Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #71

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarSea View Post
Never seen diesel at Costco???
I don't know about most states but many Costco's in CA, OR and WA have diesel - problem is some are difficult for larger RV's to access.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinging View Post
I drove a fuel truck for many years, I can tell you it doesn't matter where you buy your fuel. It usually comes out of the same tank at the fuel terminal and is shipped to different stations.The problem most of the time is a driver cross drops the fuel at the station. "Gas in the diesel".or water form rain if the driveway doesn't drain well. Also if the fuel sets in the tank too long like at a really small station that sells mostly gas and you buy Diesel. Sometimes super gas is not so super if the driver puts regular in the super tank. Some owners will order too much regular and tell the driver to "just drop it in the super tank. I buy the cheapest big brand most of the time and sniff the air as I fill up. Hope this is of some use.
I have always suspected that all Fuel gas or diesel comes from the cheapest supplier, A few year back at an RV Park in Colorado a guy told me he got some bad diesel after he filled up and drove about 25 miles white smoke started coming out his exhaust ruined his engine. Later I ask several mechanics working at a John Deere shop about this, they all agreed he put Gasoline in his Diesel. I think of that every time I reach for that pump handel.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
I have always avoided refuelling when I see a tanker delivering fuel. I figure that the fresh intake stirs up the sediment in the tank and it takes time to settle. Maybe I am wrong but I have followed this practice for almost 55 years and it has stood me in good stead. Yes I do change filters on a regular basis. Cheap insurance.
bingo!!
smkymtnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #74

Agree on all, but add a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
We will not purchase fuel from Flying J, T/A, or Pilot as we get half the fuel mileage than from Costco, Chevron, or Shell. Even Kroger/Fry's is better.
Gas Buddy is what tells me to avoid the big 3. But I would add Safeway, 7/11 and agree n Fry's to my favorites. Local chains. like Maverik(?) in the SW have been reliables stops.

Good idea on carrying filter and wrench, though I never have had a problem.

Is the fuel on the commercial side of truck stops identical to that on the consumer side?
joesesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #75

Sorry for the bunny trail off the original post. TSD Logistics discount won't work for gasoline. Diesel only....and in the truck fueling lanes only...not all stations. Very nice discount, however, primarily at Love's, Pilot/Flying J, Travel America, and Saaps...... Love's usually the best at the moment, buy they have an easy-to-use app that gives current pricing at nearby locations. Thanks for
JLind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #76

I agree with all the posts that state that if you got a load of contaminated fuel changing the fuel filter would not fix your problem. There is a fuel filter on a diesel to catch small amounts of contamination introduced into fuel system by poor refueling conditions and condensation buildup in the chassis fuel tank. If you don’t have a spare one with you, you should. It is not a issue of if, but when you will need one. Con you explain how a clogged filter broke your fuel pump? I also agree that the number of trucks at all major truck stops is an indication they are reliable. Not to say it won’t happen but if it does you will need a tow truck. Then a call to the truck Stop would be in order. You won’t be the only one calling.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
I have always avoided refuelling when I see a tanker delivering fuel. I figure that the fresh intake stirs up the sediment in the tank and it takes time to settle. Maybe I am wrong but I have followed this practice for almost 55 years and it has stood me in good stead. Yes I do change filters on a regular basis. Cheap insurance.

I’ve always done this as well based on advice my dad gave me as a teen. He felt that any water in the station’s tank could get temporarily mixed in with the fuel.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
I have used Pilot and Flying J almost exclusively for 8 years and have never had an issue with fuel quality.

If the fuel there was sub-par, you would not see the majority of OTR trucks fueling up there on a daily basis.

I'm sure that isolated incidents can and have occured, but it is certainly not the norm for most commercial diesel fueling centers where there is a constant turnover of product.
No issue in 10 years and 150,000 miles with either
Old 02-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #79

I have been using diesel from all of the 'problem' stations for years and years and have never had an issue at all.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #80

I think internet trolls working as cashiers for 7-11s,
Shell and Costco 's etc. Are trashing the fuel that keeps Americans truckers running down the Roads. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji848] 24/7
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I avoid Pilot

They are generally: Dirty, overpriced, and, they won't let us buy def at the pump...there's always a problem with the pump, but we can buy it for $13.00 per gallon in the jug.

Not to mention prepaying with the $100 credit card charge, given to folks that don't look trustworthy, before we pump

Did I say dirty?
Pilot RV Plus card. Pay @ the “big truck” pumps for fuel & DEF & get a small discount.

Truck stops dirty? Really? Gather you haven’t been in many....
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #82

I know two things for sure. From Arkansas to California, along I-40, all the truck stops I've used will have somewhere between B5-B20 (bio diesel)mix. Around home here, the convienence and grocery stores have real diesel, no bio-junk. I always try to fill up with non bio-diesel when I know the truck will set for awhile. The pumps are supposed to be marked if the fuel contains bio-diesel, but who knows when you're traveling. I concur, safer to use the big truck stops when away from home. However, it very well could be that straight diesel fuel would give you better fuel mileage, over bio-diesel, but not half again better. One thing to consider, bio-diesel is the best lubricator you can get, better than the additives so the tests say.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #83

Many, many years and many, many Pilot stations. Never bad fuel, but I do believe the biodiesel cuts off about a mile per gallon in fuel mileage. I too, get better mileage when I get my fuel at our local station which does not have any biodiesel label on the pump.
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Tell us about that discount.

Probably the TSD Logistics fuel card program.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

It's what I use.
jsmauk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel