RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Backup camera woes

Over the New Year's weekend, the backup camera on the coach decided to also take a vacation...just when I could have used it to back into our spot. The monitor came on, then just gradually faded to nothing. I used a volt meter to test the incoming voltage to the Sony B/W monitor, and it showed 13.2 volts. I spoke to Tim at RVCams (a really cool guy), and without seeing it in person, guessed by previous experience that the 16 year old cathode ray monitor had checked out. I found a used monitor in a wrecking yard, but they wanted $200.00 for a used, 16 year old cathode ray monitor. LOL. I already had one of those!
I decided to splurge and buy a new flat screen monitor and camera that actually was color! WooHoo!
Today was my first day off since getting the system, so I went out and installed the monitor. I fired up the coach, plugged the cord going to the Sony camera (it's supposed to work, only in B/W), dropped it in reverse, and...nothing. Great. Well, the good thing is when I bought the monitor, I also sprung for the camera, just in case the old Sony camera ever failed. I plugged the camera into the monitor in the coach to make sure the monitor wasn't DOA, worked fine. So, I get out the Little Giant, climb up and remove the old camera, plug the new camera in, and go check again. Nothing. Well, snap! The only thing remaining is the cable running front to rear. Winnebago's schematics are pretty much worthless for this application, so my question is this;
Have any of you ever attempted to replace the 65' cable going to the dash? I'm really not looking forward to trying to run a new cable. Any ideas/suggestions?
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
Over the New Year's weekend, the backup camera on the coach decided to also take a vacation...just when I could have used it to back into our spot. The monitor came on, then just gradually faded to nothing. I used a volt meter to test the incoming voltage to the Sony B/W monitor, and it showed 13.2 volts. I spoke to Tim at RVCams (a really cool guy), and without seeing it in person, guessed by previous experience that the 16 year old cathode ray monitor had checked out. I found a used monitor in a wrecking yard, but they wanted $200.00 for a used, 16 year old cathode ray monitor. LOL. I already had one of those!
I decided to splurge and buy a new flat screen monitor and camera that actually was color! WooHoo!
Today was my first day off since getting the system, so I went out and installed the monitor. I fired up the coach, plugged the cord going to the Sony camera (it's supposed to work, only in B/W), dropped it in reverse, and...nothing. Great. Well, the good thing is when I bought the monitor, I also sprung for the camera, just in case the old Sony camera ever failed. I plugged the camera into the monitor in the coach to make sure the monitor wasn't DOA, worked fine. So, I get out the Little Giant, climb up and remove the old camera, plug the new camera in, and go check again. Nothing. Well, snap! The only thing remaining is the cable running front to rear. Winnebago's schematics are pretty much worthless for this application, so my question is this;
Have any of you ever attempted to replace the 65' cable going to the dash? I'm really not looking forward to trying to run a new cable. Any ideas/suggestions?
It takes 12v to fire up the camera. The old camera I think takes 8.3v. If you are using the new camera with the old box, that might be the problem. The way it works is that when you place it in reverse you place 12v on the wire that goes to the camera. I would think the camera cable is NOT the problem. In all my years of technical work, wire was the least likely thing to go bad. That said, when you place it in reverse, do you have 12v coming out of the control box and going to the wire going to the camera? If not your problem is well before any wire problem. Check that first. No 12v out of the control box, no camera. Check to make sure you have 6 wires in the cable. If you have 6, you only need 4, If in fact it happens to be a bad wire, you can use one of the other 2 left in the cable and you don't need to replace the whole cable. Let me know.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:41 AM   #3

I have 13.2v going into the monitor. If I unplug the cable going back and plug the new camera directly into the monitor, it works fine. I'm using all the wire adapters that came with the kit, by the way.
New monitor is mounted in dash and wired per instructions. Old camera to original cable at rear of coach to new monitor via cable-nothing.
New camera at rear to original cable to monitor via cable-nothing.
New camera plugged directly into new monitor at dash-works perfectly.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My take is replace the cable, run it under the rig and up throgh the nose. That way you know you have it all new.....

With any luck the run will take you less than an hour to complete, make sure you seal the wire hole going into the house up front
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
My take is replace the cable, run it under the rig and up throgh the nose. That way you know you have it all new.....

With any luck the run will take you less than an hour to complete, make sure you seal the wire hole going into the house up front
The biggest trick is going to get it from the top center down to one side underneath behind the rear cap.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure how the rear of your MH is set up but on our 2001 Bounder there was an open channel all the way around the rear. The camera itself was mounted just below the channel. I drilled a hole in the channel and inserted the camera cable. I removed all the screws going along the right side of the channel and peeled it back just far enough to insert the long cable. In hindsight I would have done the left side channel because I ended up running the cable along the left side underneath. Regardless I just cable tied it all along the way to the front. Make sure you leave a little slack in the cable to allow for flexing of the vehicle and when you get to the front make every effort to stay as far away as possible from the engine. It did take me longer than an hour but it also wasn't a 4 hour job. If necessary I can try and find a picture of the channel I am referring to so you'll understand. We don't have that bus any longer so Incan't just get a shot of it.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the rear of your unit looks like this ...... I am no help to you !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	149142  

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I might be able to save you a lot of time and crawling if you sent me some pictures. What model do you have? If you are getting 13.2 volts to the monitor, is it there all the time or just when you put it in reverse? Again, most non-techy people resort to pulling out everything and starting new, but the problem is usually a connector not the cable. A good tech can cut the end off of the old cable and rewire it. This is far more preferable than ripping apart wire bundles inside the coach. The camera only takes 4 wires. It isn't rocket science. You have positive 13.2v, ground, plus signal, and signal ground. Does your connector have 6 pins on it? The problem could be in the connector that feeds the cable. You could find out that removing and replacing the entire cable doesn't solve the problem. Pictures please.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
In addition:

If you run all new wire, wouldn't you have to put new ends on the cable to be able to connect to the camera anyway?..Yes. So why would you pull out a perfectly good cable only to change the ends on it. After reading your posts again, I think there is a distinct possibility that you may have an adaptor miss-match. The very first thing I would do is plug the cable in in the front and see if there is 13v on the back of the bus at the camera. You might need two people to do this if you have to put the rig in reverse. Safety first. If you have voltage there, I would measure ohms to ground to see if you had a good ground on the cable, if that was OK then I would unplug the cable in the front of the bus and short the signal and signal ground on the rear of the bus and measure at the front end of the cable to see if the wire was in fact broken or if it had continuity. Try that first before you do a lot for nothing.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
If the rear of your unit looks like this ...... I am no help to you !
Yep, exactly like that.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
I might be able to save you a lot of time and crawling if you sent me some pictures. What model do you have? If you are getting 13.2 volts to the monitor, is it there all the time or just when you put it in reverse? Again, most non-techy people resort to pulling out everything and starting new, but the problem is usually a connector not the cable. A good tech can cut the end off of the old cable and rewire it. This is far more preferable than ripping apart wire bundles inside the coach. The camera only takes 4 wires. It isn't rocket science. You have positive 13.2v, ground, plus signal, and signal ground. Does your connector have 6 pins on it? The problem could be in the connector that feeds the cable. You could find out that removing and replacing the entire cable doesn't solve the problem. Pictures please.
The kit I bought from RVCams.com came with 3 adapters for various applications, but I only used the one for the Sony 4 wire plug that is in the coach. I did some pondering last night, and decided to leave the coach parked in front of the house for one more day until I can call them in the morning for their input. I am kind of leaning towards a connection problem, as well. The adapter for the camera is very hard to plug in, even though I triple checked the clock orientation to make sure the notches line up. If there is a connection problem, I'm betting it's there.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
See post #7 or my avatar.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #13

Upon re-reading my posts, I neglected to mention one more tidbit of information. RVCams said that my original B/W camera and cable would display on the new monitor, just in B/W not color. The B/W camera did not power up when I installed the new monitor, either. That is what made me think the cord is bad.
Am I missing anything?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
Upon re-reading my posts, I neglected to mention one more tidbit of information. RVCams said that my original B/W camera and cable would display on the new monitor, just in B/W not color. The B/W camera did not power up when I installed the new monitor, either. That is what made me think the cord is bad.
Am I missing anything?
No but that is a good bit of intel. I agree with you that it is more than likely a connection problem. Is there any way that you can get a volt meter on the back camera while someone else holds the breaks so you can measure the 13.2v at the camera in the back? If you take this step by step, you can find your problem.
Step two is to find out if the signal pair has continuity and if it is connected to the right pair. This should be pretty simple. I don't know how much techy stuff you have done but if you cut the heatshrink tubing around the patch cables it will reveal the pins and you can measure the voltage. When you find the problem just go down to the nearest electronics store and purchase some more heat shrink and heat it up around the connector. My guess is that there are wires that have been crossed and the adaptor isn't doing the job. Just think of electrons as water flowing through a pipe (wire) and it has to make a complete loop through the equipment that you have. You'll find it. These pictures might help you find the problem.

Plus stands for + volts.
G stands for ground.
V is video signal +
G is signal ground.
The other two pins are audio signal and ground.

Worst case scenario is to cut the ends off the cable and wire them directly bypassing the adaptors. There are only 4 wires for the camera. The monitor works so you don't have to do anything there. I would wait and call the vendor in the morning. He might have a quick answer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7ef42d884944fc6053cd22cd7e64d8f7.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	149221   Click image for larger version

Name:	8e8304b743fec19513386a90fa0e8a39.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	149222  

Name:	b2fcb3e7f29495e3b9fd738a703467a4.jpg