Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcoleman View Post

I used to own a Hummer H1 back in 1995. Before they became too expensive to take off road. I used centramatic balancers and they blew me away how well they worked. I am going to try some beads and have seen some that can be put in via the valve stem, tire already mounted. At around 15 bucks per tire, seems a reasonable investment. Definitely cheaper than centramatics.
I would NOT recommend using the beads on your Hummer if you still own it due to the dynamics of automobile tires. Also, the beads that are installed through the stem are VERY tiny and require special Stem Valves to prevent them from getting clogged in the air valve. That's why for RV's the recommended size is 2mm ceramic Dyna Beads installed by using the EZ Open Bags.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would NOT recommend using the beads on your Hummer if you still own it due to the dynamics of automobile itres. Also, the beads that are installed through the stem are VERY tiny and require special Stem Valves to prevent them from getting clogged in the air valve. That's why for RV's the recommended size is 2mm ceramic Dyna Beads installed by using the EZ Open Bags.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I did not mean to imply I would use beads with the Hummer. It had bead locked run flat tires with tire pressures controlled from cockpit. They would never have worked. I wish I had never sold that vehicle. Truly a great vehicle. I will try to find the 2mm beads when the time comes. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcoleman View Post

I will try to find the 2mm beads when the time comes. Thanks!
They are available at this link.

Dyna Beads and Accessories

Scroll down the page until you see RV's & Motorhomes.

Also visit their Facts & Questions Page which will answer almost any question or concern that you may have in regards to using balancing beads.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Must be that we have way too much extra cash on hand to throw away on useless products that don't work!

Balancing Bead Threads - iRV2.com - 22 pages

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Apparently, you do.

Me? I don't waste my money on things I don't need to buy. I listen to actual experts. Missed it where you posted your professional expertise in the tire business. . .
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post

Apparently, you do.

Me? I don't waste my money on things I don't need to buy. I listen to actual experts. Missed it where you posted your professional expertise in the tire business. . .

No expertise in anything with very little common sense and super wealthy with plenty of money to burn.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #34

When I looked after a fleet of heavy trucks we tried the beads on 2 trucks.
It was the last 2 trucks we tried them on. The tire size was 11R 22.5
We went back to the normal balance procedure.
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Her is what I found to work better than balancing beads in the tires.
Centramatic Wheel Balancers: Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic
You put these on and OH what a difference. The advantage is you can take them with you when you change MH's in most cases.
Yes they are balance beads but they don't go into the tires so no fuss no mess and they balance out the dreaded dually also.
They also don't interfere with any TPMS because they are not part of the tire itself.
I have used them on various vehicles and would not go without them on any large pickup or large SUV.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #36

I put beads in my new motorcycle tires about 4000 miles ago and it's riding smoothly. It makes sense to me that each trip is re-balanced because the beads re-distribute if necessary after every stop. So as the shape of the tread changes, so does the bead distribution.

My instructions said to not put the shipping bag in the tire and I had the installer not get liquid inside the tires.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #37

Scott, another vote for Centramatics. When I was shown them I was skeptical but did it anyway. They are not cheap but the motorhome is smooth for the last 2 years. If/when I replace tires, the Centramatics will go back on. Again, not cheap but nothing with motorhomes is anyway.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Which ones ?

I had tires replaced in GA. and PA. at heavy truck, tire shops. They spin balanced them, never offering to install the beads, that spilled out of the old tires.

Do the road service trucks carry them, for all the on-road tire replacements ?

Anyone reading this post, who had a tire replaced by roadside service, have them installed ?

My comment was based on previous threads on this subject in which people who owned, or previously owned, trucking companies had used the beads successfully for many years.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #39

I have run beads in both motor cycles for years with great success in balance,and tire
wear. I'am going to try centramatics on the coach, only because I don't want to break
down the wheels to install. Motor cycle you just pour in valve stem, and change to a
different core.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
I have run beads in both motor cycles for years with great success in balance,and tire
wear. I'am going to try centramatics on the coach, only because I don't want to break
down the wheels to install. Motor cycle you just pour in valve stem, and change to a
different core.
I used them for quite some time on my bikes and never changed the core. I just made sure the stem was on the upper half of the wheel and hit them with a spritz of air to blow them out before checking. That was easy on a two-wheeler but not so much on a six-wheeler

I did an experiment with them a few years back -- should have videoed it. But I put the bike on a stand with the rear wheel up and spun it up to around 60mph. I got a little shake but nothing dramatic. Then I added 2 ounces of weights to one spot and spun it up again. Not surprisingly, it shook like crazy. Then I added two ounces of Dynabeads and spun it up again. For the first couple of seconds it shook, then it settled down and ran smoothly.

Was this test performed under scientific conditions? Well, no. Does it apply to RVs? Well, maybe. But it satisfied me that they could work.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
And your expertise in the tire business is - what - exactly?

I'll take advice from the guy who spent an entire lifetime in that business and save my money.
We could probably find a tire expert that uses and endorses them. Then we could have competing experts

This is sort of like competing experts at trial. The prosecution and defense both hire experts to look at the same evidence and come to wildly different conclusions. Of course, they're paid to reach a conclusions favorable to their clients.

As I said in my above post I used them for some time in my motorcycles, and they worked fine -- most of the time. But I did have a couple of tires that shook. And getting those beads out is an ordeal. For that reason, I went back to stick-on weights.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
My tire shop is against the beads and some say they will collect moisture and stick together, causing them to become ineffective. Also clogging up the valve stem on occasion. Right how, I have computer balancing on the fronts and beads in the rear, except for one or two of them. Coach runs smooth, no matter and as it always has.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote