CA state Franchise Tax Board. (state income tax)
They make the IRS look like your best friend.

Boy did you hit that squarely on the nail head !

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Automobilist: Bought my coach new in Bend Oregon and registered it in California with less than 600 miles on it. Not sure the 7,500 mile rule applies unless it had been register first in another state and then you want to bring it into good old California. Either way when I registered mine it cost me about $18,000 in sales tax. Guess that's how they try to maintain the Golden State status.

Yes, that sounds correct. It's only vehicles that have already been registered in another state that need 7500 miles on them. That's a lot of tax, but if you want to play...
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #38

Actually, the sales tax in Tucson is 9.1%, where I lived in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, it is only 7.75%, and both states have a state income tax.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
Oh well, New Zealand is prettier than California and most of the rest of USA. IMHO of course! (Ducks arrows and puts on flame proof suit)
Having visited the north island on business a number of times, IMHO the only people who would disagree with you are ones who have never visited your beautiful country. I enjoyed it greatly.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #40

Ken, thanks for the good information on the smog. I sent a letter to DMV this morning stating the facts about the vehicle gross weight and a copy of their website of smog facts, and explained to them that the gal at the front desk would not let me to my appointment without a smog certificate. I would like to register in California if possible - hopefully the DMV does not make it to tough.
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Mojo13: If it was me I'd have taken the info with me to DMV and then if the person said I needed a smog certificate after showing them the info from their web site I would have asked to see the person in charge of that DMV office. Your way will work it's just a matter of how long will it take for them to respond back to your letter.

Good Luck. Dealing with smog issues in California ranks right up there with getting a Colonoscopy as far as I'm concerned.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go one more state over from AZ to New Mexico. Registration ($120.00/yr) and Sales Tax (3%) for Motorhomes and RV's are cheap. It would be nice to have a list of the preferred states.

Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, etc.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california