Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

Auto Motion Shades

We are thinking about getting this type of shade installed in our motorhome, electric on the windshield and manual on the two side windows. Has anyone had these done and your thoughts. Looked at MCD shades and they are quite a bit more.
Thanks for the ideas or comments
bjburkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My coach came Auto Motion shades from the factory and they work very well. They are good quality so hopefully they will last a long, long time
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

Are yours manual on the sides and electric in the front?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

If you are in Oregon, Dave does great work.
MCD SHADES
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
auto motion shades

I have the auto up front, zero issues, love them.
front sides are manual, the only issues we've had is the shade won't catch to stay down, going in Tuesday for our yearly inspection and will have them checked, maybe learn how to fix myself next time.
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What you won't like is when the motor dies. AutoMotion does not sell replacement motors. You have to buy one from Rollertrol in Canada and modify it to fit (it's slightly larger at one end) OR buy a complete replacement shade. Lots of helpful posts on how to do the replacement, but it is a real pain to do. Just be aware...
Old 01-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought MCD shades and installed them myself in my previous coach, including the front power shade. After everything was said and done, I found the Auto Motion shades were just as good as MCD and would have cost me less.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
What you won't like is when the motor dies. AutoMotion does not sell replacement motors. You have to buy one from Rollertrol in Canada and modify it to fit (it's slightly larger at one end) OR buy a complete replacement shade. Lots of helpful posts on how to do the replacement, but it is a real pain to do. Just be aware...
We have a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton that has auto motion shades we love the shades after three years one of the motor quit we bought replacement motors from Tiffin had a RV repair Man replace the motor works great now love it again We have had MCD shades as well like auto motion better Don't know what brand of coach you have but your manufacturer should have replacement motors for auto motion shades
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been replacing our old styled threaded accordion shades as they wear out with double RV roller shades from Blinds Chalet at https://www.blindschalet.com/double-...er-shades.html. Be sure to call them with your measurements to get the right sort of inside mountings and correct shade lengths. We have been very satisfied with our purchases from them, especially when they offer one of their periodic sales.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #10

Thanks for all replies and info, going next week to Bradd and Hall to talk with them
Old 01-25-2017, 04:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
We have a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton that has auto motion shades we love the shades after three years one of the motor quit we bought replacement motors from Tiffin had a RV repair Man replace the motor works great now love it again We have had MCD shades as well like auto motion better Don't know what brand of coach you have but your manufacturer should have replacement motors for auto motion shades
Tiffin seems to be the only manufacturer that does this. Don't know what type of deal they were able to make with AutoMotion, but from what I have seen no other manufacturer sells replacement motors--just replacement shade units.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjburkhalter View Post
Are yours manual on the sides and electric in the front?
Ours came with Auto-Motion dual roller shades throughout. Electric in windshield, all others manual. On one of the smaller side windows the "room darkening" (vinyl) shade broke (plastic guts inside the roller). Cannot be repaired and the entire dual roller unit must be replaced. Had to order replacement unit from Newmar @ $270.00.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MCD sells replacement motors. I know because I had to replace two in the three years I had them. Also three of the manual shades going up way too fast in the first two years and would not hold adjustment. Loved the shades but the reliability was terrible.