Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Backing up without a Spotter

I'm currently working on getting a Nevada Class B drivers license and one of the required skills test is to back up the coach (43ft class A diesel pusher) from a 45 degree angle into a 12ft wide space without using a spotter, a camera, hitting any cones or getting out to inspect.

Obviously this is something you would never do in real life but it's part of the exam so I need to master it somehow. My biggest hurdle is how to determine where the back wheels are and when to start my turn using only mirrors, I can stick my head out the window but not far enough to see my wheels while still buckled into the drivers seat.

Any suggestions are greatly welcome, I've got about 2 weeks before I go back in to retest.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Check out this thread... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/highl...eo-199348.html
Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you want to know where the rear wheels are, use your power mirrors and run them down far enough so you can see the wheels.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

I do it all the time I prefer sticking my head out just keep the line the same down the side. Loosen the seat belt so you can lean out.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi itgeekgal,
This is what I have for you to consider, it is what I have done.
1. Purchase some of those small pads one uses on the feet of chairs. Lowe's and HD carry them.
2. You'll need two helpers.
3. One helper is to stand next to the rear drive wheels making sure their feet are where the wheels touch the ground.
4. You are in the driver's seat with you and the mirrors set to the driving position.
5. Tell the second helper where to place one of those small round pads on the lower mirror so the 1st helper's feet are covered up
6. Do the same for the other side.

Now you know where the drive wheels (pivot point) are located. I have done this for over 20 years and it works for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #6

My coach has a lower level side marker light about 20 inches in front of the rear axle. I lower my mirror, turn on the park/run lights and use that light to help determine the pivot point.

Fred
Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You guys rock! I am headed back to the DMV in 2 weeks and will head to a large parking lot 1st and try out some of these great tips... thank you so much!!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Watch the videos on this site. They give you some great tips.

Lazydays Driver Confidence Course: Driving An RV From Dream to a Reality - betterRVing! Experience better RVing.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
From a 45 degree angle you should be able to do it in your sleep. 90 degrees would be different, and much more difficult, depending on how wide the road you started on was.

You're right, in the real world you'd have the rear camera available and you'd be able to undo your belts and lean out the window. In the real world, if I lost my backup camera I'd find someone to spot for me. In the real world, I'd stop and get out to confirm I'm where I think I am, and want to be. But government established rules and regulations frequently have no resemblance to the real world.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #10

I took the same test in Nevada. I went to the CC Fire Department and looked at their test pad for their driving test (they use interior testers who are DMV qualified to administer and test firemen who are all required to have a non-comm class B). I talked with one of their raters and then replicated the same test with cones on a friends lot. It was a piece of cake after that. Good luck ! Let us know how you do.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #11

Practice makes perfect!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote