Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #1

Bad Premonition Comes True

Taking our coach back to VA from its winter home in FL and days leading up to this I had a bad gut feeling. Well, here we are stuck on the side of I95 at Pooler GA with an overheated engine. It blew some coolant out but not all. I had to dive for a mile before I could get over due to shoulder closed for construction. Now we hoping a semi doesn’t kill us. Called Cummins and they said to have it towed. Man I am sick to my stomach
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have safety cones or emergency warning triangles?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Do you have safety cones or emergency warning triangles?

No of course not. That would entail being prepared. What could go wrong on a coach with a Cummins 400 with only 11,000 miles. Sorry for being a Smart … but in 3 hours no one has stopped, Road Ranger type or police. Insurance company dropping the ball on a recovery. The tow guy cancelled and they didn’t let me know
Old 06-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Look for towing a company close by and call them. Ask if they can tow your rig.

It’s better to get off the road ASAP and go after your emergency road service company later IMHO.

Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dial 911 and ask for their next rotation wrecker for your vehicle size and weight and towing requirements. (Disconnect drive shaft - check your reqs)

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Dial 911. Georgia State police will provide protection and they have priority towing services available.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Thank you I finally got a wrecker coming. Safeco Insurance has been totally useless. Said I owed them $1895. Underwriter says it is BS policy on auto pay and is good. This is a nightmare. You would think one trooper would stop?????
Old 06-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #8

BTW I wouldn’t know where to begin to disconnect the drive shaft. Hopefully the wrecker will. My wife is never coming back in this thing. Last summer it was a blowout on the toad on I-75. Just not worth it anymore.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
BTW I wouldn’t know where to begin to disconnect the drive shaft. Hopefully the wrecker will. My wife is never coming back in this thing. Last summer it was a blowout on the toad on I-75. Just not worth it anymore.
Things happen. Would SWHBO give up the car when it has a flat or breaks down? Probably not. It's the size, frustration and vulnerability that seems to make things worse when the problems happen to our RVs.

I hope your tow operator is familiar with towing bus-sized motor homes. Take pictures of the front end of your coach - especially where the 'stinger' goes under the front cap/generator area. If they damage stuff you'll want to document that it was not damaged prior to the tow truck arriving... Ditto for the back end, you want to show that your hitch and rock flap had no existing damage (or at least to document the current condition).

The tow operator can either disconnect your drive shaft or pull the drive axles. You don't want the rear tires spinning your transmission as it WILL be damaged if the drive remains connected.

Sorry to hear about this issue and I hope you are towed to safety very, very soon.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #10

Calling star police has been a waste of time. 4 calls. 2 dropped. I should have dialed 911.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Taking our coach back to VA from its winter home in FL and days leading up to this I had a bad gut feeling. Well, here we are stuck on the side of I95 at Pooler GA with an overheated engine. It blew some coolant out but not all. I had to dive for a mile before I could get over due to shoulder closed for construction. Now we hoping a semi doesn’t kill us. Called Cummins and they said to have it towed. Man I am sick to my stomach
There is a Travel Camp dealership and I think a Camping World also around that exit
There are also several mobile techs that can come to you.

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The tow truck driver should either remove the drive shaft or pull each of the drive axles (which on a busy highway is a big safety issue). if they pull the drive axles they will have to put covers on the ends to keep the oil in. If the truck driver pulls the driveshaft he just needs to keep track of the bolts and Ujoint.

You won't be able to run your engine for air pressure so the truck drive will need to run a air line/hose from his rig to your coach, that way you can release the brakes.

Don't get in the tow truck drivers way, pay attention to what he's doing as if he knows your interested/watching he'll take care of you. If he lets you ride with him I'd take him up on it, let your wife drive the toad.

Last time I was towed it was on a memorial day weekend, we were headed home and stopped for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel. When I exited the coach I walked to the back to inspect everything and found I lost pretty much all my coolant due to road debris taking out the radiator. We stuck in the parking lot.

Sent my wife home in the toad with all the dogs and I stayed with the motorhome.

First tow truck company sent a pickup to scope out what was needed and said he'd be back. ~8 hours later nothing and I had to hunker down the the night. I told the Cracker Barrel manager what was going on and they were fine with me staying the nigh.

The next day AAA located another tow truck company who sent a truck but they would come into the Cracker Barrel parking lot and said I had to drive it down the road to a large empty lot. Since I didn't know how long it would take for me to get the rig out of the parking lot I had rig a hose from my freshwater take/pump to the radiator and as soon I started the rig I started the pump. Built air and worked my way through the parking lot (pouring mostly fresh water the whole way) and got to where the tow truck was. From there the tow truck driver did the rest, but I paid attention, but he did everything right. He even took the time to tie up my full mud flap which would have been torn off if we left it hanging. Once hooked up I rode with him the ~+90 miles to the Cummins shop. The drive was good, knew every bump in the road and either went to the other lane or slowed down.

FWIW we had our Class C towed once, and our Class A towed twice.

So hang in there.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Things happen. Would SWHBO give up the car when it has a flat or breaks down? Probably not. It's the size, frustration and vulnerability that seems to make things worse when the problems happen to our RVs.

I hope your tow operator is familiar with towing bus-sized motor homes. Take pictures of the front end of your coach - especially where the 'stinger' goes under the front cap/generator area. If they damage stuff you'll want to document that it was not damaged prior to the tow truck arriving... Ditto for the back end, you want to show that your hitch and rock flap had no existing damage (or at least to document the current condition).

The tow operator can either disconnect your drive shaft or pull the drive axles. You don't want the rear tires spinning your transmission as it WILL be damaged if the drive remains connected.

Sorry to hear about this issue and I hope you are towed to safety very, very soon.
Remember, you will also have to add air to your shocks. The tow driver should have an air hose that can connect to your coach.

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #14

Calling state police has been a waste of time. 4 calls. 2 dropped. I should have dialed 911. $ people took my info and haven’t seen GDOT or state patrol.