RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 11:08 PM   #1

Backing motorhome into tight spot, 4 inch clearance on inch side ?

I sold my home that has RV parking for my motorhome, plenty of clearance to back in, so I found a good rental near my home I just sold that has RV parking with some hookups and signed a 1 year lease, however the gate opening only gives me 4 inch on each side backing in, my guess is I will use my wife to help backing in, once I am in back yard I can still open the slides.

So has anyone else dealt with very tight issues such as this and any mishaps, I sure would not want to damage my motorhome but the house had everything we needed expect a nice wide gate..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I park beside my house and have to be within 2" of clearance on both sides to extend my rooms on both sides.

I painted lines on the concrete to center my coach so when I back in I just look at the lines using my mirrors and get between the lines.

My mirrors are just high enough to go over the gate otherwise I couldn't get in.

I do ALL parking everywhere by myself.

For me there is nothing worse than somebody back there waving their arms.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

I painted lines on the concrete to center my coach so when I back in I just look at the lines using my mirrors and get between the lines.

My mirrors are just high enough to go over the gate otherwise I couldn't get in.

Yes my mirrors will go over the gate where its attached to the block wall but this house has rock parking for the motorhome so painting lines wont work so well, I have taught my wife to watch and let me know what is needed without waving her hands and telling me to turn the wrong way, took a few years training, she will be my only hope for this till I get comfortable not needing her help.

I have been in tight areas camping but this is really tight, hope I don't just stare at one mirror and forget the other side.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could lay down some painted white 2X4's and park between them.

Pound a big nail in the ground at each end of the 2X4's so you will know where to place them after you determine the best spot.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:57 PM   #5

Yep was thinking about some long 2x4's to help guide rv, sure wish the gate opening was just another 6 inches wider, going to be slow white knuckle backing in and driving out.

At least this home has rv parking and 30 amp hookup, very few homes in Vegas have this, I guess who ever owned it must of just had a travel trailer or sort, not a wide 8.6 foot motorhome with awning arms that adds another 3 inches..

Another plus for this rental once I am pass the gate I can back just past the house and open up both slides on each side of rv and put out the awning.

The house needs some small fixes I wonder if I can convince the owner some trading, I do the small fixes and such and he redo the gate and make it wider..

Old 11-20-2020, 12:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I sold my home that has RV parking for my motorhome, plenty of clearance to back in, so I found a good rental near my home I just sold that has RV parking with some hookups and signed a 1 year lease, however the gate opening only gives me 4 inch on each side backing in, my guess is I will use my wife to help backing in, once I am in back yard I can still open the slides.

So has anyone else dealt with very tight issues such as this and any mishaps, I sure would not want to damage my motorhome but the house had everything we needed expect a nice wide gate..
Pay the money and have the opening enlarged. It will be a cold day in he*# before I have the DW helping me back in. The day I cannot back in by myself is the day I sell the motorhome.
Mile Marker 42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisrael42 View Post
Pay the money and have the opening enlarged. It will be a cold day in he*# before I have the DW helping me back in. The day I cannot back in by myself is the day I sell the motorhome.

Well it would require moving a small section of wall next to house and having a bigger iron gate built, I suspect it would cost a few $$ that I would not want to throw away for someone else especially when my rent is $1695 per month..

My wife does good job guiding me most the time ?
Old 11-20-2020, 01:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The good thing about backing into that tight opening all the time is that when you get to any RV park it will be a cinch to back into any spot they give you.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I took a chain saw to 1' of my overhang. Cleaned it up nicely of course and properly but widened the opening a bit.

Only problem was when I had a very low tire on one side and the TT I was parking there leaned a tad too much and got dinged on a post while pulling out.

I always have help backing. If something goes wrong I can blame her.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #10

You can also use FaceTime as remote camera and get audible directions ,just be aware there is a slight lag time. I need to back as close as I can to eves of garage just used it.
You could also use something like a pool noodle to create a closer visual measure /guide to make it easier to estimate getting close or further .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #11

Pool noodle on the gate protrusions would be a nondamaging indicator of too darn close.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I've also got to back through a spot at home where I've got a TOTAL of 6 inches extra to work with. This is at sidewall height, not mirror height. Once I'm thought that skinny spot and am parked there is plenty of room to open the slides. I've discovered that using some orange cones helps a LOT. They are very easy to see in a mirror and you can set them in a row so that you can follow it to know if you are on the proper path or not. Basically it's "miss the cones then miss the wall". I've done it enough times now that I only need a couple of cones in the places that are hard to see in the mirrors. Like everything else, it'll get easier with practice.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

I like the cone idea, but I also have a GMRS radios, and I ask that she stand around the back, and if it looks like I am going to hit something, please stay STOP! I am amazed at how many people play the waving arms game when GMRS radios are so easy to use. And I can ask a question about something like "how close are the slide out awnings to xxx?" or "how many inches do I have between X and Y?" It's just nice to have a second set of eyes watching for problems, and being able to immediately communicate a problem.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #14

I have been backing through a 10' wide gate at one of our homes for three years now. It's been working, but requires caution. I just had a 4' stub cement block wall removed yesterday and will be installing a 14' double gate plus a 3' walk in gate. You're correct in that it can cost a bit of $$$$. I chose an all aluminum one made for my opening. Even though the 10' opening has been working, I figured one mistake and I could do more damage than the cost of the new gate. Plus after the repairs, I would still have a 10' gate. You should at least talk to the owner about a wider gate. Maybe sharing some of the cost if you intend to rent for several years. It would make it more attractive for renters with RV's in the future.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome