Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The only filter at the station is the small one on the hose.

I agree and how often do those filters get changed out? I'm not sure, but most filters have a bypass in them once clogged to allow fuel to still be pumped.
We once had a farm tractor that would quit and drove us nuts. It turned out to be a suspended leaf in the gas tank that would sometimes block the pickup tube.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #58

We fuel at all the major trucking fuel stops (Loves, Flying J/ Pilot). We have not had a problem with furl in our 5 years. We actually avoid small stations; as it takes too long to fuel up. That is especially if we are low on fuel (150 gallon tank).
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans1999f-53 View Post
The Pilot in our town has been tested and have the worse fuel in town. AVOID!
Where is your town??
Mitziebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
We will not purchase fuel from Flying J, T/A, or Pilot as we get half the fuel mileage than from Costco, Chevron, or Shell. Even Kroger/Fry's is better.

I call BS.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #61

If there is any contamination it is certainly the tanks of the particular station. The fuel all comes out of the same pipeline - I see the trucks lined up at the local terminal. The drivers do put in additives, but I doubt they customarily contaminate fuel - not a very good business plan.

In 20 years of rving I have never gotten fuel that noticeably affected performance.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #62

I used to operate a tanker truck. Costco, frys and most other suppliers get there fuel from the cheapest bulk supplier bid. They change monthly or quarterly according to cheapest bid
farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #63

Texas Boomers Club
I buy from Pilot flying J most of the time. No problem for over twenty years. If you had contaminated fuel, changing your filter once would not correct the problem. Sorry for your trouble.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #64

well shucks, it's always someone else's fault, maybe we should lawyer up sorry guys not having a good day
Old 02-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #65

When traveling I use Pilot fuel. It has plant based biodiesel forgot the percent and my mileage drops about 1 MPG. I have checked it for numerous trips. When refilling at other places with pure diesel it goes back up. But never ever had a problem. I try to use big truck stops for easy use and good fuel.
RocksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans1999f-53 View Post
The Pilot in our town has been tested and have the worse fuel in town. AVOID!
How would this have been checked out to find it is "the worse fuel in town"?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
I avoid Pilot

They are generally: Dirty, overpriced, and, they won't let us buy def at the pump...there's always a problem with the pump, but we can buy it for $13.00 per gallon in the jug.

Not to mention prepaying with the $100 credit card charge, given to folks that don't look trustworthy, before we pump

Did I say dirty?
Old 02-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
We will not purchase fuel from Flying J, T/A, or Pilot as we get half the fuel mileage than from Costco, Chevron, or Shell. Even Kroger/Fry's is better.
Never seen diesel at Costco???
LunarSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #69

Bad fuel

I drove a fuel truck for many years, I can tell you it doesn't matter where you buy your fuel. It usually comes out of the same tank at the fuel terminal and is shipped to different stations.The problem most of the time is a driver cross drops the fuel at the station. "Gas in the diesel".or water form rain if the driveway doesn't drain well. Also if the fuel sets in the tank too long like at a really small station that sells mostly gas and you buy Diesel. Sometimes super gas is not so super if the driver puts regular in the super tank. Some owners will order too much regular and tell the driver to "just drop it in the super tank. I buy the cheapest big brand most of the time and sniff the air as I fill up. Hope this is of some use.
Goldwinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I avoid Pilot

They are generally: Dirty, overpriced, and, they won't let us buy def at the pump...there's always a problem with the pump, but we can buy it for $13.00 per gallon in the jug.

Not to mention prepaying with the $100 credit card charge, given to folks that don't look trustworthy, before we pump

Did I say dirty?

The solution is the TSD Logistics RV fueling program. TSD keeps your bank account debit info private (TSD runs that part of the transaction, not the fuel station). With Loves and TSD you can start the pump from your RV and never go inside to the fuel desk... I think the Pilot/Flying J app works the same way.

I don't expect you to change your ways but the overpriced part? With TSD you'll save 30-60 cents per gallon depending on the fuel station. There are a whole bunch of threads about the TSD program already on iRV2 so I'll stop here.

Tags
diesel, fuel