Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Atwood 6gal Gas Water Heater

My hot water heater was working just fine before heading into the mountains, then I tried to light it at 7000 feet elevation (Williams Arizona). Now at 2000 feet elevation (Las Vegas) it won't light. I replaced the thermal fuse and the 2 amp fuse and I still can't get it to light. Anyone ever experience this?
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Could be your spark probe...or eco. Check to see the 2 prongs are properly spaced and clean inside the burner tube...and that the ECO, or wires to your ECO and board are OK.. that all I can offer!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

Key questions.

Do you hear the “tick, tick, tick” of the igniter?
Do you hear the “click” of the gas valve opening?

The answers to those two questions will decide the direction of the troubleshooting.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #4

1997 Vintage......
time for new spark electrode or possibly new circuit board

Voltmeter... is your friend

Atwood **potted circuit boards can be tested using amulti-meter.
This test must be performed with the circuit board removed, and the meter set to the ohms scale.
This will check the continuity of all tracks on the harness connection of the board

TO TEST POWER TRACK:
Place negative lead of the multi-meter to ground (green wire) track of edge connection and positive lead of the multi-meter to top power (brown wire) track of edge connection.
If no continuity, board is defective

TO TEST VALVE TRACK:
Place negative lead of the multi-meter to ground (green wire) track of edge connection and positive lead of the multi-meter to valve (red wire) track of edge connection.
If no continuity, this indicates a blown valve track.

FYI:
Bad Thermal Fuse -----Nothing will work/Shuts off DC from T-stat to circuit board
Bad 2A fuse........Nothing will work/shuts down ALL DC on circuit board
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:22 PM   #5

Did you check that you did not have a blocked gas orifice? Next do you have AC option for your water heater. I have both gas and electric. Nether worked and it turned out to be a relay. No power to the water heater. I did a quick work around and put a fused jumper from the battery to the gas input of the connector. You can use gas or electric. Use the data sheet for your model water heater. Don't be surprised that it will light up almost instantly. I replace the relay when I got home.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
Could be your spark probe...or eco. Check to see the 2 prongs are properly spaced and clean inside the burner tube...and that the ECO, or wires to your ECO and board are OK.. that all I can offer!
Will do
Old 09-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yes and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Key questions.

Do you hear the “tick, tick, tick” of the igniter?
Do you hear the “click” of the gas valve opening?

The answers to those two questions will decide the direction of the troubleshooting.
It clicks and tries to ignite. It even ignited one time but I cannot get it to reignite.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
Did you check that you did not have a blocked gas orifice? Next do you have AC option for your water heater. I have both gas and electric. Nether worked and it turned out to be a relay. No power to the water heater. I did a quick work around and put a fused jumper from the battery to the gas input of the connector. You can use gas or electric. Use the data sheet for your model water heater. Don't be surprised that it will light up almost instantly. I replace the relay when I got home.
It's gas only.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1997 Vintage......
time for new spark electrode or possibly new circuit board

Voltmeter... is your friend

Atwood **potted circuit boards can be tested using amulti-meter.
This test must be performed with the circuit board removed, and the meter set to the ohms scale.
This will check the continuity of all tracks on the harness connection of the board

TO TEST POWER TRACK:
Place negative lead of the multi-meter to ground (green wire) track of edge connection and positive lead of the multi-meter to top power (brown wire) track of edge connection.
If no continuity, board is defective

TO TEST VALVE TRACK:
Place negative lead of the multi-meter to ground (green wire) track of edge connection and positive lead of the multi-meter to valve (red wire) track of edge connection.
If no continuity, this indicates a blown valve track.

FYI:
Bad Thermal Fuse -----Nothing will work/Shuts off DC from T-stat to circuit board
Bad 2A fuse........Nothing will work/shuts down ALL DC on circuit board
I replaced the thermal fuse and got it to ignite and burn. But after I shut it off I was unable to reignite it.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

Spark electrode fires....CLICK CLICK CLICK

So question now is....does gas valve OPEN
*Solenoids get energized...have 12VDC
BOTH have to work for valve to open

Dirty orifice/dirty burner/dirty electrode....propane is only 0.4psi (11"WC) and air/fuel ratio is very narrow inorder for gas to ignite
*Orifice...soak in alcohol to clean...NO POKING/HIGH AIR PRESSURE!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Spark electrode fires....CLICK CLICK CLICK

So question now is....does gas valve OPEN
*Solenoids get energized...have 12VDC
BOTH have to work for valve to open

Dirty orifice/dirty burner/dirty electrode....propane is only 0.4psi (11"WC) and air/fuel ratio is very narrow inorder for gas to ignite
*Orifice...soak in alcohol to clean...NO POKING/HIGH AIR PRESSURE!!
Will give it a shot, thanks.

Tags
atwood, gas, heat, heater, water, water heater