Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Automotive vs Residential Window Tinting

I’ve been researching what type of tinting I want to put on the bedroom & living areas of my RV. The windows, as you know, are automotive with a DOT stamp, but flat rather than curved like standard automotive glass. During my research I stumbled on a article that stated that automotive tinting should never be applied to flat glass due to the risk of breakage (I’m assuming from the tinting heating up the glass); no mention was made of whether or not they were only referring to residential glass.

The same article also stated that, when parked, automotive tinting, unlike residential tinting, could actually increase the inside temperature of your vehicle when it’s parked. The cooling of the vehicle only took place when the vehicle was moving. As many people park their RV for days or weeks at a campsite, automobile tinting doesn’t seem like the best choice. Would love to get some other opinions about this before I purchase any tinting. Thanks.
FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #2

I dont know if you have dual pane windows but if so read the industry cautions on tinting dual pane windows https://tintindustry.com/home-window...e-windows.html. The article does mention not to use auto film on residential windows.
IMHO i dont see the difference between tinting rsidential and rv windowa and if my windows weren't already tinted i would be using residential tint on my dual pane.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
I dont know if you have dual pane windows but if so read the industry cautions on tinting dual pane windows https://tintindustry.com/home-window...e-windows.html. The article does mention not to use auto film on residential windows.
IMHO i dont see the difference between tinting rsidential and rv windowa and if my windows weren't already tinted i would be using residential tint on my dual pane.
The ones I want to tint are all single pane. I know that dual pane windows can only tolerate certain types of tinting because of the heat generated between the two panes of glass, if I’m understanding correctly.
FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tinted the windows in my ole Mirada several years ago. It helped with the heat a lot..

Window tint and window covers – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

I tinted the sides and rear window (single pane) in our 1995 infinty 30' mh with tint i bought at home deport proably in 2000 or 2001 and everything was still fine when we sold it in 2015. Did help quite a bit with the heat.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had automotive tint installed on the passenger and driver's side windows several years ago with no cracks or other problems. Did notice an improvement with heat loading when parked AND moving.

The only time the coach has been under shelter since I've drove it home in 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170729_104400.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	256284  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had 5% limo tint applied to my windows this summer and it made a big difference in keeping the heat out.. Even in 106 deg. heat. no damage of any sort and no regrets..
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #8

Very unusual to see a vehicle in Phoenix without window tint.
Never heard of tint causing an automotive window to break. Tint definitely keeps the inside of the vehicle cooler. We tested it with meters when I worked for Phoenix.
Only thing in the residential versus automotive tint is if it is reflective or not. Some states do not allow reflective tint on automotive windows.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #9

Dumb question... Anyone thought about putting the tint on the OUTSIDE rather than the inside? That should be most effective in keeping the heat out of the glass AND out of the coach, wouldn't it? Yes, the tradeoff is that the tint will probably not last as long, but side windows on a coach aren't exactly suffering from high-speed bug impacts or other highway detritus...
Old 08-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Dumb question... Anyone thought about putting the tint on the OUTSIDE rather than the inside?
Nop and, yes it is. Sorry.

Tint window material always goes inside and is also NEVER cleaned with an ammonia based cleaner. We had both sides of of our front cabin windows tinted with automotive 3M Ceramic material, along with a 12" brow on the windshield and not only does it greatly reduce heat coming in but makes driving a whole lot easier on the eyes.

Once parked for more than a couple of days, we additional put on sun shades on all 3 sides of the cabin that we had made.

Also totally insulated behind the overhead cabinets with R-19 and there is no more heat now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outside.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	256457   Click image for larger version

Name:	shade-looking-from-inside-MH.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	256458  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Side windows is the first thing. Windshield will have impact and bug juice eating at it. Bad idea. Side windows not so much in that department but exposed to the elements. Not a good idea I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Dumb question... Anyone thought about putting the tint on the OUTSIDE rather than the inside? That should be most effective in keeping the heat out of the glass AND out of the coach, wouldn't it? Yes, the tradeoff is that the tint will probably not last as long, but side windows on a coach aren't exactly suffering from high-speed bug impacts or other highway detritus...
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #12

One of the guys that worked for me did this on his car many years ago. Tint scratches pretty easy and that is what happened to his. Can't recall the exact length of time before he took it off but it wasn't more than a couple of months.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #13

It does make a heck of a big difference Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_103559.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	256502
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
One of the guys that worked for me did this on his car many years ago. Tint scratches pretty easy and that is what happened to his. Can't recall the exact length of time before he took it off but it wasn't more than a couple of months.
Yes
There are many grades and quality.

The best is quite expensive.
But well worth the cost for long term.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window