Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Back from first trip in coach to Disney campgrounds...

This is going to be a long post:

Just got back from a two week stay at the Disney Fort Wilderness campgrounds. Really, really enjoyed the stay. All of the main concerns about my mom being able to make the trip and use the new lift were all met with great success. Only thing I need to do is get longer bolts for the four rubber feet of the main lift deck and some shim washers to add about .75" of height so that the lift will touchdown to the ground sooner. Found in some instances, the lift hovered just above the ground at full extension.

The trip was great and we all had a great time. But, it sure did have its revelations and surprises until the very end.

This is my first coach and the first vacation voyage it's been on since I bought it last summer. I addressed many of the issues I saw leading up to the trip. Still, more issues have surfaced that will keep me very busy this early spring and summer to, hopefully, get all outstanding issues fixed and out of the way!

The two disasters on the way home will be covered first to get them out of the way.

We made a stop at a Love's truck stop in Tennessee for fuel/food/stretch. Just as I turned out of the place to hit the freeway ramp, I heard a very loud 3 second or so noise from under the driver/passenger area every few seconds and it would happen more often as I moved faster.....(Mod Edit) is that, my brother in law looked at me saying?

Holy crap, that can't be good, I said. I noticed the secondary air gauge was pegged at 130 psi and would not move when hitting the brakes. Pulled to the next T/A truck stop a few miles down the road, put the coach in neutral, punched the brakes a few times an saw both primary/secondary air gauges drop and refill. When the secondary was at 130 psi and hitting the gas, the noise rang out again..... I told my brother in law to call my mechanic and see if he could figure out what we are dealing with. He told us it's the air system governor. Found out that the T/A truck service dept no longer fixes motorhomes with freightliner chassis for whatever reason and they gave me the local emergency road service number. Well, three hours and $350 later, we were back on the road....sheeesh!! The repair guy also told me that I have a pin hole leak in the front driver side air bag.....joy!

Going through southern Ohio in very strong winds, the awning decided to fold out at 65mph....(Mod Edit)!! Hit my signal and pulled over in record time. Opened the door and the wind almost tore it off the coach. First glance, it looked like all the parts and pieces were all there, accept for those bars that slide on the main rails had both been pulled out of the slot. It was all we could do to just hold the fully deployed awning from being ripped off the coach... Then a trooper pulls behind....yeah, we should be able to handle this, as the wind is just trying to lift me and my brother in law off the ground. I'm holding the rear main bar and my BIL is holding the other. He's holding the main bar and the main strap that rolls the unit back up. I tell the trooper that we double checked the awning at Disney and it looks like the wind just found a way to have its way. The trooper leaves. I'm trying to figure out how we are going to get this monster rolled back up, as it does not seem to have any spring energy to do this. I figure it's damaged or something. There's no way we can manually roll it up, as it's 12' off the ground....(Mod Edit)!!

WAIT A SEC....the wheelchair lift!

Sister opened the two doors folded down the main deck of the lift, lowered the deck down low enough so my BIL could step onto the lift and slowly roll up the awning. Now, how to secure it to the coach for travel, as I no longer trust the locking system. Found two bungie cords and wrapped them around the main and support bar on each side and move it as high on the bar as possible. Flipped the lock lever on the unit and she was very secure. On the road and frazzled. What a frickin' nightmare.

I'll post the problems with the coach during the vacation in a little while, as I'm tired of typing....

I will say the problems were no water to kitchen/bathroom sink, black tank gasses in bathroom, hot water not working, minor coolant leak, minor passenger side rear axle oil leak, and to top it off, found that the slide out sticks on the kitchen sink end and needs help to deploy/retract.

Oh, the ice maker water line looks to be leaking when I turned the little valve near the water heater...

And, the Norcold will not work on AC.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yikes! Glad you made it home in, well was going to say one piece but..... Glad your home. Hope your next trip is better. Please use all due diligence, seems this is a new to you coach.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh how I can relate. Our first trip in our brand new '12 storm was going good. Left south Louisiana Stop in auburn Al to pick up gk and daughter to go on to Stone mountain. Everything is going good (first MH I own) until we hit Atlanta, 6 lanes of traffic 18 wheeler on both sides 6" from mirrors moving at 65mph. Then we stop dead on the freeway in 110deg/F all of a sudden we hear a pop then a release. The RV on the propane tank relieved. I'm in the middle lane, turn the engine off, jump out to see what's happening, wife hanging out of the window trying to stop traffic, RV stops relieving, gk crying because he is hot and now I'm trying to move a32' with toad over in 3 lanes of traffic in Atlanta. Wife looks at me and says "sell this thing as soon as you can". I still have the MH and the wife.
Obrenn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #4

Goodness. With all of those malfunctions, it sounded like you had bought a brand new coach!

Hope you can get the important ones worked out without too much trouble. It's never fun finding out things like that at the campground on the first trip.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Goodness. With all of those malfunctions, it sounded like you had bought a brand new coach!

Hope you can get the important ones worked out without too much trouble. It's never fun finding out things like that at the campground on the first trip.
LOL!

Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing to inform my guests of all the shortcomings of the coach.

But, we were so close to the "comfort station" in our loop that the water situation was negated, as those stations have excellent facilities and we all could shower and wash our laundry very quickly.

We brought along a scooter that my mother used on her first trip to Disney a few years back to zoom back and forth to the comfort stations and the outposts.

Really, the stinky gases from the black tank were our only continual problem. Wrapped some towels around the base of the toilet with no luck.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Stinky gasses.....

If water to sinks and showers did not work, it is possible that there is zero water in the drain traps. That will allow odors from the grey water tank to release into the coach. Pour some water down the drain!

If you have a clothes washer on board, its drain also needs water in the trap.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

Shower worked fine. It is either the stink pipe or toilet gasket. Bowl holds water.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How was the Wifi at Ft Wilderness?

I was there several years ago and they rented you a box that was to provide Wifi.

It was sad to say the least.

Has it gotten better?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you tow a trailer that you wrote about in a previous post? If yes, how did it work out?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
The only WiFi at Ft Wilderness is at Meadows Trading Post. They will provide a box that will give you a single hard wired connection to a laptop or desktop in your coach. Unless you have your own hotspot your smart phones are out of luck for WiFi.

Dave
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Shower worked fine. It is either the stink pipe or toilet gasket. Bowl holds water.
Don't forget about the studor valve (air admittance valve) inside the bath lav cabinet. If bad, it will cause the smells also. About $5.00 at Home Depot.

Fred
Old 03-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #12

The wifi has not changed. You still have to get the modem from trading post which gives you a single connection. Doesn't help if you have Ipads etc. If you are willing to spend a bit of money go buy yourself a wireless access point (wap) I think last one i bought was about $90. Then you can plug their modem into it and have wireless all through your coach for all your devices.
jbilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilling View Post
The wifi has not changed. You still have to get the modem from trading post which gives you a single connection. Doesn't help if you have Ipads etc. If you are willing to spend a bit of money go buy yourself a wireless access point (wap) I think last one i bought was about $90. Then you can plug their modem into it and have wireless all through your coach for all your devices.
Of just bring your wireless router from home, disable dhcp and plug the Disney box into one of the LAN ports (Not the WAN port). That is assuming of course that the mystery box is a wireless bridge of some sort. If not, you may be able to hook it up as a normal router and get internet just fine.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #14

Lets go back the problem that obrenn73 had with the propane, Was this caused by over filling or bad valve?
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground