Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher29681 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a diesel pusher or gas powered Class A 38-40 ft... anything in decent shape for $20K or less. please tell me in total what I should expect to pay per year in maintenance for the whole thing including refrigerators heaters engine routine maintenance etc if I Drive an average of 6,000 miles a year in it both diesel and gasoline? I'm trying to see if I can budget for this. Thanks for your input! Brian
Brian,

Other folks have covered the RV issues well. Except for one - the dingy vehicle. If you get a larger Class A, you'll need a dingy vehicle for it.

If your current car/truck can be towed 4-down, that's great. If not, then you have to budget for getting something that can be towed 4-down or buy a trailer of some sort. Here's a link to the Dinghy Guides from MotorHome magazine: Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine. The current guide is free: http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/2014DinghyGuide.pdf. Earlier guides are $1.99 each. This help you understand if your Dingy is towable 4-down.

If your vehicle is towable, you still have to get a tow bar installed. My CRV Dinghy came with a tow bar installed, so I'm not sure of the cost, but I think it will be close to $1,000. (Other folks, please comment on this.) So that's more money you have to allocate.

When we bought our coach, we bought it's 2004 Honda CRV tow vehicle. It was all set up with a good tow bar system. It only had 72,000 miles and appeared in great condition. Cost: $6,000. Good deal? Not quite...

After buying it, we found that it needed new front struts, brakes, clutch, plugs, tires, alignment, and a bunch of other things. Total cost: another $6,000. And the stereo is an antique (no bluetooth, HD radio, etc). So I'm upgrading it too. Cost? Another $700. I think the throttle body plate needs to be cleaned and maybe some other minor fixes, which will be another $200-300.

Overall cost of the dinghy? $13,000. Worth it? Not so sure, but it runs and stops very well now. So I'm satisfied.

Please keep in mind that this is not like owning a car or truck that you drive every day to work. Your RV and dinghy need to run and stay running. You don't want your RV to break down in the middle of nowhere. And if it does, your dinghy is your lifeline. Both have to run well.

I believe that this supports the overall response theme in this thread - budget more $.

Good luck and safe travels!

Regards,

Dan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Any DP or gas you can find for 20K and under probably will need a lot of maintenance to start of with.

All replacement of belts & hoses will be due. All filters & fluid, steering, front hubs, rear axle, fuel, engine, transmission etc. will need done.

PPL has only 1 DP under 20K for sale and 6 under 30K & 4 of them with a slide.
Not so fast! Our coach has been well maintained over it's life, and we spent a considerable amount last year to totally renovate the chassis. And I'm sure there are many others out there that have been similarly taken care of.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Not so fast! Our coach has been well maintained over it's life, and we spent a considerable amount last year to totally renovate the chassis. And I'm sure there are many others out there that have been similarly taken care of.
Peralko,

Sounds like a nice coach and a great option for Brian. Would you sell yours for $20K? Hmmm...

I'm guessing, but I suspect that a nicely renovated coach like yours would be worth more that $20K. And that a "less preserved" coach would need a "considerable amount" to bring it up to snuff.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
My guess is that someone who has an older coach that has maintained it and also upgraded it is not in the market to sell it, especially for $20k. Bottom line, my experience from owning gasses and dp's is that our exposure was, on the average, about $750 a year more than a gasser for service and maintenance. The previous lists were very thorough but many items apple to gasses as well as a dp. As for fuel, the difference will depend on the specific vehicle, its mpg and the fuel costs. Our current dp averages 10+ mpg even when towing. Our A got 6-8 when not towing. So if we drove 100 miles it would be cheaper in the dp! As for towing, it really doesn't matter if you have a 36' dp or gasser as to needing a toad. Cost would be the same except for the reduce mpg towing with a gasser.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher29681 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a diesel pusher or gas powered Class A 38-40 ft... anything in decent shape for $20K or less. please tell me in total what I should expect to pay per year in maintenance for the whole thing including refrigerators heaters engine routine maintenance etc if I Drive an average of 6,000 miles a year in it both diesel and gasoline? I'm trying to see if I can budget for this. Thanks for your input! Brian

You did not mention whether you will be doing your own repairs and maintenance or hiring someone at $110/hr to do the work.

There will be a big difference in annual costs.

Frankly, I can only justify owning our old rig because I have learned to fix things myself. Sometimes I have to fix them twice. Once for practice and once for results. But my time is free and the parts and materials are reasonable. After 12 years of practice, I now have been in almost every nook and cranny.

Hiring someone to trace an electrical problem, for instance, can get to be very expensive quickly.

There are 4 electrical power sources for two levels of electrical systems in most Class A rigs. Things can get confusing rapidly.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance