Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Awning lock

So Iím just wondering if they make any kind of lock that you can fasten onto the side of the motorhome as a safety precaution that the awning doesnít let go. I currently had that issue with my Monaco on the way back from Maine the owning which is Power decided to let go and deployed and tore the awning thankfully it didnít terret off the side of the motorhome. Unfortunately as there is a backlog on production for the new awning which will hopefully be here before I leave for Florida Iím wonderingIf they make anything to fasten to the side to hold it back or some thing with a strap and a snap on it that I could create I canít imagine the only one that has had this happen
Rolandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #3

What's not stated in the video is awnings don't always roll up 100% the same every time. Temp differences, humidity, as the awning material stretches, all affect how the awning rolls up. I have one of these on mine. I now have THREE holes (just like in the video picture and not happy about that) and sometimes, maybe maybe not, will it roll up where one of the holes lines up. Sometimes I can get one of the holes to line up if I hold a little a little pressure on the side arm as it's rolling up. Sometimes I can get it to line up if I get on a ladder and twist the roller tube. Sometimes I get lucky and it actually lines up. On paper it's a great design. In reality not so great. Like I said, I have one on my awning so I'm not dogging out the product, just stating the my experience. I'd much rather be saying how great it is.

I guess all one can do is give it a try and make their own conclusion. There is a member here that made his own lock. I forgot who it was so you'll need to search for him and his idea.

Jim58
Old 10-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the awning lock installed for 3-4 years now. Still locks into the original holes. It provides piece of mind on losing an awning.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe this will give you some ideas!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/modi...ck-221433.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

I have the lock shown in the video and wouldn't be without it, though what was said about awnings not rolling up the same every time is true. It's not really a big problem for me though. When the pin doesn't quite line up with the hole I just climb a ladder and twist the awning tube a little. I hit some 45 mph gusts last month and I was sure glad I had the lock!

Before I bought the lock I caught the awning unfurling once and had to stop on the side of the highway to roll it back up. Fortunate that I caught it before it damaged the awning, and I ordered the lock the next day.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #7

I place the hooked end of an awning rod into the grove on roller then place the awning rod behind the upright arm and hold it in place with a ball bungee cord (vlecro strap could also be used)

Bungee/strap is just to keep rod in place
Roller can't move with hooked end in grove

Simple......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I place the hooked end of an awning rod into the grove on roller then place the awning rod behind the upright arm and hold it in place with a ball bungee cord (vlecro strap could also be used)

Bungee/strap is just to keep rod in place
Roller can't move with hooked end in grove

Simple......
I wonder whether a ball bungee might be a good solution for my slide topper. When we're going down the road in a strong crosswind my topper will roll out a couple inches until it hits the stop, slapping back against the motorhome each time. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is a bit unsettling.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #9

I even thought about when it closes on the frame have like a pin drilled straight through to hold the frame against its track. At this point I don’t care if I have to climb up on the roof of the motorhome to pin it to experience of a deployed awning while driving. Is enough to make you fasten it anyway possible
Old 10-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandj View Post
I even thought about when it closes on the frame have like a pin drilled straight through to hold the frame against its track. At this point I donít care if I have to climb up on the roof of the motorhome to pin it to experience of a deployed awning while driving. Is enough to make you fasten it anyway possible
You have to keep the awning roller from moving, otherwise it can unfurl even if the frame is secured.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #11

Awning lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
You have to keep the awning roller from moving, otherwise it can unfurl even if the frame is secured.
I totally get it and once wound it as long as its tight and can't unroll pinned will work . So i fixed the black cast housing to the shaft by drilling and installing cotter pin as well as drilling an pinning arms . Ill gladly take my step ladder out for 5 min rather than disaster on interstate
Old 10-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I also have the lock shown in post#2, great peace of mind.

Tags
awning