Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Awning operation

HI

Can someone tell me what makes the awning stop when you extend or retract it. Is there a micro switch somewhere or what. ?
Wandering2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering2 View Post
HI

Can someone tell me what makes the awning stop when you extend or retract it. Is there a micro switch somewhere or what. ?
We need to know the make and model of your awning to be sure. Every awning I've had did not have an automatic extend/retract feature, you had to hold down the rocker switch.

If yours is automatic, I suspect there is a switch that senses an increase in amps which happens when the motor stresses--much like the motor for the steps.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

I have a Dometic Weather Pro by A&E. What happened was I parked the Motorhome next to my enclosed trailer and when I turned the engine off the awning came out and hit the trailer on the back arm. It got in a bind I guess and shut off. It would not go back in. I read online to take out the set screw at the motor end and retract it manually. So I did that and put the set screw back in and moved the trailer and extended it but it would not go back in. So I removed said set screw again and hit the retract ( probably big mistake). the motor ran then stopped Now it wont do anything. So does it stop on amperage draw or what. I thing its the 9100 series.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Service Manual.....read thru and do some testing
https://janeandjohn.org/docs/AwningManual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

I hooked up a battery directly to the motor and it did nothing at all. But the manual says if you remove the set screw and retract the awning manually you will have to have it serviced by a technician. Why is this? If I replace the motor how do I time it or do I have to time it or just stick in in and hope for the best.
The manual doesn't say why you will have to have it serviced if you retract manually. Did I twist the wires off or something. ???
Old 06-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #6

The set screw is holding the end of the motor from turning with the tube during normal operation. When you remove the set screw and manually close the awning it twists the wires going to the motor potentially breaking them.
tcbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

Thats what I'm afraid has happened. I haven't taken it apart yet. but back to my original question. What tells the motor to stop when extended or retracted. How does it kow to shut off. ??? anyone.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #8

It has to be amperage, there is no micro switch. The wind sensor/auto retract box on mine quit years ago. I just use the rocker switch to open and close. With the motor hooked to 12v on the work bench it runs continuous. Hope that helps.
tcbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

Ok thank you . I don't think my motor is bad I think the wires are twisted off. I don't know why they can't come up with a better way to manually retract the awning. I guess thats why they say it will have to be serviced cause they know the wires will be toast. It worked just fine before I put it in a bind. I still don't know why it came out on its own when I shut off the RV engine. Must have pushed the rocker switch but it was locked out by the interlock.

Tags
awning