Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #57

Have had good luck backing in by placing straight 2x4s in center of space. Watch
Camera and keep hitch centered on boards. Of course watch your mirrors also. Never has failed me.
56corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #58

My wife and I both reviewed the arm motions used to bring an airplane to the jetway/gate (on you tube). Very easy, no talking/screaming and no drama.We park quickly and perfectly first time, every time and we never had a mistake.

Most observers enjoy watching the smooth process and how fast we have that first drink ready to go!
KC View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #59

Talking tight fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I sold my home that has RV parking for my motorhome, plenty of clearance to back in, so I found a good rental near my home I just sold that has RV parking with some hookups and signed a 1 year lease, however the gate opening only gives me 4 inch on each side backing in, my guess is I will use my wife to help backing in, once I am in back yard I can still open the slides.

So has anyone else dealt with very tight issues such as this and any mishaps, I sure would not want to damage my motorhome but the house had everything we needed expect a nice wide gate..

When I saw this thread I could not resist
I own a 100 foot long barge [ RV - recreational vessel !!] on which I can travel around Europe.
it is 178 inches wide. The canal locks through which I pass are 196 inches wide so I have 9 inches of " play" on either side,
This gets all the more interesting as one has to have forward momentum to have any steerage.
However to have forward momentum & steerage, you must leave the engine and thus the propeller engaged. All propellers have what is known as " prop walk" - they either push the boat to one side or the other
As you enter a lock there is an interaction between that part of the barge which is entering it and the lock walls, as water is pushed about so in essence one is trying to steer the front as it is pushed about while considering the impact on the back/stern which is not being pushed but is being moved by " prop-walk". The analogy would be the road/ entrance surface moving a little as you enter the gate, but the gate itself remaining fixed in place
Finally one has to stop before hitting the gates at the other end of the lock ( I have 15 ft of length to play with here), but barges have no brakes so it is " Hard astern" which again moves the boat in the opposite direction (side to side) because the prop is now spinning in the opposite direction

So how do I do it -
very carefully
liam20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:47 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2. Always happy to see a Boater here.
I know of prop walk. I had a twin I/O cruiser with 2 right hand drives, lots of fun.

You would have liked the locks on the Columbia and Snake, 100 foot lifts. wind and current.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #61

Will be moving my motorhome this weekend to the new house, will let you know if me and my wife will still be married by Monday..

It will be her fault either way if I damage my motorhome as she says..

Note I am removing one gate and the brackets on one side to give me a extra 2 inch's, might do the other side as well, will see once I get the motorhome close to the gate..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
jackreno said:

"Note I am removing one gate and the brackets on one side to give me a extra 2 inch's, might do the other side as well, will see once I get the motorhome close to the gate.."

Every little bit helps!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome