Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Bad batteries?

Today when waking into our RV, there was the smell of rotten eggs when walking through the entry door.

From reading through the forums I suspect it’s time to replace the batteries. The rig is a 2015 and I expected another year or two out of the batteries but don’t think it’s uncommon to have them needing replacement after 4 years.

My question is whether there is a possibility of the chassis battery being bad instead of the deep cycle batteries? All the batteries are housed under the entry step (even the chassis battery).

The two aux batteries are reading 12.73 and the chassis battery is reading 12.3. Any thoughts on how to determine which is leaking the odor?
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is your fridge running?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

Typically when i smell rotten eggs, or sulphur, i think its overcharging, gas from the Batts.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Feel the batteries, an over charged one will be hot, watch out for the hydrigen gas, use disposable gloves and eye protection
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

Ok, so I moved the RV from from the drive way to the street where it will remain parked.

1 - The fridge is not running.
2 - None of the batteries are warm or hot to the touch.

I did however take to voltmeter to it to double check the readings. The chassis remains consistent at 12.3. The aux batteries increase to over 13.3. Could they be the culprits and being over charged while the engine is running? I'm not even sure they get charged while the engine is running but I'm sure someone can confirm.

I also don;'t currently have it plugged to shore power and I have the batteries disconnect to off.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

How long did you wait after the charging cycle before testing the battery voltage? 12.3 volts is just under 70% charged. 13.3 volts sounds like you measured the voltage right after charging. They should settle down to around 12.6 volts.
Does the smell go away when the batteries are not being charged?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

I measured them the second time about 20-30 minutes after the charge cycle.

I notice the smell most after it's been sitting for a bit. For instance, if I go in tomorrow morning, it will be the most noticeable. Even if I have the battery disconnect to off.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unless you have solar, there should be no charging with the shore power disconnected and the engine shut off. It takes up to 3 hours for the surface charge to settle down and allow an accurate measurement.

Depending on how it is wired the battery shutoff may allow charging from solar panels and in motorhomes it will not usually disconnect propane detectors which are your largestparasitic draw.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

That smell is more likely due to bacteria in your plumbing system - either your water heater or your tanks. When the anode in your water heater corrodes it will give off that sulfur smell.
If you're sure your gray/black tanks are clean, you can start by following the manufacturers instructions for draining and sanitizing the water heater tank and while you're at it sanitize your fresh water system. If that doesn't work, the water heater anode may need to be replaced.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
That smell is more likely due to bacteria in your plumbing system - either your water heater or your tanks. When the anode in your water heater corrodes it will give off that sulfur smell.
If you're sure your gray/black tanks are clean, you can start by following the manufacturers instructions for draining and sanitizing the water heater tank and while you're at it sanitize your fresh water system. If that doesn't work, the water heater anode may need to be replaced.
Sonic, you may be on to something I removed the anode from the water heater and sure enough I'd say 95% of the rod had been eaten away. I much of the crystallized gunk came out. I'll be washing it out with a water wand and then installing a new rod shortly.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Could also be a propane leak. Turn the tank off, air the MH out, and see if the smell goes away.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Could also be a propane leak. Turn the tank off, air the MH out, and see if the smell goes away.
Hi Wideglide, propane has been off for at least
2-3 weeks. It had been in storage until I picked it up and noticed the smell.
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #13

I think the slime is because of aluminium anode byproduct falls in tank . Try to get magnesium.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...N8ZFOD4xbU2nov
A drain vacuum breaker may be bad /open to drain leaking or empty trap my have siphoned because of a faulty closed vacuum breaker. Or just plain dry/empty. Smell around washer.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Hi Wideglide, propane has been off for at least
2-3 weeks. It had been in storage until I picked it up and noticed the smell.
Valves go bad.... I've seen it. When I had the rotten egg smell it was gas...
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries