Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Auto transfer switch kicks out

Hello all, Looking for some advise here. After Irene hit we are out of power at home so we moved into the motorhome. Well to the real problem, The auto tranfer switch is kicking out about every 30 minutes it kicks back in by itself after about 1-2 minutes. It happens no matter what the load, Have had both A/c on it happened also only the TV on. Any ideas here. Found the switch it's located under the bed and could not get the lid off last night ( seems I'm an idiot or real tired. ) Lids say's pull and lift, Lift what no handles there. will get a fresh start today to check connections and incoming voltages.

Just another day in paradise.....

Thanks

Jeff
millred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on manufacturer, the control voltage for transfer switch relays is converted from the incoming AC from the generator to 110 volts DC voltage in the switch itself. So it would seem there may be a problem with the control board in the switch. If the voltage from the generator was low it would shut down and throw a code. The relays are only energized when the generator is running so the problem would not exit on shore power. The switch cover is removed by pushing in on the two tabs on each side of the switch.

Please keep us posted on what you find.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What year, make and model of coach? Does the transfer switch have a built-in power monitor (checks for low voltage, wrong frequency, etc.)? Or maybe a separate power monitor hard-wired to the service entrance? If either of these, it is doing that to protect you from faulty power. Or maybe the controller board in the powerline monitor is failing and giving false error conditions. I had that happen with one - kept saying 'open ground".

The two minute cycle to reset and run ok sounds very much like what a power monitor does. It typically shuts off power for two minutes and then tries again.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

It almost sounds like you have an installed surge guard system and it was kicking on and off, which could have been very likely in the aftermath of a hurricane. Do you have one installed? Why do you say transfer switch?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
It almost sounds like you have an installed surge guard system and it was kicking on and off, which could have been very likely in the aftermath of a hurricane. Do you have one installed? Why do you say transfer switch?
I believe he said he's running off the generator and a surge guard would not be in play.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I believe he said he's running off the generator and a surge guard would not be in play.
Not so fast cowboy. I have mine wired for shore and genny to go through the surge system. I know of several others that have theirs wired the same way. In fact, anyone who has an aftermarket surge system should wire them this way, IMO.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yee Haww Pirate,
Yep, some people wire their surge protection device the way you have it but saying that's the way it should be wired is a subject for another thread. Most people don't have the room to wire it that way so they put it before the transfer switch. Since he is the one with the problem I'm assuming, if he has one, it's wired before the transfer switch.

Since he's running off the generator any voltage fluctuation should be displayed at the generator in the form of a code. The surge guard has a voltage tolerance of +/-10% the generator voltage tolerance is much tighter.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, the way AUTO transfer switches work it takes a lot more "power" to make them pull in (Switch to generator) than to hold them.. Thus once it pulls in unless the generator dies completly they should stay there.

EMS systems on the other hand, and SURGE guard systems, are more... Picky.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #9

I thought I had a problem with my trans fer switch going in and out and it ended up being bad contacts in my power cord reel so now its just connected direct until I can fix the reel or replace it
cdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Most if not ALL RV transfer switches are manufactured in such a way that the DEFAULT position is for the generator. Once shore power is connected and the generator is turned off, the transfer switch has to move over to make the connection for the shore cable to supply power.

Most transfer switches also give priority to the generator, meaning that if the shore power is connected and the generator is also running. the transfer switch gives priority to allowing the generator power through and not the shore power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdolan View Post

I thought I had a problem with my trans fer switch going in and out and it ended up being bad contacts in my power cord reel so now its just connected direct until I can fix the reel or replace it
You most likely have a TDI power cord reel. Those contact slip rings are notorious for problems and they won't go away. My suggestion is to wire the end of the cable directly to the box and be done with the useless slip ring contacts.

Or look in to replacing the reel with a Glendinning Power Cord Reel. They are great products with super customer service.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two comments: RE: the power cord reel suggestion: IF he has a transfer switch, and he's using the generator, He is not using any kind of cord, or cord reel.. So we can forget that.

To Dr4Film... Though the Generator has power.. The "No power present" condition on many transfer switches is SHORE...

I have seen some that default to "Open circuit" and when power is applied pull in the proper contactors.. But I've only seen one of those.

There is also 3 way switch (and the one, was, in fact, that one)

Generator/Shore/Inverter

Now, I don't know if you want to call the Generator the "Default" or not (Since Generator gets priority) but the "no power" condition should be Shore.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #13

When my transfer switch messed up I pushed a switch on the card to bypass and it worked. Found out later the card was bad. Be careful if you bypass. Do not start the gen when hooked to shore until you get a new card
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Goof

After getting the cover off I've found that the generator is the one kicking out power. It does not shut down just stops making power for 1-2 minutes. I was hearing the auto tranfer switch kick but it was after the generator restored power. Sorry for the miss info. In Ideas on the genset stopping power as I sayed before it happens on heavy and light loads.

By the way it is a 2003 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Workhorse Chasis.
6.6 K genset

Thanks

Jeff
millred1 is offline   Reply With Quote