Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Backing Motorhome into camp site

I am sure there has been numerous threads on this.

I had a motorhome and traded for a 5th wheel and am now back to a 40 ft Tiffin Phaeton. During my initial research I found several diagrams showing how to back into a campsite.

Does anyone have a link to similar diagrams. Not looking for any of the You Tube videos, have watched most of them and am wanting something I can put in the motorhome for review.

Thanks ...............
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #2

Sorry! but I don't know of any diagrams that will help you back into a site.First take a good look at your site and surroundings and back up very slowly and watch your mirrors and backup monitor and when in doubt,get out and look if you don't have a good spotter. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most people are too lazy to do it but the best policy is to get out and look.

Been guilty of it myself and have hit at least one post

Practice is the best thing you can do.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest you take some cones out into a large parking lot and practice. A tip a fellow gave me about driving a school bus, if you know it will fit in the space, concentrate on one side and watch that side in the mirror as you back. Still glance in the other mirror, but use the one side as your major guide. In a campsite, I pay attention to the edge of the driveway and make sure I'm backing parallel to the driveway edge.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I get out and survey the situation because low posts are out of the driver sight - and the I dont go any faster then I want to hit something. I use Suzy eyes and the mirrors.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
I get out and survey the situation because low posts are out of the driver sight - and the I dont go any faster then I want to hit something. I use Suzy eyes and the mirrors.
docsdock

My coach never "backs up" unless I can see my wife, (and her hand signals), in the drivers side rear view mirror.

BTW, she often tells me "where to go", (even when I'm not in the coach).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
There are three graphics here.

How to Back Your RV, Motorhome or Camper Trailer into a Campsite on the first try.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Most people are too lazy to do it but the best policy is to get out and look....
In truck training that is known as GOAL

Get
Out
And
Look

Nothing is better than first surveying the site, making a plan and using good a spotter that you are familiar with. If you need a spotter that is new to you, make sure you take your time interpreting hand signs and stop if you don't understand.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
There was a comment on the forum yesterday about all the "Old Truck Driver's" on here owning Motorhome's.......if one had ever driven a big truck, driving a Motorhome is a easy task........and also, Truck driver's also understand/know the mechanical workings of them(Engine & chassis). Truck driver's most always never have a spotter when backing up, they always survey the area when pulling up to it, by stopping and looking, or getting out and making reference points to remember to look at in the mirror's when backing. Other than "Teams" , most all driver's are all alone.........
And even one better, I see all the time when Big Coach's are bought, the owner is never told or does not know he needs a special license to operate it in most all state's........Having this endorsement will help with/receive training for driving one.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
First, get out & survey for high and low obstructions. Then as my aunt told me years ago when backing into a campsite to focus on the edge of the driveway on the driver's side and back up parallel to the driveway edge. It has worked every time!!!

~ Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We get out and look and then I back the rig in watching my mirrors. We stopped hollerin at each other. Now we use walkie talkies and talk normal this has helped a lot.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #12

Backing motor home into camp site:
Lazydays web page has excellent on line training with helpful 'landmark' hints. Easy to develop your own written instructions and diagrams.
Schmukles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not have a DW or SO to spot for me.
I have 5 exterior cameras on my RV by Total Vision Products: . 2 nose, sides and rear camera that moves both left and right and up and down giving 180* view that I use.
With the camera system and mirrors, I have never had an accident because I take my time and Get Out And Look before backing into a camp spot for obstructions and clearances, i.e. trees, branches, bushes, fences, logs, tree stumps, big rocks, picnic table, soft soil, level-ness of site, location of utilities, etc.
AND prior to pulling up to the fuel pump, I look for my exit to ensure I have the clearance to exit avoiding the pumps, barriers, and parked vehicles.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
There was a comment on the forum yesterday about all the "Old Truck Driver's" on here owning Motorhome's.......if one had ever driven a big truck, driving a Motorhome is a easy task........and also, Truck driver's also understand/know the mechanical workings of them(Engine & chassis). Truck driver's most always never have a spotter when backing up, they always survey the area when pulling up to it, by stopping and looking, or getting out and making reference points to remember to look at in the mirror's when backing. Other than "Teams" , most all driver's are all alone.........
And even one better, I see all the time when Big Coach's are bought, the owner is never told or does not know he needs a special license to operate it in most all state's........Having this endorsement will help with/receive training for driving one.
I am not sure you need one in most all states. I know you do not need one in Arkansas, Oklahoma, I have seen several posts where people say you do not need one in their state. I have an Arkansas drivers license. I can drive my MH in any state no matter what there requirements are for having a special license.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome