Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #1

Backup camera help

I have an 04 Phaeton with an old black and white backup cam and would like to upgrade. My preference is a new wired system using the old wire. The old plug to the camera has a weird connector with 4 pins. I assume it is carrying the video signal and also receiving power from the monitor.
Can someone with experience give an opinion if would be practical to cut off the connectors and use the cable for a new system?
vseasport is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I just did this through RVCams.com. Not cheap but I gave him my old Voyager (I think that was the manufacturer) model number and he sent a new camera and monitor. All plug and play with no wiring issues as it plugged into the old cable. A bonus was the new camera mounted up on the old mount.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
My preference is a new wired system using the old wire. The old plug to the camera has a weird connector with 4 pins. I assume it is carrying the video signal and also receiving power from the monitor.
Can someone with experience give an opinion if would be practical to cut off the connectors and use the cable for a new system?
I would try to use the same cable. As long as you can determine which pins are for what. I bought a second camera (Voyager) and it has a small four pin connector - so I think it is possible to just cut the plug end off the existing cable and install an new end that matches the camera (or vise versa).

The difficultly will probably be getting a matching connector. You could try Allied, if the camera manufacture can't help https://www.alliedelec.com/connector...eo-connectors/
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #4

I am looking at the same thing. If it is a Voyager camera, they use what are called CEC connectors. I cant find the actual connectors anywhere. What i will do is this. The new color camera from RVcams, comes with a male connector, all cams do. You need to buy a short extension cable and cut and splice the female end onto your existing wire then plug in the camera. The reason you must do this is that very few cameras have enough slack in the cable to reach the connection point, they're usually stapled downstream somewhere.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I used these guys to replace my Weldex 7 inch B&W model WDRV-307M in my 2005 Dolphin with the Weldex WDRV-7063M 7 inch color LCD , Camera WDRV-7063C . Used the adapter mounting bracket WDRV-7CRTLCD .
It is plug and play and about $80.00 less than the other suppliers I check with .
It maybe a good fit for the 7 inch B&W Voyager also ?

https://www.atvresearch.com/wdrv-7063m.aspx
Old 11-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
I have an 04 Phaeton with an old black and white backup cam and would like to upgrade. My preference is a new wired system using the old wire. The old plug to the camera has a weird connector with 4 pins. I assume it is carrying the video signal and also receiving power from the monitor.
Used this from Amazon and have been pleased - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

If you just connect wires then I'd Suggest you use these to make the Connections - Easy, clean and they Work - - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my case I ran a new wire - was easy enough - as I ran it down the side - above the basement doors - so it is out of sight and clean - So there are many ways to solve this issue.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

One other consideration is this. My Newmar has a 3 camera system that switches on in turning. Also my rear camera has Audio. Good for backing up to hear people yelling if you're gonna hit something.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
One other consideration is this. My Newmar has a 3 camera system that switches on in turning. Also my rear camera has Audio. Good for backing up to hear people yelling if you're gonna hit something.
I have that set up too.
But I unplugged the audio as it is annoying when driving because it over powers the radio-music volume of my dash monitor (and I don't want to hear the engine running when I'm just switching views to the rear camera going down the highway) - so I just give my DW a walkie-talkie to use for guiding me back.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #9

I don't have my manuals w/ me at home so going by foggy memory. I also have the same model as you. Purchased & Installed 3 camera sys. from RVS. The Phaeton has a 4 wire cable from camera to monitor, the new camera is a 5 wire. After talking to RVS, they suggested using the coax around the original wires as the ground wire, there-by supplying the 5th wire needed. Worked like a charm & didn't need to run about 60' of new wire.
Hope it helps some,
LP
connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera