Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
One of the old truck drivers here, and what I would do backing into a dock with no lines to go by, is place a glove on the ground where the line would or should have been, straight out from the dock, on the drivers side! You can do the same thing backing into a campsite, if the ground or drive is not clear to you in your mirrors. Pick a spot that you want you back wheel to go, place the glove down, and when you are backing in, just miss the glove with your back wheel and cut it in. When you are straight enough to see the site out of both mirrors, then you can adjust as you need to get it just where you want. As everyone else has said, if unsure, Get Out And Look! And always back in from the drivers side, if at all possible! Look the site over very good, before trying, know how much room you will need, meaning, how far from the rear wheel to the front of your coach. If there is a rock at the corner that you will have to miss to get into the site, then get out and pace off from it to any obstruction on the opp. side of the road. That way you know it will fit before you get it into a position that might be hard to get out of! If it won't fit one way, then drive past, turn around, and see if it is better from the other direction, "blind side" Just remember , you have a huge overhang behind, and yes , I am talking about your MH!! And do not be afraid to get out and look, I still do after 35+ years! Hope this helps, if not, disregard! Rail!
Excellent instructions!

I really like the glove idea, however I think I'll use something bright orange or white.

I always back in with no spotter, just my mirrors and getting out a couple times to eyeball the situation works for me.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Backing motor home in campsite

Just something I learnd in camping under trees. When you are surviving backing in, look high in trees for rotten limbs . I got all set up for a week stay the next day the wind and rain come and a lot of stuff was flying out of trees . I noticed one mean looking dead limb about 10 ' long and 8 "" around about 15 ' above coach. Didn't take me long to move MH . Two days latter it fell. I informed the park host about it and he didn't let anyone use the space before it fell. He told me that he had never noticed it before and thanked me for telling him.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #31

Lots of interesting, good things said in responses. Here's my 2 cents worth. First, unhook your dinghy. Can't back those things up. Second, if you've backed a fifth wheel, backing a motorhome is going to be a lot easier I would think. As many others have stated, just take your time and get out and look often. You do it a few times and there's nothing to it.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #32

wife acts as spotter, calls me on cell phone, with hands free in cab, we can communicate without her yelling upsetting the entire cg.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
docsdock

My coach never "backs up" unless I can see my wife, (and her hand signals), in the drivers side rear view mirror.

Mel
'96 Safari
Not only can you hit low post but tall one too. Like mine was a telephone pole. I was watching the person guiding me. He was not only stupid but never help a M H back up. Only use someone you know and tell them what to look out for to prevent, like me backing into a pole on the blind spot passenger side. now I have extra cameras and always get out to look first.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #34

unhook your dinghy
My first look at that, I thought it said "unhook your DIGNITY". Actually good advice in a way. If you get bothered by what others think of your efforts, there's a tendency to just bull through without taking time to check thoroughly.

Speaking from experience, just take your time and check it all again.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #35

lots of good advise here ..... thx for posting up ....

Still new to it as well ... so more practice is needed. It's a awful long way back there ..... and next trip, we'll be adding 25' of car hauler .... sure hope not to have to back that sucker in too many places ..... #justsayin
Last couple of attempts I have thought ... good enough ... only to discover after a couple of days not liking how the coach is positioned .... will just have to keep workin on it ....
Jackie got us a pair of headsets even before we got the coach, stating "we'll be needing these" .... good investment indeed .... and she's a darn good spotter ....

Certainly appreciate the good tips ........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #36

RAIL ........I've been to your campground before. And this is no BULL. I actually found a new pair of leather gloves on the pad and I still use them today. THANK YOU
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Pls don't forget...while you're watching the tail of your RV and admiring how well you're getting into the spot, your swinging the front of your coach. Seems like I've had more close calls with the nose of the coach than the back. It is tough, because you get so focused on the tail! JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I do not have a DW or SO to spot for me.
I have 5 exterior cameras on my RV by Total Vision Products: . 2 nose, sides and rear camera that moves both left and right and up and down giving 180* view that I use.
With the camera system and mirrors, I have never had an accident because I take my time and Get Out And Look before backing into a camp spot for obstructions and clearances, i.e. trees, branches, bushes, fences, logs, tree stumps, big rocks, picnic table, soft soil, level-ness of site, location of utilities, etc.
AND prior to pulling up to the fuel pump, I look for my exit to ensure I have the clearance to exit avoiding the pumps, barriers, and parked vehicles.

I don't either. I use two mirrors and a back up camera. Easy. Never had a problem.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
lots of good advise here ..... thx for posting up ....

Still new to it as well ... so more practice is needed. It's a awful long way back there ..... and next trip, we'll be adding 25' of car hauler .... sure hope not to have to back that sucker in too many places ..... #justsayin

Certainly appreciate the good tips ........
we pull a trailer and I have practiced back. After a while you get very good at it. I have backed into parking spaces between two cars when leaving it for a week end stay a places. Also back in into my place in Fl. I am adding extra cameras just for the backing of trailer. Reason is when it get angled while backing there are blind spots in the mirrors and back up camera. Am putting two cameras on twentyfive degree angles at each side rear of MH.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
RAIL ........I've been to your campground before. And this is no BULL. I actually found a new pair of leather gloves on the pad and I still use them today. THANK YOU
Darn, I knew I had them, just could not remember where I left them????? Funny!!!! I found a flashlight the same way, one of the 8 battery one's! Still have it! Enjoy the gloves! Rail!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I don't either. I use two mirrors and a back up camera. Easy. Never had a problem.
In case anyone wants another perspective on solo backing - there is one in this link: Go to the main page, type "backing into an RV site" and there are links for both.

backing into a campsite | Search Results | betterRVing!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #42

My wife insists on helping because she is totally convinced that I am incapable of doing ANYTHING without close adult supervision, so to circumvent that, I always have her back in, regardless if it is the 5er, the TT, or the motorhome. I simply walk along side the driver's window and tell her to "steer left", or "steer right". This is after I have walked around the rig and made sure things will fit where I want them to go.

This works very well for us. She is a very good driver, again, regardless of the rig, but she can not give instructions worth a damn.

Ken Gasbarri

Tags
motorhome