Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bad purchase from MHSRV.

Found out after buying my 04 HR Admiral from MHSRV and experiencing this heavy tropical depression we've had here that my coach has more leaks than a WWII submarine :-(
I tried to do as thorough and inspection as I could but apparently I couldn't catch everything. I caught some things that were more obvious but out of all the leaks are the most formidable.
Having said that if you are buying used take all necessary steps to ensure your getting a good purchase no matter what it entails!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

We bought our '04 Southwind from them last year and couldn't be happier.

We hired an independent inspector (Quality Mobile RV) recommended by MHSRV and he did a very thorough job. Cost $400. Gave us a detailed results sheet and we had him fix a few things he found.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably one of the hardest things to spot during inspection. Unless you're in a downpour, the only thing to look for is bad seals and evidence of leaking on he interior.

I would think they would be good for the repair?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As much rain as that area had had in the last week or so I wouldn't be at all surprised if half of the new ones on the lot have some leaks as well.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #5

Thing is I used an inspector also, he spotted some issues that were there. But like it's been said unless you're buying during a soaking rain they're hard to find.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
We bought our '04 Southwind from them last year and couldn't be happier.

We hired an independent inspector (Quality Mobile RV) recommended by MHSRV and he did a very thorough job. Cost $400. Gave us a detailed results sheet and we had him fix a few things he found.
Consider yourself lucky then!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Using an inspector that the seller recommends? Did the seller get a kick-back?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen this issue on a few threads over the last few months. I am convinced if or when I buy my next coach I will have it put thru a rain barn. I know the manufactures have them, I would bet someone like MHRV would have access to one. I was lucky when I purchased my bounder in Tampa. I had a few downpours during paperwork and delivery and spotted a small leak over the dash. Turned out as many (not just Fleetwood) have found the front CAP lites on top had not been silicone properly. Frustrating but not a big deal, dealer corrected right away and next days downpour check out just fine. Have been thru several heavy rains since and never seen any leaks, something I watch for always on my coach.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
I have seen this issue on a few threads over the last few months. I am convinced if or when I buy my next coach I will have it put thru a rain barn. I know the manufactures have them, I would bet someone like MHRV would have access to one. I was lucky when I purchased my bounder in Tampa. I had a few downpours during paperwork and delivery and spotted a small leak over the dash. Turned out as many (not just Fleetwood) have found the front CAP lites on top had not been silicone properly. Frustrating but not a big deal, dealer corrected right away and next days downpour check out just fine. Have been thru several heavy rains since and never seen any leaks, something I watch for always on my coach.
There's one right up the road at the old Ancira dealership locationi.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Ha d the same problem, left the dealer in a storm and found a leak on our dash. Front cap wasn't re sealed all the way across. ( Tech let his mind wander and it never came back). A not so quick return to the dealer and a reseal fixed it up. RV caulking can be found at many places. If your able do it yourself and know its done right.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

I'm not seeing how this has anything to do with MHSRV. Is there some other dealer where you could buy a 13-year-old motorhome that has zero leaks after a series of torrential downpours, other than by pure luck?

I sympathize with your situation, but it strikes me as more an unfortunate coincidence than anything else.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
I'm not seeing how this has anything to do with MHSRV. Is there some other dealer where you could buy a 13-year-old motorhome that has zero leaks after a series of torrential downpours, other than by pure luck?

I sympathize with your situation, but it strikes me as more an unfortunate coincidence than anything else.
I agree. If you didn't see any water damage when you were looking it over then it probably didn't have any issues. You can spot water damage easily. The heavy rains could create leaks in any RVs especially if they were coming from all directions.

Get it dried out immediately - lot of fans in the basement, too. Then do a completely once-over on caulked areas. Best of luck. I'm sure it's disappointing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #13

sorry for your trouble but a roll of eternabond and a couple hours you will be a happy camper for years to come
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #14

@ Gannet @twogypsies I purchased this coach less than 3 weeks ago, these leaks didn't just develop. When I did purchase there had been a dry spell for several weeks. This post is basically to let anyone who is considering buying a used coach know of the possible ramifications and to be diligent in the process. I bought this coach at MHSRV so that's where my experience took place. So it has everything to do with me.

Tags
purchase