Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #1

Angry Baggage latch replacement on 98' Adventurer

I have been exploring this site looking for threads on replacing latches on the baggage doors. However, all the threads talk about removing the old latches from the outside of the door. On my doors the mechanism is riveted in but the latch is not accessible from the outside. I understand how to drill out the rivets but what then? There is no way to pull out the latch because it must be inside the door. Anyone else have this issue and anyone know how to fix the problem...?
Tim Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you talked to the factorey? They should know how to change them.
I also found this.
The latch fix was very easy. Open the door and take off the molded cover in the center of the door to expose the handle/opening mechanism. You will see the rods that go to the side of the door to operate the latch -- one going to each side. I used a pair of needle nose plyers to snap off the retainer spring and then removed the end of the rod from the door opening cam. My door is foam filled so I did not have to worry about the rod falling into the door. Drill out the rivets from the edge of the door and then the whole "mechanism" will slide out. Make sure you put the rod into the same hole on the new latch, slide it back in, threading the rod to where it needs to be and pop rivet the new latch into place. Reconnect the metal retainer spring, put the plastic cover back into place and the job is done. It takes about 10 minutes a latch. If I did not have the foam in the door, I would tie a piece of small strong cord to the latch rod when it was removed and then you can pull / guide it back into place when the new latching mechanism is put on the end (will also prevent the rod from falling into the door and then -- you will have to take the door apart to get the rod back). Actually this is a very easy fix.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, adventurer, replace, replacement, vent