Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #1

Bad odor in Endeavor often

Especially with wind blowing. I've checked everywhere for leaks, replaced toilet, put Clorox in holding tanks, flushed vent pipe. someone suggested an air-in valve. I found them on-line, not in my coach (2003 Endeavor). Are they one-way valves that allow air into the system but not out?
shoalsgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

AAV's (Air Admittance Valves are typically installed on sink drain lines after the 'P' traps so that when dumping waste tank a negative pressure in sink drain line doesn't occur ...AAV is pulled open allowing air into drain line and then water in 'P' trap is NOT sucked out.

But when the AAV fails it usually fails in OPEN position and that allows waste tank odors to come back inside the RV

Look for them inside cabinet for Kitchen sink and bathroom sink
Rubber band a plastic bag over them and see if smell goes away.
Easy to replace.......handtightened/just unscrew to remove.
Better quality replacements available at Big Box Hardware or ACE

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

I am not sure about your coach, but many use an inline abs vent. They are usually located under your vanity. They are black in color and should be replaced every couple of years. They are very inexpensive. I prefer to spend more and forget about it. Below is what I am using. You can find the regular ones for about 7 dollars at most Lowes or Home Depot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Studor-Plas...-Valve/1081741
Old 04-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #4

When I bought my bus the lavatory sink didn't want to drain well. I did all of the above, including flushing the vent. It turned out that flushing the vent just drove the bird nest deeper into the pipe. I had to grapple it out.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
When I bought my bus the lavatory sink didn't want to drain well. I did all of the above, including flushing the vent. It turned out that flushing the vent just drove the bird nest deeper into the pipe. I had to grapple it out.

Next time......
WIth water ON keep pushing hose down the vent line

Course some screen over top of vent will stop those pesky birds from setting up house
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

I screened the top and pushed a ball of screen inside the pipe. The pipe was capped, but the cap gap was attractive and the birds managed to tilt it enough to get past it.

I was worried about blowing out a joint or something with the hose is why I went to the grapple. I'd already stuffed the hose in the bore and plugged around it with a rag. It wanted to blow back through the rag.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

shoalsgary,
Check for the air admittance valves as suggested.

If you have a black tank flush system then there is an anti-siphon valve installed in the water line between the outside hose connection and the black tank. If you have one it will be installed higher than the black tank. The only problem is finding it. Mine failed on my coach and I didn't realize an anti-siphon valve was installed. I chased the odor for about 4 years. Just mark me down as a slow learner.

Also, if you have a washer and you don't use it then the drain trap could be dry allowing gray tank odors to back up into the coach.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #8

uh oh! I shoulda looked down the vent tube with a flashlight before jamming the hose in!

Quote:
I screened the top and pushed a ball of screen inside the pipe. The pipe was capped, but the cap gap was attractive and the birds managed to tilt it enough to get past it.

I was worried about blowing out a joint or something with the hose is why I went to the grapple. I'd already stuffed the hose in the bore and plugged around it with a rag. It wanted to blow back through the rag.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #9

Mine flowed freely down the vent tube.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #10

My coach is a 2003, and I can't find any of these vents anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I am not sure about your coach, but many use an inline abs vent. They are usually located under your vanity. They are black in color and should be replaced every couple of years. They are very inexpensive. I prefer to spend more and forget about it. Below is what I am using. You can find the regular ones for about 7 dollars at most Lowes or Home Depot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Studor-Plas...-Valve/1081741

Tags
endeavor, odor