Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #1

Bad Florida RV dealer

What do you do when an RV dealer in central Florida decieves on a national website you hire an inspector that documents the deception and the dealer will not return you deposit
cyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

File a complaint with the local BBB there. If the deposit is worth the cost, hire a lawyer to send them a demand letter, with a threat to sue if not returned immediately.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #3

Secretary of State, also....

And if it's interstate fraud - it can become a federal case.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #4

Is there an inspection clause in the contract?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Secretary of State, also....

And if it's interstate fraud - it can become a federal case.
It was an ad on a website. I doubt the FBI, Homeland Security or the Justice Department are going to mobilize a team of agents to investigate RV ads.
We have no idea what actually the issues are. We have no knowledge of the terms of the deposit. A deposit being non refundable is not uncommon, especially if it took the RV in question off the market for a significant period of time.
We also donít know what was disputed. If the ad stated it was a diesel and turns out it is gas the guy has a legitimate point. If the ad said no body damage and the inspector noted a rock chip in the rear bumper I would side with the dealer. Many things usually stated in ads are opinions. With the information given it is impossible to even conclude the guy deserves to get his deposit back, much less determine it should be a matter for law enforcement.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
What's the name of this Central Florida dealer? Plus, you signed a purchase agreement/contract. What does that say about how your deposit is handled if you decline to complete the deal?

Your post lacks lots of important information that may or may not help you at all.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqk View Post
What do you do when an RV dealer in central Florida decieves on a national website you hire an inspector that documents the deception and the dealer will not return you deposit
Comments:
  • A description (with web link) of the deceptive advertising would be enormously helpful.
  • Dealer name and location? We live in Florida by the way, so have some interest in which dealer this is.
  • Are you located near the dealer? Before placing a deposit, did you see the motorhome in person?
  • What did your contract specify with regard to inspection results, and deposit return conditions?
  • Was the dealer willing to address issues found by the inspector?
More information will yield better answers/opinions, but typically it's your choice to get an inspector, and unless it's specified in the contract that you can back out (with a return of deposit) then I think you would be stuck with no refund.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Contact every agency possible and don't leave out the office of the FL attorney general. Once that expires, try an attorney for getting your money back, at no cost to you. They will usually pay up with the second option, if not for the first, rather than go through the hassle and adverse advertising.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would first call my credit card company to reverse payment due to fraud. Made them fight to try to keep the deposit. My CC will give me a credit when I file and the business has 90 days to fight it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #10

Here is a link that may help you understand the merits of your deposit in purchasing an RV:

https://northwestrving.com/is-it-saf...h-an-rv-dealer

Personally, two things I do that aid in my deposit recovery should the transaction become nullified for some reason:

1. Use a credit card for the initial "Good Earnest Deposit" to hold the unit in question.

2. Draft my own addendum and have it acknowledge by the business manager, that stipulates: "By placing a "Good Earnest Deposit" and negotiating in good faith to complete the purchase as agreed, the Buyer has 10 working days (two weeks) to reconsider, with or without cause, the purchase and any/all Deposits placed with the Dealer will be returned within 10 business days"

This has worked for me on two separate RV purchases. One, I did purchase the new unit and the other I did not when the dealer started playing the numbers game on my trade-in. My deposit was refunded back to my credit card in one week.

Of course, it's best to seek legal counsel if appropriate.

Good luck.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #11

Had a contract faxed over stating that a full refund would be given if certain elements of the rv failed an inspection
Had an inspection done....if you have had one done lately its not on their template anywhere to use the word fail Our inspector just reported observations and thats all
Nothing was signed on the fax

Now made a few calls to area lawyers no one knocking down my door to take this on

Will publish the name of the rv dealer when i make some progress
Just a note:when your inspector observes a roof leaking i think it seems reasonable to call it a fail but maybe i am missing something
cyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Had a contract faxed over stating that a full refund would be given if certain elements of the rv failed an inspection
Had an inspection done....if you have had one done lately its not on their template anywhere to use the word fail Our inspector just reported observations and thats all
Nothing was signed on the fax

Now made a few calls to area lawyers no one knocking down my door to take this on

Will publish the name of the rv dealer when i make some progress
Just a note:when your inspector observes a roof leaking i think it seems reasonable to call it a fail but maybe i am missing something
I would advise anyone when doing a contract to put in a dollar amount of the repair that would cause a failure. I put anything over $500 would result in cancellation or re-negotiating the contract.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #13

The dealer in Florida is probably Optimum - we had really bad feelings when we visited them a few years ago - just our opinion, just leery of folks that only know "yes" for an answer and make up probable causes for obviously broken items...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
You take him to court. Don't hire a lawyer. Do it yourself. It's easy. Courts will generally give pro se plaintiffs the benefit of the doubt. Probably the defendant will give you your deposit back and not even go to court. It would probably cost him more for his attorney than whatever the deposit was.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, florida