Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

ASME LP Tank - Do you have 2 Regulators?

Started the process to have our 16" x 42" ASME LP Tank replaced. I will also replace the regulator and in the case of this Coach, there are two (each mounted horizontally, inlet on the left and outlet one right). This Coach does have a Generac LP 6600 watt generator.

Does anyone else have 2 two-stage Regulators on their Coach?

Are 2 required because the generator requires so much capacity that 1 regulator would not be enough to run the generator, refrig, water heater and furnace?

They are: MARSHALL GAS CONTROLS INC. MODEL 290 SAN MARCOS TEXAS

That company went bankrupt ~7 years ago so this regulator is no longer made. I believe the replacement is Marshall Excelsior MEGR-298 but waiting for confirmation from them.

Does anyone know if Marshall Excelsior took over some of the assets from Marshall Gas Controls Inc., do they have anything to do with the old company?

Will also want the rusty pipe with elbow replaced. It looks like the metal mounting bracket is made for those Marshall 290's and not sure if the new regulators will mount the same.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #2

My understanding is that the generator needs its own dedicated regulator as sudden surges in generator demand can potentially put out pilot lights, etc. on other appliances if they were both on the same regulator.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #3

You have ONE service/vapor valve that feeds TWO 2 stage Regulators because ONE feeds coach propane system and ONE feeds generator.

Two separate systems -two separate regulators.
Because each of those 290 Series (605H Regulators) have a MAX flow rating of 160,000 btu

The Marshall Excelsior MEGR-298 comes in 3 versions
'298 ........rated at 175,000 btu
'298H-----rated at 225,000 btu
'298L------rated at 120,000 btu
All 3 have 1/4” FNPT Inlet x 3/8” FNPT Outlet - 90° Vent

I would use TWO 298s (175k/each) as replacements

Fridge is roughly 2200 btu (large rv fridge)
Water heater
*Atwood-----6/gal (8000 btu), 10 gal (10,000 btu)
*Suburban....12,000 btu (6/10/12 gal)
Furnace----25K to 40K depending on model
Stove top
*1 High burner-----9000 btu
*2 Low burners----5000/ea btu
Oven...roughly 2200 btu

Using HIGH capacity numbers.....80,000 btu
Gen btu rating?? Roughly 120,000 btu

**Regulator btu rating should be twice the demand so regulator is not maxed out
160,000 btu rating is 'normal' for RV LP demands
It is also adequate for Gen Demands
Hence the need for TWO regulators

I would replace EVERYTHING from nipple on Service valve outlet to the fittings on both hoses.
Using the 298 regulators...one for each system
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

I take it the current regulators on this Coach are what are called a 90 degree Vent, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Does anyone know if Marshall Excelsior took over some of the assets from Marshall Gas Controls Inc., do they have anything to do with the old company?

Will also want the rusty pipe with elbow replaced. It looks like the metal mounting bracket is made for those Marshall 290's and not sure if the new regulators will mount the same.
I have seen this question in past posts (if Marshall Excelsior has anything to do with Mashall Gas Controls Inc.) and got a reply back from them:

Quote:
Marshall Gas Controls has been out of business for several years, and there was never any connection between them and Marshall Excelsior. However, our MEGR-298 will be a direct replacement for the model 290 that you have. The tee & elbow, etc. are common hardware items that we do not carry. The regulator has a 1/4” female NPT inlet connection, so you can use all 1/4” pipe fittings. It looks like this setup uses close nipples to go from the tee and elbow to the regulator inlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I would replace EVERYTHING from nipple on Service valve outlet to the fittings on both hoses.
Using the 298 regulators...one for each system
Yes, looks like 2 MEGR-298 will replace the current ones. I don't know about mounting, is there a standard mounting bracket or method for installing a 2 MEGR-298 system (horizontally)?

The MEGR-298 appears to have 2 vents and gauge ports which I assume are for installing optional site Gauges(?). The original 290 seems to only have 1 vent on the large regulator.

On eBay, I do see some 'New Old Stock" Marshall Gas 290's, not sure I should go that route though.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
I take it the current regulators on this Coach are what are called a 90 degree Vent, correct?

YES..that is correct ---90* vent
(2nd stage vent point DOWNWARD with reg mounted HORIZONTAL)

Yes, looks like 2 MEGR-298 will replace the current ones. I don't know about mounting, is there a standard mounting bracket or method for installing a 2 MEGR-298 system (horizontally)?

Current mount/bracket should work as they are NOT part of old regulators.

If not....use small 'U' bolts with current bracket

The MEGR-298 appears to have 2 vents and gauge ports which I assume are for installing optional site Gauges(?). The original 290 seems to only have 1 vent on the large regulator.

YES.....the 298 has 1/8" NPT gauge ports on both 1st & 2nd Stage bodies
(1st stage ---tank pressure/250# & 2nd stage----0.4psi/11" WC)
Both stages have VENTS...1st stage is a 'pin hole' and 2nd stage is the LARGE screened one (Old ones also)

On eBay, I do see some 'New Old Stock" Marshall Gas 290's, not sure I should go that route though.

CORRECT.......they are 'NOS' (New OLD stock----sitting on a shelf some where for YEARS) PASS!

Hardest part will be disassembling---good luck
Old 09-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Hardest part will be disassembling---good luck
The company I ordered the tank from will do this. They are next to Cummins NW who could also install the tank for me, Cummins also have experience getting old rusty bolts (and things) off by heat, welding a another bolt to the stuck one etc.. They had to do this when they replaced all 4 shocks. So if NorthwestCoach has an issue, may have Cummins do it.

Quote:
CORRECT.......they are 'NOS' (New OLD stock----sitting on a shelf some where for YEARS) PASS!
I did buy my 'new old stock' Bilstein shocks from Ebay (they have been discontinued and no longer available) and they were good to go (the hard part was getting the old shocks off). But, I will just replace the regulators with new 298's.

Cummins was unable to order the Manchester Tank though for some reason but they allow me to bring parts to them (saves on margin to).

Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

Was Propane tank damaged......fire/accident??

Otherwise WHY replacement???

Wire brush/rattle can good to go....maybe new Relief Valve if over 10 yrs old
Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

No one would repair/weld a LP tank, even one a few years old and this one is 22 years old. I called a few weld shops, RV shops and of course Cummins. They say liability concerns.

See this Thread for pics of the mount crack: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/asme...nk-354664.html

I would think they would just remove the outlet fittings and drop the old tank. The new tank from Manchester comes with all new Valves. Will need a few fittings and the old regulator mount bracket I guess.

Would have been nice to repair. New tank $840 + $150 freight + install / LP systems check.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

I too question why are you replacing the tank, as to the regulators, I bought a MEGR-295 off amazon a few months ago for about $30, it seems to be a well built regulator (the diaphragm on my old regulator was leaking propane out the vent hole). I think the 295 and 298 are the same regulator, just the 295 comes with the brass tank fitting already attached.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Just Like SKIP in that post you linked I would just weld the BRACKET

Heck I would weld on tank......

Guess already have tank on order ...replacement lined up???

A 'Mobile Welder' --------guy that makes a living welding/Weld Shop etc (NOT some RV/Truck Repair Shop) would have welded that bracket. Its just a piece of angle iron that is cracked. Already welded to tank......crack not on tank
Mobile Welder would grind out crack, weld it back up and add a gusset.
Probably $200

New Manchester tank should come with all components ---level gauge, relief valve, fill valve, service valve, OPD float etc

Who is doing the install of regulators.??

And don't forget......new tank HAS to be PURGED prior to filling 1st time.
UNLESS tank 'Vacuum' shipped---can be 100# of air pressure when shipped or Vacuum. If AIR ---PURGE!!
Bulk Propane Dealer can do a proper purge and then fill
Old 09-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #11

Yes, new tank already had been ordered and it had to be a special order, we paid $600 down.

Here is what Manchester said about this:

Quote:
The tank is shipped with air only, at this time we do not give out filling or purging instructions to consumers. If there are any other question let me know.

I don't know the proper purge procedure for this new tank but I saw this about proper Purging:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...on-356322.html

I'd love to see/read the proper purge method if you know.

Now that I know the replacement regulator model, I will ask Home | Northwest Coach Truck Trailer and Marine who we purchased the new tank from and who said they will install, fill with propane and do a systems check. I will show them the regulators and see what they say and ask about how they are going to purge the new tank.

I would hope the same company would install the regulators that also replace the tank.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
If AIR ---PURGE!!
Bulk Propane Dealer can do a proper purge and then fill
I didn't ask if Cummins fills onsite or has to drive it to get filled.

Northwest Coach said they would have someone drive it to fill up on propane and bring back to do the systems test. They probably would bring it to a bulk propane source and have them purge and fill.

I did say I would drive it myself to save on that part of the labor and bring it back so they can do a LP systems check.

NW Coach would deliver the new tank to Cummins (100-200 yards down the street) if I want them to install. Cummins can be tricky, they have to give priority to the commercial clients as they come in so ours can sit for a few days - but even NW Coach is pretty busy (15 RV's parked in their lot).

Old 09-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

Thank you for the heads up

Just spoke to ACME Fuel in Olympia (bulk supplier) and they only charge $10 for purging the frame mounted ASME tanks. Asked what is done and he said they just add vapor to the tank and no liquid to purge. I guess the vapor will be added until all the air is out?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #14

The link to IRV2.......disregard majority of postings. EXCEPT for that post with link to earthlink.net. It has the proper purge procedures listed.

Air MUST be purged out of tank using propane VAPOR....VAPOR source must exchange the volume 4-5 times to purge AIR from tank THEN tank can be filled with LIQUID propane (normal fill)

If filled with liquid w/o vapor purge then you will have problems using your new propane regulators

Purge procedure...........see pg 10/11
http://www.bergquistinc.com/sites/de...s/Handbook.pdf

Tags
dual, marshall, regulator, tank, vent