Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #29

I park in covered storage which has concrete pillars and neighboring RVs. Sometimes it's dark which adds to the stress. So I lay my bright colored extension cord about a foot off from where I need to align. It provides a nice guide all the way back.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisrael42 View Post
Pay the money and have the opening enlarged. It will be a cold day in he*# before I have the DW helping me back in. The day I cannot back in by myself is the day I sell the motorhome.
Sorry to hear this. My husband and I are a team. We both drive, though I am the primary driver. Backing in he directs while I back in, but that is because I am usually driving. If he is driving, I provide the direction. Life is much easier when you trust each other.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #31

I had a situation at our former S&B where I had to make an S turn in the driveway and park with 6" total between the roof overhang on one side and the drop off of our concreat pad on the other.
I too discovered the trick of tipping the mirrors so that I could see the roof overhang. My wife used to spot for me, and still does in new camping spots, but I got pretty good at backing on my own and not much phases my anymore. Two inches on each side with a straight shot would seem easy.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I sold my home that has RV parking for my motorhome, plenty of clearance to back in, so I found a good rental near my home I just sold that has RV parking with some hookups and signed a 1 year lease, however the gate opening only gives me 4 inch on each side backing in, my guess is I will use my wife to help backing in, once I am in back yard I can still open the slides.

So has anyone else dealt with very tight issues such as this and any mishaps, I sure would not want to damage my motorhome but the house had everything we needed expect a nice wide gate..

Enlarge the opening. 4'' is really cutting it close. Pay to purchase and install a gate with a 12' opening.

You are looking at thousands of dollars in damage and losing the use of your coach for weeks while it is being repaired, if you miscalculate while backing in. JMHDAO.....
Old 11-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #33

I've always wondered about how effective it would be to install some high, coved, curbs to keep you on course. They'd have to be high enough so your rear wheels couldn't easily climb them and coved so they don't damage your tires. If done right they should self-center the MH.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I've always wondered about how effective it would be to install some high, coved, curbs to keep you on course. They'd have to be high enough so your rear wheels couldn't easily climb them and coved so they don't damage your tires. If done right they should self-center the MH.
IMHO -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #35

In store my coach in a shed with a roll up door on the family cattle ranch, and have a little more clearance (10.5 inches on each side), more than once I have came closer than I would like to admit to accidentally removing a mirror. The big issue is when lighting is not equal inside and out, either bright daylight going into dark shed, or the opposite, arriving home after a long day on the road after dark and putting the coach in the backlit shed.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Excellent way to ruin a sidewall and/or bend a rim.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Excellent way to ruin a sidewall and/or bend a rim.
I was thinking that wouldn't be a problem if they were contoured correctly, but maybe not.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #38

You might consider a couple of wireless cameras mounted on both sides of you coach, sighted right down the side giving you a good view of the clearance as you back in. Maybe even have them mounted so they could be removed and used only when you pull in and out of the parking spot. Nice units can be bought for under $500 and that's much cheaper than replacing a gate or repairing a mistake if you get too close. Would not be hard to temporary mount the monitor on the dash long enough to park and if you really like it, you can always consider an upgrade to the coach later.

Just my two cents worth.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Use the wife

I have very similar conditions. The wife has been backing me in for years. She does a great job. The main thing to remember is patience patience patience. Take your time and enjoy.
jerryjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pulling out through a (less than) 10' gate by myself, I misjudged and got a nasty 12" long dent/scrape just above my first compartment door on the passenger side. No easy fix so it remains as a reminder to be more careful.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #41

In search of

Looking for a home with motor home parking in N GA, NC, TN, preferably with mountain or lake view..Thanks
Mick49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #42

Rexhall Owners Group
Backing into the space between our garage and the neighbors car port takes at least a half hour. While we have maybe 12 feef of space between the two structures, we do not have a straight shot in. Consequently the wife needs to keep an eye out for obstacles I can't see. We use our cell phones to communicate when parking. While there's plenty of space the spot is not perfectly flat. And when backing in, we have actually made contact with the roof one time when the motorhome swayed a bit when driving over a lower spot. So aside from clearance on the width, make sure the roadway is flat.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome