Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We used to RV with a guy who drove a tanker for Rotten Robbie - he always told us that when he got in line to fill his load, he was in the same line as the Shell, Texaco, Chevron, and independent drivers. The ONLY difference in the load was what additives the driver added...

I don’t believe for a minute the any Driver adds Additives to their loads of fuel !
Most all Diesel today is B20 meaning it has 20% Bio Additives.
When the switch was made years ago the only thing I noticed was a more frequent Fuel Filter change - gets a little sluggish if you will - no Big Deal - I change all 3 of my Fuel Filters @ 5 to 8000 miles .
In the last 239000 miles Fueling at Flying J Exclusively I’ve never had Bad Fuel !
The OP had a Coincidence of a Bad Fuel Pump or whatever at the same time He Fueled and Dumped on the Station !
Bottom line here is Change Your Fuel Filters !!!!!!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I have used a lot of fuel from Flying J, but now, most fuel is from Loves because of the $.45 to $.65 discount I get there. I've also used TA and smaller firms as well. The mileage and performance stays the same and I service the filters once a year.

Tell us about that discount.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bad Diesel Fuel from Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We used to RV with a guy who drove a tanker for Rotten Robbie - he always told us that when he got in line to fill his load, he was in the same line as the Shell, Texaco, Chevron, and independent drivers. The ONLY difference in the load was what additives the driver added...

I can confirm this, as When I was working, I often travelled with the tankers in the morning headed for the port to fill up. One would often hear them telling other drivers, "the brand x tanks. are all out, you will have to fill up at brand y. Same story only the additives distinguish what you get at the gas pump.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #46

I have always avoided refuelling when I see a tanker delivering fuel. I figure that the fresh intake stirs up the sediment in the tank and it takes time to settle. Maybe I am wrong but I have followed this practice for almost 55 years and it has stood me in good stead. Yes I do change filters on a regular basis. Cheap insurance.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I don’t believe for a minute the any Driver adds Additives to their loads of fuel !
Most all Diesel today is B20 meaning it has 20% Bio Additives.
When the switch was made years ago the only thing I noticed was a more frequent Fuel Filter change - gets a little sluggish if you will - no Big Deal - I change all 3 of my Fuel Filters @ 5 to 8000 miles .
In the last 239000 miles Fueling at Flying J Exclusively I’ve never had Bad Fuel !
The OP had a Coincidence of a Bad Fuel Pump or whatever at the same time He Fueled and Dumped on the Station !
Bottom line here is Change Your Fuel Filters !!!!!!
You can Believe that the Tanker Drivers do add their own additive, I have watched them do it often while sitting at a truck stop waiting for a load.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
You can Believe that the Tanker Drivers do add their own additive, I have watched them do it often while sitting at a truck stop waiting for a load.
Having owned and operated trucks hauling fuel the additives are in tanks on the load platform catwalks

One fuel terminal typically serves all brands for 150-250 miles

There are very few refiners like Cenex that add their additives at the pump terminal
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Tell us about that discount.
Do a search here for "TSD Logistics". There has been several discussions and testimonies here. Big savings for many.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #50

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
I have always avoided refuelling when I see a tanker delivering fuel. I figure that the fresh intake stirs up the sediment in the tank and it takes time to settle. Maybe I am wrong but I have followed this practice for almost 55 years and it has stood me in good stead. Yes I do change filters on a regular basis. Cheap insurance.

I was told by a friend who worked at a gas station that 55 years ago that was necessary, but today there are so many filters on the pump that it is no longer a concern.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Do a search here for "TSD Logistics". There has been several discussions and testimonies here. Big savings for many.

Oh, thanks. I have a gas coach.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans1999f-53 View Post
The Pilot in our town has been tested and have the worse fuel in town. AVOID!
How do they stay open when no OTR truckers are refueling there? Word will spread very quickly in the trucking industry.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I was told by a friend who worked at a gas station that 55 years ago that was necessary, but today there are so many filters on the pump that it is no longer a concern.
I was fueling my diesel Grand Cherokee at a Sheetz in PA some time back and a tanker was off-loading fuel. So I asked the driver what he thought about tankers stirring up the crud in the tank, and that's pretty much what he said, too - there are a bunch of filters in the system, and crap doesn't get past them nor accumulate over time when it's stirred up because the filters clean it as the pump is running.

No idea how true that is, but I choose to believe it.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The only filter at the station is the small one on the hose.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #55

Not familiar with them, but I’ve seen plenty of break-away couplings with check valves at the top of hoses. We are required to use them on our portable 500 gallon diesel tanks for the field, in fact - 1” OPW brand is what we use, as I recall, which we get from ARK Petroleum. And the field guys pull them apart at an alarming rate, requiring shop rebuilding.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #56

Correlation does not equal causation.

Fuel filters becoming clogged immediately after fueling doesn't mean that the fuel caused the problem, and like said above if it was bad fuel than one filter change would not have even come close to curing the problem.

One possible scenario...

The pumps at a truck stop flow MUCH faster than pumps at a "regular" fuel station. Assuming an RV is usually fueled at a regular station, and that it has some sludge in the bottom of the tank like many RVs do. The RV is pulled into a truck stop, and the high-flow pump mixes that sludge into the fuel as it flows quickly into the tank. It's possible that the engine fuel pump will pick up enough of this floating sludge to clog a filter. By the time to filter is changed and the engine restarted, most of the sludge has once again settled out of the fuel to the bottom of the tank.

Just one possible scenario.

I once had a tractor with a diesel engine. With half tank or less of fuel, it would stall when the tractor was moving with the left side lower than the right (wheels in a ditch). Took forever to figure it out, but the problem was that tiny spiders had been living in the tank for years, and then dying in the tank for years. Their dead bodies formed a floating mass in the tank, and with just the right conditions it would clog the intake tube.

My point? It's really hard sometimes to pinpoint the problem and unless there are lots of vehicles stalling out when leaving the fuel station I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel