Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

Atwood propane hot water heater

I recently purchased a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G. The hot water heater would only run for 4 min and shutoff. I have cleaned the tank and replaced the thermostat and eco switch. I have replaced the 4 wire ends on those switches. I have cleaned the terminals on the circuit board. I have swapped out the circuit board with another known good board. I have run a tip cleaner through the gas jet. Cleaned the gas tube and blown compressed air thru the chamber. The tank is full of water and the pump is on. Cleaned the ground wires and run additional ground jumper wires. The heater starts up on the first spark and now runs for twenty minutes and shuts off. Cycling the switch inside and disconnecting and reconnecting the circuit board connector fails to reset the heater. Sits overnight and it will restart the next morning for 20 minutes. ,the water is hot for about 20 seconds after the heater is running for 20 min. Have a nice blue flame. It is a gas only heater. Any help is appreciated in advance.
Thanks
Patrick.
sleeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #2

OK.....
1st off NEVER poke anything thru the orifice.
It is a metered hole that allows the gas flow to mix with the air so the correct air/fuel ratio is achieved.
You state you have a nice blue flame so it sounds like you got away with it...this time.
Remove and soak in alcohol then air dry (no high pressure air either)

2nd.....
Water heater now runs for 20 minutes /shuts down and you get hot water flow for about 20 seconds.
Does the water continue to flow and just turns warm/cold
OR
Does water flow STOP????

20 minutes of operation is roughly the right amount of time to heata 6 gal tank of water to 140*F (set point of t-stat)
20 seconds on hot then warm/cold flow--------
Check that showers (inside/outside) are turned off using the cold/hot knobs and not just the button on shower handle
If just button on handle----shower faucet becomes a mixing chamber and cold can flow into hot water lines

Flow STOPS.....
THen check valve in HOT out is jclogging/jamming up

Water Heater heating BUT not coming back on.
Water temp has to drop below 110*F before T-stat will close for reheat cycle
If water in tank still hot...no reheat cycle cause t-stat not calling for it

Swapped circuit boards....
Could still be a faulty circuit board
Depending on which version/vendor board you are using

What model is your Atwood.......G6a-8E by chance?
What is the Vendor on the label on that circuit board??

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does it have a water heater bypass. This could be set for bypass. The water heater should have a one way check valve. Is it in the correct place and is it working.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Listen to Old Biscuit, he gives great advice! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

My bet is that you mixed up the thermostats. It heats the tank but goes out on eco rather than cycling on the normal thermostat.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

Atwood water heater

Thanks for the reply speed racer. I am traveling this weekend and when I get back I will check under the sink for a bypass and also let some water out of the relief valve and see if is consistently hot. I think you on to something since there is nothing else to check out. Thanks
Old 08-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
My bet is that you mixed up the thermostats. It heats the tank but goes out on eco rather than cycling on the normal thermostat.

T-stat and ECO sit side by side'
Measure same tank temp'

T-stat IF functioning will OPEN 1st regardless of which position it is installed

ECO terminals/RED spade wire connections are larger then the T-stat terminals/Brown spade wire connections

Even If you installed the RED wires on the T-stat.......heating would be shut down when t-stat opened
Old 08-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

They can be switched despite the difference in terminal sizes. Fleetwood did that to mine. So if the lower temp stat is in the wrong place, it will open first and put the unit in ECO.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #9

Atwood water heater

Quote:
They can be switched despite the difference in terminal sizes. Fleetwood did that to mine. So if the lower temp stat is in the wrong place, it will open first and put the unit in ECO.

Thanks to old biscuit and deep water. I paid particular attention when I installed the new stat and eco switch. When I bought this bus it was still winterized. I am thinking that the hot water bypass valve was never turned back to normal use. I am going to check that first and if that is not the remedy I will look into those switches being reversed. Thanks to all who submitted ideas. They were all good ones and I will report back next week.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Terminals are different sizes/widths, no way to switch them. I just returned from going to the garage and trying to switch the Atwood terminals on the 'stats. It would be a miracle if terminals got switched on the wiring while my MH was parked in my locked garage, and it worked fine in June.
I'm having the same problem. I have accomplished every test in the Atwood service manual except gas pressure test. LP lights immediately, burner runs for 4 seconds and goes out like gas valve closed, and lockout light comes on. My model # is Atwood GCH10A-3E if you can assist either sleeper or myself. In fact, replacing the gas valve is my last old part.
Deep Water, just how can the 3/16" narrow terminals be forced onto the 1/4" wide terminals???
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #11

Regardless of WHICH position the t-stat or ECO is in....
T-stat OPENS at 140*F
If it is in the ECO position so what....it is still going to stop the DC to gas valve be at the ECO red wires OR at the T-stat Brown wires.
DC Circuit is interupted.

ECO does NOT open until 180*F

Sleeper.....
You failed to answer ANY questions I posed.

Ray, IN...sent you a PM
Old 08-31-2019, 11:19 PM   #12

Hi Old Biscuit.... Need some opinion here please....

I have a (new to me) 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a G10-3E (Gas only) water heater.

I replaced the circuit board, thermostat, ignitor, on this heater when I bought the coach last October, as preventative maintenance, so I had fresh everything in it.

It was running great until about two weeks ago. Now.... I turn it on and after about 3-5 seconds I get ignition failure light in the cockpit. It tries three times and each time the fail light comes on...

I hear a click back at the heater when the switch is turned on...…. but the ignitor never fires or even attempts to. I believe I do smell propane so I am getting gas...
Ive cleaned all contacts including ground wire...
Could my (new) circuit board be bad again? Thoughts.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post

I have a (new to me) 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a G10-3E (Gas only) water heater.

I replaced the circuit board, thermostat, ignitor, on this heater when I bought the coach last October, as preventative maintenance, so I had fresh everything in it.

It was running great until about two weeks ago. Now.... I turn it on and after about 3-5 seconds I get ignition failure light in the cockpit. It tries three times and each time the fail light comes on...

I hear a click back at the heater when the switch is turned on...…. but the ignitor never fires or even attempts to. I believe I do smell propane so I am getting gas...
This sounds to me like the flame indicator is not working and the circuit board doesn't know it lit.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post

1st off
Oct of last year you got a new circuit board.
From 2016 thru Sept 2018 Atwood had faulty circuit boards from a different vendor they tried.
By Sept of 2018 Atwood factory & dealers had new stock.......aftermarket still had defective boards in stock.
Yours could be from that bad batch.
Check the bar code label on circuit board and see IF it is 'Zhongding' if so contact Atwood and inquire....they may send you a new board FREE

Course even if not a Zhongding board could be defective.

Sparl Electrode NOT firing....
*Wire connection AT transformer loose, dirty/corroded
*Wire not connected inside the ceramic insulator (broken off from electrode rod)
*Too narrow/too wide gap (1/8" - 3/16")
*Ground issue......spark electrode assembly mounting screw is ground source. Screw needs good clean/tight connection

Circuit Board....
Spark Electrode & gas valve get DC Voltage at same time
Gas Valve via RED wire

Spark Electrode via the transformer tower wire cnnection

Use BBQ lighter and see if you can light flame when someone turns Switch ON

New spark electrode is inexpensive to try.
But no sparking is most likely bad circuit board

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, propane, water, water heater