Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
FFF

Auxiliary Battery

Rookie question: If I'm hooked up to external electric(shore line), will this keep my auxiliary battery charged?
FFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

If you mean house batteries by the term "auxiliary battery" the answer is YES.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Your class A motor home will charge the house ( coach ) batteries when on shore power , charging the chassis ( engine start ) battery isn't always done , that depends on your make/model and all equipment working properly.

Please , if you don't have a multi meter for voltage testing , pick one up , as well as a 12 volt test light . It needn't be expensive but the longer you have your RV you'll use it more and more.

Also if you could take a few mins and set up a " Signature Line " like mine below this post , it'll take a lot of the guess work out of members trying to provide good info to help you.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFF View Post
Rookie question: If I'm hooked up to external electric(shore line), will this keep my auxiliary battery charged?

In most cases yes. Some will not start charging if they are dead.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Yes, shore power will charge your house batteries! I noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

I am a newbie as well. I have 3 house batteries under my Hood and a solar panel on the roof. Under the hood is this red plastic device that had a key in it. It seems to be a switch of some sort. It has a wire coming from the one house battery into the switch and another wire going to the other two house batteries.

Any idea of what this is?

Thanks in advance!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
I am a newbie as well. I have 3 house batteries under my Hood and a solar panel on the roof. Under the hood is this red plastic device that had a key in it. It seems to be a switch of some sort. It has a wire coming from the one house battery into the switch and another wire going to the other two house batteries.

Any idea of what this is?

Thanks in advance!
The device you are speaking of is a battery disconnect. I suspect you have 2 house batteries and 1 chassis battery and the disconnect was installed as a cross-over to connect all the batteries in parallel (or not).
Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
The device you are speaking of is a battery disconnect. I suspect you have 2 house batteries and 1 chassis battery and the disconnect was installed as a cross-over to connect all the batteries in parallel (or not).
I have 4 batteries the chassis battery and 3 house batteries the plastic key sort of thing is between the one house battery and the two additional house batteries. Could this have anything to do with having a solar panel on the roof. The key comes out. Is this possibility a key to let charging to go to the other two batteries? Thanks
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
I have 4 batteries the chassis battery and 3 house batteries the plastic key sort of thing is between the one house battery and the two additional house batteries. Could this have anything to do with having a solar panel on the roof. The key comes out. Is this possibility a key to let charging to go to the other two batteries? Thanks
Without pictures and/or a schematic no one can answer your question. It's obviously an add-on from a PO and who knows what he/she may have done.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Welcome to the new people.

I can't emphasize enough for you the need to take the time, and maybe spend some money, to have someone knowledgeable look at and explain your systems.

We cannot see what you have from here.......

Knowing your systems and operating and maintaining them properly WILL be the difference between ordeal and adventure.

Happy glamping.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery