Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Auto generator start & AC

Hello everyone,

My owners manual is a little vague on how this works. This coach is newish to us and this is the first time we would like to use the ags and ac.

Here is my question. I can set the ags to come on at a certain temperature. I can also set the ac to come at a certain temperature. I realize that no two thermostats will ever work exactly synchronized. How do you set the ags and ac so the ac will not attempt to come on before the generator comes on?

Should I set the ags a few degrees lower than the ac or just set them both at the same temperature?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Stuart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the AGS on my rig can only be set to start whenever the AC runs. Not at a certain temperature. I assume it just uses the thermostat for the AC system. At least it works that way. Still learning though. It is the Onan EC30 system. Also can be programmed to start when batteries get below a set voltage and to shut off when full charge is reached.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

I would set the AGS to start a deg. or 2 in advance of the AC and just observe what's happening, it might be an advantage to have the thermostat for the AGS and AC in close proximity but I don't know if the AGS has an auto off feature when the generator is no longer needed.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello everyone,

My owners manual is a little vague on how this works. This coach is newish to us and this is the first time we would like to use the ags and ac.

Here is my question. I can set the ags to come on at a certain temperature. I can also set the ac to come at a certain temperature. I realize that no two thermostats will ever work exactly synchronized. How do you set the ags and ac so the ac will not attempt to come on before the generator comes on?

Should I set the ags a few degrees lower than the ac or just set them both at the same temperature?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Stuart

In the end don't think it really matters. If the A/C attempts to come on before the generator, nothing happens ( ....120 v power is "off"). When the generator does start, there is usually a 30 second delay while the generator gets up to speed and it switches over to power the load, then the A/C starts because now 120 v is available.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
In the end don't think it really matters. If the A/C attempts to come on before the generator, nothing happens ( ....120 v power is "off"). When the generator does start, there is usually a 30 second delay while the generator gets up to speed and it switches over to power the load, then the A/C starts because now 120 v is available.
You are probably correct and I was probably wrong.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

What coach and what AGS? There is an AGS me u on my magnum inverter and it does nothing because there is no AGS module.

With the ONAN AGS, when the thermostat calls for AC, it starts the generator, then when there is no more call for AC, the generator will stop after a few minutes.

I think setting a temp on a separate module is making it more complicated than you need to. Remember that sometimes systems overlap since all coaches are a collection of parts from many manufacturers.
Nubulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

On my Newmar, when I am plugged in to a 50A service I have all the power I need for ( 2 ) 15k AC Units.
When " boondocking ", when AC system calls for cooling, AGS senses the electrical demand and starts the Genset. AC Units kick on after a short delay.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Researching an AGS from Magnum Energy to go with my inverter it's temperature sensor is separate from the coach thermostat. The AC units on my coach won't run until there is AC power from shore or gen. Setting thermostat lower than that of AGS will assure that AGS will be satisfied and shut down the genset. If the thermostat was set higher than that of AGS the genset would continue running even though AC units had shut down.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone,

I will experiment with your advice and see what works.

Stuart

Tags
generator