Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

backup cameras

Our new-to-us rig does not have a back up camera. We installed a hard wired BUC in the old rig, but this unit is a little more challenging due to the construction. I've heard tell the wireless cameras can be a problem because there is a delay in the send and receive of the images....does anyone have any experience with these?
tyaughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cameras are tools. Like tools, their price is based upon their quality and size. After buying my RV, I had installed a large color monitor with hard wired 2 side cameras, 2 nose cameras and a rear camera that moves up and down, left and right giving 180 degree visibility. Repair damage to an RV from obstacles that jump out like fuel pumps, parked cars, tree limbs, boulders, logs, posts and fences usually begins at $3K or more. Now what is the value of your RV and a quality camera to you. Also, how reliable is your ground guide ?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
jr1

I recommend RVCAMS.COM. These gentlemen are extremely knowledgible and have a wide selection of name brand systems, kits and individual items at very reasonable prices. They also stock numerous convertion kits and cables. Their service is outstanding and they will support you with free advice and troubleshooting if you have any issues at all with installation. They also stand behind the products they sell.
We bought a color LCD Voyager system with new rear and side cams to replace the old in dash monochrome CRT rear only custom Triple Vision system in our previous 2005 Tiffin Allegro MH. Their support was amazing, though they had no detailed knowldge of the Triple Vision system. I eventually sent them detailed step by step instructions for this conversion with photos and the old Triple vision system (had no $ value and they provided a shipping label).

BTW: If anyone would like a copy, message me with your email address.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
DW just ordered us a wireless 7" LCD rear vision camera with microphone for about $250 + shipping. Looks pretty straight forward on installation. I am planning on installing this weekend on my MH and I will let you know how it all goes....
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyaughton View Post
Our new-to-us rig does not have a back up camera. We installed a hard wired BUC in the old rig, but this unit is a little more challenging due to the construction. I've heard tell the wireless cameras can be a problem because there is a delay in the send and receive of the images....does anyone have any experience with these?
I use a wireless cam and a wired cam at the same time, Both work fine. I do not see any delay in the wireless cam. Sometimes there are slight interference issues with the wireless but in general the wireless works fine.

As others have noted, there are many good wireless cams out there. I got mine from "TadiBrothers.com" for about $250 with a 7"mon.

Go for the wireless.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #6

I ordered a wired camera and 7" colour monitor from Dieselboss a few weeks ago, and installed it last week. Cost was under $200. Dieselboss has excellent prices, good quality equipment and they are very knowledgeable. Very happy with the results.
Judy
tyaughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Cameras are tools. Like tools, their price is based upon their quality and size. After buying my RV, I had installed a large color monitor with hard wired 2 side cameras, 2 nose cameras and a rear camera that moves up and down, left and right giving 180 degree visibility. Repair damage to an RV from obstacles that jump out like fuel pumps, parked cars, tree limbs, boulders, logs, posts and fences usually begins at $3K or more. Now what is the value of your RV and a quality camera to you. Also, how reliable is your ground guide ?
Could you post a picture of your "nose" camera? I am considering the same.
Thanks.