Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
I know two things for sure. From Arkansas to California, along I-40, all the truck stops I've used will have somewhere between B5-B20 (bio diesel)mix. Around home here, the convienence and grocery stores have real diesel, no bio-junk. I always try to fill up with non bio-diesel when I know the truck will set for awhile. The pumps are supposed to be marked if the fuel contains bio-diesel, but who knows when you're traveling. I concur, safer to use the big truck stops when away from home. However, it very well could be that straight diesel fuel would give you better fuel mileage, over bio-diesel, but not half again better. One thing to consider, bio-diesel is the best lubricator you can get, better than the additives so the tests say.
Today's ultra-low sulfur diesel/ULSD must have a lubricity additive mixed in. otherwise a diesel engine has a very short lifespan.
What is the additive those stations you state are "non-bio diesel" adding to their fuel?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
We will not purchase fuel from Flying J, T/A, or Pilot as we get half the fuel mileage than from Costco, Chevron, or Shell. Even Kroger/Fry's is better.
Half? Really? That sounds amazing. Bordering on unbelievable.

I prefer the RV lanes at truck stops. I have a hard time getting into about anything but truck stops. Truck stops have such high diesel fuel turnover, the fuel is almost always fresher and safer than other places with lower turnover. Truckstops sell mostly diesel to commercial customers; your average Costco, Chevron and Shell sell mostly gas for minivans and econoboxes.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #87

All diesel fuel will have SOME water. The longer it sits, the more likely it will start to separate-out. If it sits separated for a period of time, bacteria will grow on the top of the water and that bacteria will clog your filters. Carry spare filters and learn how to replace them. It's a pain, sometimes smelly, but most always effective.
Adding ethanol or methanol to diesel to treat water is usually the wrong thing to do. You want the water to be caught and separated in the filter, you do NOT want the water to be mixed with the fuel and run through your injector pump. Your fuel pickup is typically an inch or more from the bottom of the tank, if you're seeing a lot of water in your filter, you need to have your tank pumped out, filtered and returned to the tank. I used to do this for boats and fuel-oil tanks in houses.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Today's ultra-low sulfur diesel/ULSD must have a lubricity additive mixed in. otherwise a diesel engine has a very short lifespan.
What is the additive those stations you state are "non-bio diesel" adding to their fuel?
I don't know? I add Hughes when fueling unless it's bio-diesel. Or ATF.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:57 AM   #89

Costco diesel varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarSea View Post
Never seen diesel at Costco???
We live between 2 Costco stores on US101 in California. The older one is 25 miles north, but the fuel bays are very tight...it does not have diesel. The new one is 12 miles south about 2 years old and the fuel aisles are much wider and you can get in and out without winding thru the always crowded parking lot...if you enter from the south.

There are other stations nearby the new one that closely track Costco prices. One has the exact same prices as Costco and it is not a membership station. I've found good diesel prices at a couple Walmarts, but there aren't many that even have gas stations.
joesesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
I know two things for sure. From Arkansas to California, along I-40, all the truck stops I've used will have somewhere between B5-B20 (bio diesel)mix. Around home here, the convienence and grocery stores have real diesel, no bio-junk. I always try to fill up with non bio-diesel when I know the truck will set for awhile. The pumps are supposed to be marked if the fuel contains bio-diesel, but who knows when you're traveling. I concur, safer to use the big truck stops when away from home. However, it very well could be that straight diesel fuel would give you better fuel mileage, over bio-diesel, but not half again better. One thing to consider, bio-diesel is the best lubricator you can get, better than the additives so the tests say.

The web sites for Love's and Pilot will show if they have Bio fuel and at what blend percentage. If not stated, you can call the stations to find out what they are pumping. Cummins did not build engines for bio fuel until those manufactured in 2002 or later, and then only for B7. Love's across Texas are pumping B18.

When I left Texarkana at the end of December, these were my fuel stops headed West that had Diesel #2 without bio fuel. I dropped down to I-10 west of Fort Worth.

Valliant, OK - Loves #648
Cisco, TX - Flying J #551
Las Cruces, NM - Loves #259
Lordsburg, NM - Loves #276
Benson, AZ - Loves #460
Quartzsite, AZ - Pilot #328
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I don't know about most states but many Costco's in CA, OR and WA have diesel - problem is some are difficult for larger RV's to access.
there are no Costco's here in Arkansas. I have never seen a Costco
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #92

The filters in the Gas Buddy app can be used to help find Costco stations that carry diesel.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #93

Biodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
What do you suppose is the reason?

I always purchase full petroleum diesel unless really needing fuel and can only find bio diesel. Mileage drops from the normal 12.5~13.0 to 10.5 and even down to 9.0. This crap perpetuated by the EPA is consequently substantially more expensive to use not only from the decreased range but also the DEF (Cow P) milage is quite a bit less. I am not saying every one of the major T/S sell bio but you should be aware of the fuel they are pedaling. I avoid the large T/S mainly on price paid at the pump. Quite often there is a local station close by which might be as much as $.40 or more less. Just sayin'. Happy motoring!
rickshaw49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #94

Fuel contamination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
I Picked up a load of contaminated diesel fuel from Pilot in Meridian Ms. I filed a claim with Pilot, replaced the filter and drove home with no problem. Pilot asked if I wanted to get my RV checked out by a mechanic, I told them no as I didn't notice a problem driving home. I signed a release and was reimbursed for the fuel and filters. A few weeks later I brought the RV to a shop to get annual maintenance done and they discovered my primary electric fuel pump was leaking badly. The pump was replaced and since I had signed a release Pilot would do nothing more. My fault since I had signed a release and lesson learned. Don't drive any further than you have to before you change your fuel filter and get your rig checked before signing a release.

Major truckstops pump a lot of fuel. Often their tanks are replenished 2 or more times a day. Especially if the tank low the onrush of the new fuel into the tank will disturb (assuming the bottom of tank contains contaminates) and circulate the water and debris throughout the contents and if you buy fuel before they settle back down the pump will give you a nice present. OTR truck have fuel water separators costing hundreds of dollars and regular draining prevents most water problems. Our truck has a drain on the fuel filter which is not too hard to operate but never finding any water has made me lackadaisical about checking between filter changes. Fortunately there is a sensor which indicates a water problem on the dash and I hope it works as well as everything else on the truck. And that I never have to change out a filter on the road! There is about a gallon of fuel which needs to be drained and captured to pull the filter. Happy motoring!
rickshaw49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #95

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
As so many have said - ALL diesel is not the same. When you are buying from a truck stop - high probability that you are getting B-80. You rig will run - ut you will get less MPG.
Whenever possible, stick with Tier 1 Diesel stations such as Chevron and Shell. They have their diesel capped at 5% Bio which will significantly improve the performance and reliability of your rig.
Caution, A Shell station is not required to sell Shell branded diesel (but most do). But, if they do, it must be clearly marked with a sign saying "up to 5% bio". Our experience has been that Shell, Chevron and Citgo have higher quality diesel with better performance.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #96

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
As so many have said - ALL diesel is not the same. When you are buying from a truck stop - high probability that you are getting B-80. You rig will run - ut you will get less MPG.
You mean to say 'B-20', right?

They couldn't sell B-80 without proper labeling!!
Old 02-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
We will not purchase fuel from Flying J, T/A, or Pilot as we get half the fuel mileage than from Costco, Chevron, or Shell. Even Kroger/Fry's is better.
From Costco website
Where does Costco get gas from?
We receive our gasoline from the same major refineries and distributors that supply all of the gas stations in an area. Costco does not purchase gasoline from a single supplier. Typically the gasoline we purchase is unbranded.

I have used both for over 10 years that there is no difference between the two on quality or mileage results. Totally unfounded statement!!!!!!
Dkisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #98

My advice based on the first-hand experience is not to fuel-up anytime a fuel delivery truck is filling the storage tanks. My Duramax went into 'Limp Mode' before I got to the next exit, which required the fuel filter to be replaced.
Jackroderick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel