Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #1

Ato fuses

Gonna replace all of my 12 volt fuses with the Smart Glow fuse. Anyone done this and if so, did it work out ok? Would be alot easier to find the blown one. Duk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrduk View Post
Gonna replace all of my 12 volt fuses with the Smart Glow fuse. Anyone done this and if so, did it work out ok? Would be alot easier to find the blown one. Duk
I just installed a cheap 12 volt test light at each of the the three locations where fuses are found on my MH. The Smart Glow device just introduces another level of complication to confound diagnosis.IMHO

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tell you it makes the blown fuse way easier to spot.

That said, on my HOUSE panel, which is where I usually blow them... I don't need Smart Glows.

Progressive Dynamics, being only slightly ahead of the curve, slapped a resistor and LED across every fuse. When the fuse goes POP the LED lights up.

I also have an aux 12 volt distribution panel with Anderson Power Pole connectors.. IT is a Rig Runner by West Mountain Radio.. Same plan there. LED/Resistor across every fuse.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
KIX

Do you guys really blow fuses THAT often to go to the expense of Smart Glow or LED/resistor fuses?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #5

While it does not solve the easy LED ID light feature, you could replace them with manual CB's that mean you no longer have to buy/carry fuses.
Low Profile ATC®/ATO® Manual Reset Circuit Breakers

Not sure of availability though. I grab some off of e-bay a year ago. Only down side is they are taller than a standard fuse so can create panel cover issues.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
One of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BXMSMI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000NPZ4TO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=09GKCZ8P06K1MQZ9R870
is a lot cheaper that replacing all the fuses. You can get one in a kit with a bunch of fuses for 20 bux.

You guys blow that many fuses? In 10 years I have only blown 2 and that was my own fault.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Do you guys really blow fuses THAT often to go to the expense of Smart Glow or LED/resistor fuses?
Kix that is the problem If I blew fuses THAT OFTEN then I'd know "3rd fuse from the left".

But if you blow one say every 2 years, and not the same fuse.. YES, you need an indicator of which fuse it is.

Progressive Dynamics knows this, thus they put the LED and Resistor on the board so if the fuse goes pop the LED lights up.. Likewise West Mountain Radio.. I much prefer this to the more expensive Smart-Glo fuses cause.. Well, I need to replace the fuse, not the LED. and smart glow's need a special dual LED too since they don't know which lead is Positive.

In the old days of glass cartridge fuses you could tell which one went POP without removing it from the socket, but these new fangled jobs..... Well they don't work like that.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #8

Are you telling me that instead of replacing the blown fuse with a smart glow one i will need something else to tell me which one is blown? Can i not just remove the old one and put the new smart fuse in its place? Duk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #9

LOL no - He is just saying PD designed their newer panels with a LED that lights up if a fuse blows. I have used the smart-glow fuses also. Just replace existing fuse with smart glow one. If it blows it will light up. When you have 30 year old equipment, things like clearance light shorts from water, rusted tail light bulbs, etc. happen.

Dave
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got it Dave. I'm just singing the praises of a company's design team who I happen to think are worthy of praise.

The fact that PDI is a Michigan firm and my income comes from the State of Michigan... Well, that's a bonus (For me) but I'm really singing the praises of a good design.

But then the odds that I know one or two of the folks on that design team are high.. I won't go into details but my log in ID has to do with it.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #11

I hear ya. Now if PD would just make a RV converter that the voltage set points could be adjusted a bit. Could make life a little more productive for the boondockers. I know their Marine converters have the options but the multiple battery bank is abit of overkill.

Dave
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too agree it would be nice if there was a range of charge wizards, or one with a dial on the back:

Flooded wet cell:
Mainenance Free
AGM
and so on.